Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork alternative method?

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
we are in the mood for pulled pork but since it's only 2 of us to eat it we don't want to cook a large pork butt and waste it.  

I dont kniw kniw if this will work or turn into dried offerings?  Maybe a 1-2 lb cut of pork cooked the same way?  Maybe in 1-2 inch slices?  
M
Freezer es is full of other stuff so making a larger one a freezing won't work this time.

looking for pulled beef and chicken methods for the same amount of food.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Smallest I ever cooked was 2.5 lbs. Came out great, though it took just as long as the 5 pounder sitting right next to it. Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If you can find country style ribs cut from the shoulder that will fit the bill perfectly.  Make sure they're from the shoulder, I know some stores also have the from the loin side and those cook more like a roast.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Just put them on low and slow (250) for 5+ hours (until ~200 degrees). Or hot (350) ?

Garnerville, NY
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way, and in fact, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I wound up throwing away <gasp> a handful or two of my last pulled pork because my wife and I at a ton of it but then forgot about it in the back of the fridge until it was old enough that I wasn't sure it was still good to eat.

But in addition to the great suggestion of country style ribs, what I'm planning to do next time is what I've seen others here say they do, which is to cook a full pork but, but when it's done, portion it out and freeze any that seems like too much to eat in a reasonable time.  They claim it tastes every bit as good reheated.  Sounds win-win to me!  :)
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Just did a 2.5 pound shoulder roast for pulled pork last Monday. Took about 3 hours last 45 minutes bumped the temp from 250 °F to 325 °F. Pulled like a dream.

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    agree with @Acn, should work well and you'll have higher bark ratio which would be good news to me.

otherwise, I would just cook the smallest butt you can find and either have friends over or make up packs of pulled pork and give to neighbors and friends