Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone move their egg across the country?

Options
My daughter and family are moving from Louisiana to Michigan.  They are having professional movers pack and move them but are concerned about their large BGE.  I see on searches that people are recommending building crates, using pallets to move them but I am looking for more detail.

Does the egg need to be disassembled at all?  Do you need to bubble wrap each component?  Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    You might have them check with an egg dealer and see if they could save some packing from an egg that they setup for someone.  The eggs are shipped from Mexico so the OEM packaging must do a decent job.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Mine was moved about 400 miles. Just removed the inner parts, left it in the table and strapped it down. Kissed it goodbye and kissed when it arrived in one piece.  Moved a second one about 200 miles, strapped it down in the back of my truck and turned out great. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Protect it best you can. Dad just had his po ved across town and when they wheeled down the ramp, wheel caught and boom. Busted into many pieces and is now fighting them with their damage center to get it replaced. There moving insurance is a total joke.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Personally I would move it in the car belted in. But it depends on if they are driving direct. If not I would keep it in the table belted down. If no table, I agree, check a local egg dealer for packing material. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Personally I would move it in the car belted in. But it depends on if they are driving direct. If not I would keep it in the table belted down. If no table, I agree, check a local egg dealer for packing material. 
    Me too, In car, seatbelt. Could store guts bubble wrapped in trunk. 

I would not trust anyone. The original; packing is nothing to write homne about but the shippers and handlers know the contents unlike some movers that will toss and turn stuff. 

I helped pack two domes to ship cross count - paper stuffing pading , bubble, pop-corn, strapping etc.  - didn't work. 

Once it leaves your site you have no control. At least of it cracks in your possession it was your fault.  If you lose control and it gets cracked you'll  play shoulda woulda coulda. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Moved mine from Tampa to Nashville in the back of a Ryder truck. I bubble wrapped the guts. Then I ran a ratchet strap through the bottom vent and out the top vent and tightened it down. This kept it the lid from bouncing. Then I strapped it to a rail inside the truck with a wide ratchet strap while it was in the nest. No problems at all. I was more concerned with moving my egg than any of the other family heirlooms or antiques. Good luck. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    The problem is, people who have no affiliation or knowledge of ceramic cookers have no concept of how to move or what to watch for. They think because they are heavy, that they are solid and can't be broken. It also depends on if this is a corporately paid move and who the moving company is. But I would belt it in just to alleviate the anxiety and the possible headache. If none of this is a possibility I would meet with the moving company manager/supervisor and fully explain things. I would also take a very close look at their damage policy. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Professional movers are bonded. I wouldn't touch it. It's their responsibility; that's what they get paid to do. 
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    When I moved from New Mexico to Colorado (500~ miles). I wrapped the ceramics in bubble wrap then put them back in the egg. For the exterior I put the egg in the back of a pickup surrounded by outdoor cushions and strapped to the pickup.. It worked for me... that was the XL for the small i wrapped the ceramics in bubble wrap then put it in a box with peanuts and strapped the box to the pickup also surrounded by cushions 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Moved mine from North GA Mountain Eggfest to Southside of Atlanta in the back of a Ford Explorer.  Belted in and strapped down with ratcheting straps.  Used a couple pieces of cardboard to wedge the firebox in and fire-ring in.  Winding N GA mtn roads to the piedmont flats was fun, but I was stressing like crazy. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Professional movers are bonded. I wouldn't touch it. It's their responsibility; that's what they get paid to do. 
    Perhaps but the weight of the Egg alone would be very expensive to move cross country. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Perhaps but the weight of the Egg alone would be very expensive to move cross country. 
    When they've got a 53' big rig loaded down with thousands of lbs of your stuff, the egg isn't going to make a noticeable difference. 

My .02 is for them to worry about the stuff that can't be replaced such as family pics, heirlooms, etc. and let the movers handle everything else. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I took my small & mini from Michigan to Henapple's Tennesee spree this summer.  Granted they're smaller, but the principle is the same.  I had cardboard between each component and between the base & dome.  We had some rough roads (Michigan's infamous potholes), but made it there & back without incident.
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I took my small & mini from Michigan to Henapple's Tennesee spree this summer.  Granted they're smaller, but the principle is the same.  I had cardboard between each component and between the base & dome.  We had some rough roads (Michigan's infamous potholes), but made it there & back without incident.
    I went to the same party about 300 miles round trip with the large wrapped in a blanket and strapped to the side of the pick up bed and mm sitting in the corner jammed in with all my crap. No cardboard, no bubble wrap, guts inside, no problem. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Protect it best you can. Dad just had his po ved across town and when they wheeled down the ramp, wheel caught and boom. Busted into many pieces and is now fighting them with their damage center to get it replaced. There moving insurance is a total joke.
    That is the main reason when I move, I will move all of my grills, CI, kitchen tools, etc etc.  I know, without a doubt, any mover would Fock one of them up.  

Even if it were cross country.  I would plan a couple of trips to the next house with my sentimental, fragile items.  For the record, my eggs would be in the fragile category. 

Not worth the headache, when I can easily do it myself.  
    Sorry BF your dad has to deal with this. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Moved from Seattle to Texas.  Movers crated the LBGE and wrapped all of the internals in paper.  No problem.  The small had the internals wrapped in paper and stuffed in a box full of paper.  Everything arrived in great condition.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Cubs1908
    Options
    I have a friend who is a professional cross country mover.  He said Eggheads can be the worst.  Way to hands on and worried about the Egg.  He's moved over 500 of them over the years but some Egg owners treat him like he's never seen one and can't comprehend how important and delicate it is.  Bottom line if you hired professionals to load or move you ask them if they have ever moved one before, if they sat yes, get outta the way.
    Schaumburg, IL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    We've done 130 competitions from Kansas City to Vermont to Georgia.  They are packed in the trailer, strapped against the wall with the hinge to the back.  They travel in the nest with all guts inside.  Not lost one ceramic part from the travels. See if you can get the mover to strap it tight to the wall.

My guess is 35,000 miles with 4 EGGs in my trailer, no issues. The Medium and Small EGGs are strapped into the bed of my Tundra, hinge against the cab. Also with all guts inside. 

Good luck with the move! Always stressful.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ