Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shop vac for the Egg

Options
Does anyone else keep a shop vac handy to clean their Egg between cooks?  

My standard procedure is to shake and remove the Kick Ash Basket, vacuum all the ash and little bits of lump, and vacuum out all the holes, gaps, and vents.  

I I bought the cheap Home Depot Buckethead vac and just leave it outside next to the egg all the time.  Big chunks of lump will clog it so I just remove those by hand.   I have to empty it every 8-10 uses.    
XL and Med Eggs
SW Houston, TX

Comments

• TexasCurt
    Options
    XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I have one with a stainless steel canister.  I've seen plastic ones melt through.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a stainless one that I use to vacuum up ash. I put the paper dust bag in it and dump the ash around the evergreens. Most of the time I use it with the hose in the exhaust port when I want a hot fire. Just stick it in the lower vent and it buries the needle in a minute or so

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I bought one to do just this and the first time I tried it I got a HUGE plume of fine ash everywhere. I didn't have the paper bag or any other filter in. I sort of gave up after that. Maybe worth a try with the dust bag...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • TexasCurt
    Options
    I don't  do it with hot ash/coals.  I also use the filter.  
    XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I too use a shop vac to clean up my ashes. I don't know how you would melt one unless you're sucking up hot ash and who in their right mind would do that? 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    I too use a shop vac to clean up my ashes. I don't know how you would melt one unless you're sucking up hot ash and who in their right mind would do that? 
    You would be surprised how long lump can stay smoldering.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TexasCurt
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    You would be surprised how long lump can stay smoldering.
    I typically wait an entire day.   I'd be very surprised if it is smoldering a day later with vent closed and top on. 
    XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• MRbge
    MRbge Posts: 40
    Options
    I have the basket and use my $30 shop vac.  Usually clean next day after every use.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I used to, now about every third or forth cook I just rake out the ashes into an old plastic grocery bag...faster than the vac and less hassle. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Every 4th or 5th cook, I take 'er down for a good vacuuming.   However, I simply can't afford 12$ FILTERS so am fabricating a cyclonic PRE filter which will be about 95% or better effective.  

Also, don't forget that MOST shop vacs will 'blow' as well as 'vac' so you can get into otherwise inaccessible places.   Wear a DUST MASK for this operation and maybe safety glasses, too.  

Oneida makes a 'Dust Deputy' for about 50$ which needs only one of those 5 gallon buckets available at the home stores.  
    A guy with the DIY Gene can fabricate one for the cheap.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I have always used a shop vac (plastic version) with no problems at all.  Of course I only clean it out every 4-6 cooks or so and always at the beginning of a cook after the Egg has been shut down for at least a couple days, but usually longer....NEVER at the end of one.  Not sure who would do that.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Maybe I'm an egg abuser, but in four years I've never vacuumed my MBGE. Hell, I've only had the firebox/ring out once. The ash rake does the trick and an old venturri brush cleaned the vent holes. Age old tip is to keep some ash in the bottom, it actually insulates the base from the direct burning lump above the fire grate, IR does travel in any direction, much like in a wood stove - you never clean it out down to the fire brick liner.
    I'm either terribly lazy or you guys are overthinking this.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I'm with Skiddy on this one. I use the rake and my pinkie works great for unplugging the side holes. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    When I first started, I was vacuuming, pulling guts out etc all the time. Now, I use the ash tool to make sure I have air flow. After about 20# of lump burn, I'll take out into an old dust pan and throw it out under some trees where no grass will grow. 

Im just too lazy and it doesn't matter. For an overnight cook, I'll make sure holes aren't plugged. 
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I do a full clean out once every couple months, high heat burn off, then a wire brush to the insides, remove all the guts, vacuum out and reassemble and tighten bolts. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I do a full clean every 3hrs of use.  Even if it is in the middle of a cook.  I remove the protein, get my leather gloves and pull all the innards.  I vacuum, sweep, inspect, then put burning lump back in and the protein on.

Doesn't everybody?
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I do a full clean every 3hrs of use.  Even if it is in the middle of a cook.  I remove the protein, get my leather gloves and pull all the innards.  I vacuum, sweep, inspect, then put burning lump back in and the protein on.

Doesn't everybody?
    sure, why not, seems reasonable
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have one.  I scoop out the bulk of the ash and vacu-suck the rest. Very satisfying.  Also I can vacuum up anything in the general vicinity.  Cooking is not a tidy business. 
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - the above is great humor for a Sunday AM. I'm surprised you go with the hour interval-figured it would at least be dialed in to minutes and lump burn rate in terms of pieces/minute :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I pull guts and vacuum when I'm doing an overnight that will be served to guests or an event.  I only have one shop vac, one of the big wheeled ones and it's a pita to get down the stairs to my egg.  My egg is an XL, so I don't usually get airflow problems.

maybe one of you engineers can put together a tiny roomba for the egg?
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I use a cheap small shop vac from Sears with the fine ash filter to clean out every few cooks. Lift out KAB, shake it, vacuum, and replace KAB. Super easy and fast.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    I used to, now about every third or forth cook I just rake out the ashes into an old plastic grocery bag...faster than the vac and less hassle. 
    I do the same, and I sometimes spread the ash into a used drip pan. Not sure it helps, but less chance of spillage as I'm moving pans.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When I first started, I was vacuuming, pulling guts out etc all the time. Now, I use the ash tool to make sure I have air flow. After about 20# of lump burn, I'll take out into an old dust pan and throw it out under some trees where no grass will grow. 

Im just too lazy and it doesn't matter. For an overnight cook, I'll make sure holes aren't plugged. 

+1. I tried the vacuum thing and it was a pain in the arse. I've only disassembled my LBGE once, and that was to replace a cracked base. Cooks fine, at a range of temps, and food tastes great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Im lazy I don't clean it until all i see is ash when i look through the door. Even then i will push it backwards or burrow a hole in it to get another couple of cooks. Then Ill vacuum it out. The way i see it. If it still cooks as normal why bother. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The shop vac next to the Egg is not aesthetically pleasing IMHO - especially given your very nice yard. 

To each his own, right?

Give me an ash tool and an empty lump or chip bag and I'm good. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have two shop vacs. One is completely dedicated for the eggs. I will disassemble both BGEs every 2 weeks for a complete clean. During the interim, I use the ash tool an my ash bucket. All is emptied into my compost pile, turned and adding 1 cup of 10-10-10. The compost becomes incredible, providing great soil mixtures for the next year's crop.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have two shop vacs. One is completely dedicated for the eggs. I will disassemble both BGEs every 2 weeks for a complete clean. During the interim, I use the ash tool an my ash bucket. All is emptied into my compost pile, turned and adding 1 cup of 10-10-10. The compost becomes incredible, providing great soil mixtures for the next year's crop.

If you use a vacuum you don't have to take it apart. Just pick up a plastic hose adapter and a short piece of hose. You can snake that around to clean out the outside of the firebox.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @Skiddymarker +1. Rake out the majority of the ash every 6 or 8 cooks. Light and go. I'm not worried about a clogged fire great thanks to my High Que grates. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Legume said:
    maybe one of you engineers can put together a tiny roomba for the egg?
    Would go well with this thing.  :lol: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SqUhuupg-0

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.