Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's wrong with briquettes?

Options
13»

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Ash, reusability and taste.  Lump just gives a much better taste.  Even briquettes that don't have lighter fluid already added, still leaves an artificial taste (IMO).  Lump takes less time to start than bqts, burns hotter (when needed) and just plain tastes better. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I use briquettes sometimes...to start a fire in my fire pit. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I use 6 D cell batteries ( or a couple handfuls of 9vts in a pinch) in a chimney starter, once it gets going I dump it into my egg piled high with royal oak, and only ever royal oak, none of that cowboy sh!t.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I just received a BGE as a gift. The paper work that came with it says briquettes are verboten.
    I might be way wrong on this, but i think i heard somewhere that technically putting those aftermarket accesories is also against BGE rules - voids the  warranty.    Can't say for sure, and I threw my manual out though =)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options

I never said you couldn't taste the difference. All I said is my gasser doesn't dry out my food. 
    What brand/model gasser do you have?

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    The problem with briquettes is they are too uniform in shape & size.  Variety is the spice of life. :lol:
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.