Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Wanting to buy a vacuum sealer - looking for advice

Options

Comments

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    We have had 2 food savers one a few years ago that looked like just a basic model. All white nothing shiny just 2 options to choose from. Worked amazing and would work for hours at a time. It finally went out so we got a newer nicer looking one and it's ok. It doesn't have the suction the other did and sometimes doesn't get all the air out. Luck of the draw maybe? Who knows. Next I'll probably look into either the commercial grade ones of a chamber vac.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have had a Westin PRO-2300 for 4-5 years now. Will handle 15" wide bags and the seal itself is 3/16" or 1/4" wide, which I like.

Weston offers no accessories like canisters or marinating attachments or the like. I had some from a previous vac sealer and tried to adapt them to the Weston, but without success. The only add-on that I know of is a repair kit (a neoprene gasket and teflon tape that covers the heat sealing strip. I bought it, but haven't needed it yet.

There is a manual seal button for making bags from a roll or if you want to seal something without crushing it. But sealing without removing all the air sort of defeats the point of vac sealing. 

Far less expensive than the chamber sealers, but quite a bit more than the Foodsavers. I used to hear about FS units not lasting very long and I had an old Rival Seal-a-Meal that was a POS, so I decided to get this one. No regrets. The bags are the same type as the Foodsaver, i.e. expensive, but you are not limited to one particular brand of bag.

Oh, and it IS rather large and heavy. 22-1/2 by 12-1/4 by 6 inches and weighs about 25 lbs. Plus, it's kinda industrial looking. I have owned CARS that were smaller so if you have limited counter space, that may be a concern. Would be a pain to have to put this away after each use. And where, exactly, is "away"? LOL.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    What is the difference between the Vacmaster 112s, 120, 210 and 215 besides the price? Which one wod you recommend for use around the house?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RRP said:
    @jimithing     I freeze many things before sealing.  Liquid items, fruit, fish and most soft items should be frozen first and then vacuum sealed.  

@RRP   you are the master at practical solutions. I was just getting ready to post about my sealer, and was going to mention that I had difficulty sealing liquids like soup and spaghetti sauce etc.. I am excited that I no longer half to think for myself....I just need to ask you. Thanks for all that you do.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    There's really not a best of both worlds...maybe when you start getting over $1000.00.  But I didn't want to go that high.  I got the VP210 and have had it for a year, I'd prefer a longer than 10" seal bar, but it works great and I haven't had any issues.  I think I paid around 700.00 for it
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @RRP   you are the master at practical solutions. I was just getting ready to post about my sealer, and was going to mention that I had difficulty sealing liquids like soup and spaghetti sauce etc.. I am excited that I no longer half to think for myself....I just need to ask you. Thanks for all that you do.

Yeah, I've have to wipe the bag edges all the time.  This is a great solution.

I'd like to know how Ron has kept the same cut up plastic cup from breaking for 12 years.  I can't keep one of those from cracking 12 minutes.

Phoenix 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    RRP said:
    @jimithing     I freeze many things before sealing.  Liquid items, fruit, fish and most soft items should be frozen first and then vacuum sealed.  
    Me too! Here's my little trick...I cut the bottom off a plastic glass which lets me pour a pint of soup in the bag in which I will seal first with a clamp, then freeze and then seal the next day. When freezing I lay and stack them flat so storage in the freezer will take up less space. Works for me and  this "glass" is probably 12 years old! =)

I just fold the edges down and fill with what ever might taint the seal.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    What is the difference between the Vacmaster 112s, 120, 210 and 215 besides the price? Which one wod you recommend for use around the house?
    Dave, you can visit this link and click on "Culinary Vacmaster Comparison Chart". Of the three you listed, other than the size differences, the most significant difference is that 215 has rotary oil pump whereas the rest has dry piston pump.
    https://cedarlaneculinary.ca/Products/Detail?code=VP112&lob=Culinary

Even the entry level 112 is more than sufficient for home use.  I went overboard and got the 215 for its oil pump, very happy with it except when I need to seal large hunks of meat infrequently but I still have my old FS for that.
    canuckland
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    RRP said:
    Me too! Here's my little trick...I cut the bottom off a plastic glass which lets me pour a pint of soup in the bag in which I will seal first with a clamp, then freeze and then seal the next day. When freezing I lay and stack them flat so storage in the freezer will take up less space. Works for me and  this "glass" is probably 12 years old! =)

Nice little trick to prevent the liquid from getting close to the area that's going to be sealed.  Getting the liquid to lay flat is definitely the way to go.  Makes it easier to stack them in the freezer.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Davec433
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Dave, you can visit this link and click on "Culinary Vacmaster Comparison Chart". Of the three you listed, other than the size differences, the most significant difference is that 215 has rotary oil pump whereas the rest has dry piston pump.
    https://cedarlaneculinary.ca/Products/Detail?code=VP112&lob=Culinary

Even the entry level 112 is more than sufficient for home use.  I went overboard and got the 215 for its oil pump, very happy with it except when I need to seal large hunks of meat but I still have my old FS for that.
    Is the oil pump worth the extra money? I've heard you can change the oil if need be just not sure how much use it would need to warrant the change. Did you put yours on a cart? Or do you move it each time you want to use it? 
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Davec433 I'm in canuckland, when I was ordering at amazon dot ca, if I remember right, the price difference between dry pump model and the 215 was less than CAD 200. To put it in perspective, I paid CAD 999 for the 215 at the time (I think it was a pricing error, it went up to almost right after I bought). It came with an accessory bag that includes a bottle of oil, tools and replacement heat strips. Yes mine is on a SS cart. The manual has instruction on how often to change oil, but (like new cars) I like to do the initial change sooner than recommended.
    I think this place has good pricing, check out the new 2-in-1 machine DUO550
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14279/vacuum-packaging-machines.html
    canuckland
  • Davec433
    Options
    I like the DUO it just look durable like all the others.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I think my 215 manual or the Interwebs said 25 hrs  first change   then 60 hrs subsequent.   As I may take awhile to hit either number  I may change more frequently.    Not hard to change...
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    well you are getting lots of options @SciAggie !    And to think  almost went to pg 2.  Please don't think anyone is pushing you to overbuy.  Some of the folks do enough to justify the big sealers,  others just are toy ho's (uh... me )    and some are just reasonable modest users who are chiming in nicely with items that fit your budget.  Am glad you got the education you did though...
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I like the DUO it just look durable like all the others.
    seal bar is wide, but max bag depth is only 8" ?  I guess they have to compromise in order to accommodate the external sealer.
    canuckland
  • Davec433
    Options
    I'll probably go with the 215 since it'll ptobably last forever and will pay for itself with all the food that ends up going bad sitting in the fridge.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I have a Foodsaver Gamesaver and it is the second foodsaver I have had. It is Great for all types of meat and my first one lasted about 12 yrs before we decided to replace it.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I'll probably go with the 215 since it'll ptobably last forever and will pay for itself with all the food that ends up going bad sitting in the fridge.
    @Davec433 I have the VP215 oil pump model and I am very happy with it.  Earlier in the thread you asked about a SS Cart versus leaving it on the counter.  We have ours on the counter and we probably use it three to five times per week for leftovers.  When it's on the counter it is very convenient to bag and seal the leftovers so I know we are using it more often, which is a good thing.  It is nice not using containers that take up a lot of room in the fridge.  You will be happy with the VP215 if you can swing it.  Just remember that you are limited by the size of the bags with chamber vacuum sealers.  I still have a traditional food saver sealer that I use for the occasional dry aging or irregular, over sized items. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited August 2015
    Options
    blasting said:

I'd like to know how Ron has kept the same cut up plastic cup from breaking for 12 years.  I can't keep one of those from cracking 12 minutes.

LOL - here's my trick to making it last all these years. I have always stored it over my kitchen food string.

Here's a funny story. Years ago a lady doctor who posts as eeniemeanie took my advice but used a nice heavy plastic glass that she had someone carefully saw off the bottom. She kept it in her cupboard along with other glasses. One day her mother was visiting and yup...she grabbed that glass and proceeded to pour tea all over the counter!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RollTideRob
    Options
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    RRP said:

That's a great little trick!  What kind of a clamp do you use to seal the bag for freezing? Do you have a photo of it?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I use Ziploc freezer bags and a straw.  Works just fine and replacement parts cost next to nothing!!~~
  • RRP
    Options
    78 T140E said:

That's a great little trick!  What kind of a clamp do you use to seal the bag for freezing? Do you have a photo of it?
    I just use strong bag clips like these. Secret is to fold over the two  corners and then clamp tightly. After frozen the top has remained clean and will seal better.

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited August 2015
    Options
    get your bags here:  http://www.thevakshack.com/Home.html  no affiliation but great quality bags at dirt cheap prices

i "think" the difference in the $60 and the $160 one at costco is the latter handles liquids better.   i have it and love it.

• RRP
    Options
    tonyled said:
    get your bags here:  http://www.thevakshack.com/Home.html  no affiliation but great quality bags at dirt cheap prices

i "think" the difference in the $60 and the $160 one at costco is the latter handles liquids better.   i have it and love it.

Here's another source that I have bought thousands of bags from!
    http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/1617042.htm

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I have the Vacmaster Pro 305 which is replaced by the Pro350.  Great results.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-pro-350-external-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-12-seal-bar/120VMA350.html
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    RRP said:
    78 T140E said:

I just use strong bag clips like these. Secret is to fold over the two  corners and then clamp tightly. After frozen the top has remained clean and will seal better.

Fold the corners over - I should have thought of that - thanks for the pic!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    well you are getting lots of options @SciAggie !    And to think  almost went to pg 2.  Please don't think anyone is pushing you to overbuy.  Some of the folks do enough to justify the big sealers,  others just are toy ho's (uh... me )    and some are just reasonable modest users who are chiming in nicely with items that fit your budget.  Am glad you got the education you did though...
    Yes, this is what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for their input. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Weston!
    Lenoir, N.C.