Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordering Ribs Online

Options
I was wondering if anyone orders their meat (ribs specifically) online. I'm interested in getting some slabs of berkshire St.louis cut ribs. Kinda hesitant to do so not knowing what to expect. I live in the Chicago area and have never seen any retailers advertising berkshire. 

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Check out Snake River Farms
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • S.Newcomb76
    Options
    billyray said:
    Check out Snake River Farms
    Looks amazing. But right now I'm looking for some St. Louis ribs 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just cut off the end of the spares you order. It's not that had to do.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Just cut off the end of the spares you order. It's not that had to do.
    I think it's the St. Louis style they want not baby backs.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • S.Newcomb76
    S.Newcomb76 Posts: 38
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wrote this wrong. I know how to trim spares to St Louis cut. I'm looking to see if ordering online is reliable and what other people's experience has been. I'm interested in the Berkshire pork I've been reading about. Like http://www.lobels.com
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Standard Market in the Chicago area carrys Compac Duroc ribs and pork butts.
  • S.Newcomb76
    Options
    dstearn said:
    There's one right near me
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    It's hard to believe that there is no local butcher in Chicago carrying Berkshire pork considering the cities great history of meats. We have about five meat shops locally carrying this sweet porky delight.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    http://betterpork.com/

Nick, and Tina, have been great to work/hang with at Berkwood Farms in the Des Moines area.  Even had the privilege to meet many of the families who produce their beautiful product, working Berkwood's( main sponsor) booth at the Baconfest last year.  They are also proud sponsors of the Bacoonride in Des Moines.  That is actually where we met two years ago....a blessing in disguise for sure. 

Great Iowa people, that put out one hell of a hog.  Have ordered belly, chops, and jowl.  Getting a whole loin, cutting our own IA chops, and belly for fall cold smoke bacon inventory replenishng in two weeks!  Even their lard, is unsurpassed. Planning on a ham and osso bucco when I meet up with them at the booth in Feb for Baconfest.  

You will not find nicer people or better pork.  Give them a try.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    You may want to contact the Butcher and the Larder in Local Foods, I've run across various, artisanal pork at the shop. 
    Chicago, Illinois
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dstearn said:
    There's one right near me
    Then you are all set.