Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp & Scallop Feast (Pic Heavy)

We decided to make shrimp and scallops to add to the Fettuccine Alfredo that our oldest daughter requested for her birthday. I grilled up some bread for a Shiitake and Truffle mushroom bruchetta as an appetizer and we also had a Caprese Salad on the side. It all turned out great. 

I tried to get the Egg stabilized at 350* but she liked 400* better today so I just went with it. I skewered the shrimp (16 count) and hit it with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper....grilled it direct, lid down with no added wood for 2 1/2 minutes then flipped them for the exact same amount of time on the other side before pulling them.

I preheated the pan that I used for the scallops in the oven to 400* to shorten the time between the two cooks. I wanted the shrimp to rest a bit....but not too long. Preheating the pan saved me about 5 minutes. I prepped the scallops basically the same way with olive oil, salt & pepper. I placed them on the 400+* pan and shut the lid for 3 minutes....I flipped them and shut the BGE down completely for another 2 minutes then began pulling them off at the 5 minute total cook mark. They were perfect for our taste.....medium/+.  If you like them more rare you may want to go 3/1.....or 3/3 of you like them more well done. 

Our daughters had theirs over the pasta and Mrs PASmoke & I had ours with just the Caprese Salad. We were all very happy!

I paired it with a 1995 Smith Haut Lafite which is one of my favorite white wines in the world. It was a splurge for sure - but we are quickly approaching a time of year when I drink a lot more red and I didn't want to wait until next Spring to open this.

Lessons Learned: Less is more on Shrimp. I usually have a tendency of overcooking shrimp because I go by texture. This cook I just trusted the time....and even though they didn't feel "done" to the touch I pulled them off anyway. I bet it cooked another 15/20% while resting and they ended up perfect. 

I hope everyone had a nice weekend....Y'all have a great week! 

Raw Shrimp:

Raw Scallops:

Shrimp on the Egg:

Scallops on the Egg:

The Mushroom & Truffle Bruschetta:

The Caprese Salad:

The Pasta:

The Finished Product:

And Finally, the Wine!

Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

Comments