Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket plans, asking for comments and suggestions

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited August 2015 in Beef
This will be a 14-17 lb SRF Kobe gold brisket, on a Large BGE using a DigiQ for temp management. This is the largest brisket I've done, all I can get locally are 9lb flats; in fact, this will be the largest cut of meat I've ever done.

My plans are:

I'm going to split the point and flat, trim the fat and salt it Saturday night. Sunday morning around 5AM I am going to inject it with beef broth and rub it with a typical brisket rub (mostly black pepper, some garlic and chili and onion powder). Then I'm going to do it tiered at about 250*, using hickory chunks for smoke. I will use the DigiQ on the lower rack and a Maverick on the upper rack, and probably just average the two. If the lower rack was 250* and the upper was 225* I would just leave it. I'm going to wrap at about 175* (or whenever bark forms) with either butcher paper or foil, depending on what I have. When each muscle hits 205* I'll remove and wrap in a towel and rest it in a cooler for a couple hours.

My reasoning for splitting the muscles: First, they'll get done more evenly. Second, more tasty bark. Third, it's a matter of time. I'm not going to put a whole brisket on at midnight and monitor it. It's just not happening. Even getting up early is asking a lot.

Generally speaking, I figure the only way to screw this stuff up is to dry it out. It's on a BGE, it's not drying out.

Gray areas:

I guess most people don't split a full brisket. Why not? The freakin' things are huge.

I was going to put the flat on the lower rack and the point on the upper rack, but everyone says the point takes longer, and now I'm thinking of putting the point on the lower rack.

Injecting a Kobe Gold brisket might not be necessary. But I've had excellent results injecting previous briskets and pork shoulders/butts. Is there a collective wisdom on this?

Previous briskets have gone almost exactly 1 hour per pound. I've read that the Kobe briskets are faster. That would be nice, I'm more concerned about serving dinner @ 9PM than I am about letting things rest wrapped in a 175* oven for an extra hour. Does anyone have good experience with this?

I've only done brisket @ 225*. I'm sure that would be fine, but again, time is raising it's hand here. 250* seems to be acceptable. Am I safe assuming that anywhere in that range will be fine?

Thanks!

Comments

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    This is just my opinion; I'm sure that others will chime in.  I've done 2 SRF briskets and I'm here to tell you that they do act differently than other briskets. 

First, I'm not a fan of splitting the flat and point. I'm sure that you paid over $100 for this brisket, why not let the flat and point take the journey together? Everyone is different, but for the price paid for a SRF, I'd rather have them together than separate. The time you take to monitor it is well worth the final outcome.

Second, if it were me, I wouldn't inject. You have perhaps the best brisket cut known to man. Let the meat's own flavor shine through. While I will season lesser cuts of brisket with rubs, for a SRF, I season that bad boy with equal parts salt & pepper (by weight) after slathering it with a thin coating of mustard.

I do all of my I briskets in the 250*-275* range. SRF briskets do cook faster. I would start probing the meat at 180*. Don't cook a SRF to a specific temp. You might get a good result at 205* but don't count on it. My first SRF was done with an IT of 185*.

I've never foiled/butcher papered a SRF brisket simply because I've never had to power it through a stall. I'm not saying "don't" do it, but keep your options open.

Finally, if you hit your mark of getting it on a 5am....assuming a 16 lb brisket that's kept whole....I would expect it to be ready to be taken off for FTC around the 7pm area, so you'll be ok for 9pm serving. If you do wrap, then expect it to finish earlier but the longer FTC will not hurt anything. If you split the flat and point, then expect them each to be done MUCH earlier than that.

Don't forget to post pictures and have fun!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I'm with @Stoogie regarding cooking as one packer.  With the size and LBGE you can drape over a brick and compact the flat (until shrinkage takes over) to ensure all is over your heat deflector.  If that's not possible foil protect anything exposed to direct heat.
    My experience with SRF black (only dream about gold) is as the same as Stoogie.  I run around 260-270*F on the calibrated dome and have been seeing around 0.7 hrs/lb average cook time.  I plan for a 1 hr/lb so end up going the FTC route. 
    I have never injected a brisket.  As mentioned, you have a very high-end cut of brisket, let the meat shine w/o any injection and then judge for yourself against your prior cooks.
    Cook to feel and not temp.  When the thickest part of the flat probes like buttah you are there.  And start checking earlier than you are used to (see above post by Stoogie).
    Don't over-think this, relax and enjoy the cook and follow-on eats. 
    The above said, it's your cook and your brisket so weigh whatever inputs you desire and cook the way you want.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mosca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Stoogie, thanks for the input! What is your reasoning for keeping the muscles together?

I was unclear in my writing. I don't want to dine at 9! I want to dine around 6. My goal is to get out of bed at 5AM, and have the brisket over fire by 6AM. That is my rationale for separating point from flat, injecting, and wrapping during cook. I have an aversion to higher temps because of tradition saying briskets should be cooked at 225*.

The rub is mostly black pepper, I'm salting the night before. Even when I do rib roasts, the rub is salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic. Man, that habit is hard to break. Maybe do the flat one way and the point the other?

How did you know your brisket was done at 185*?

And, pictures absolutely!

• lousubcap
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "Cook to feel and not temp.  When the thickest part of the flat probes like buttah you are there.  And start checking earlier than you are used to (see above post by Stoogie)."
    The above is the key for the finish-line indicator on all packer or stand-alone flats.  A standalone point is a bit trickier becasue of the increased fat content.  Never having cooked a solo point-I would let it run til I got the same feel.  If you choose to cook as a single hunk of beef, pay no attention to the point during the cook.  The higher fat content protects it just fine til the flat declares victory. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Brisket is done when it probes like "buttah".  With SRFs most have reported that taking place in the 180's.

The reason for not separating the point and the flat is that not many (maybe nobody) can consistently cook a good flat.  Having most of the flat attached to the point seems to keep it more moist.

Given your time constraints, it seems that you have a choice of cooking in the 275-290 range vs separating the flat from the point - I'd go with the higher temp cook every time.  And at about 2 PM you can assess for whether or not you want to foil it. 

I've become a fan of butcher paper, but I'm not sure if that speeds up the cook or not.  I think on my last brisket I wrapped it in too much paper and it slowed it down quite a bit.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Stoogie, thanks for the input! What is your reasoning for keeping the muscles together?

I was unclear in my writing. I don't want to dine at 9! I want to dine around 6. My goal is to get out of bed at 5AM, and have the brisket over fire by 6AM. That is my rationale for separating point from flat, injecting, and wrapping during cook. I have an aversion to higher temps because of tradition saying briskets should be cooked at 225*.

The rub is mostly black pepper, I'm salting the night before. Even when I do rib roasts, the rub is salt, pepper, and finely chopped garlic. Man, that habit is hard to break. Maybe do the flat one way and the point the other?

Getting the egg up and stable in an hour can be done, but I prefer more time to make sure it is where I want it to be when I put that big chunk of meat on.  Remember the temp is going to drop when you put that on for about the first 30 minutes so don't change you vents.  I have had now trouble doing over night cooks on brisket.  I light the egg around 10:30 and hope to have the meat on by midnight,  I stay up for about another 30 minutes to an hour and if it is stable I go to bed and get up around 7 or so.  I usually put it on at 225 and in the morning the egg is around 250-270 and I let it ride.  At that time sometimes it is already at around 140 to 150 and in the stall.  I have never done a SRF brisket so I can't speak to it cooking faster, but it has more fat so I would think it would cook a little faster.  If it is done early, FTC in butcher paper to preserve the bark if you like, if not foil it and hold tell dinner time.  I did a 18 pound one like this and it was done 5 hours early so I FTC'd it and it was still to hot to touch when I went to slice it.  

On leaving the two together; I feel they cook better together and the point can kind of protect the flat from the heat coming up from the back.  I always put the point to the back on my XL where the hot spot is.  Now if you want more bark split them apart.  I can't talk SWMBO into that expensive of a brisket and I want more practice on the cheaper stuff at RD for now.  She doesn't even like their cost.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mosca
    Options
    Hehe... such purchases arrive at Chez Mosca as fait accompli.

I don't have any problems with temperature control over time on my BGE, the DigiQ just sticks it where I want it to be. Best accessory I've ever used, along with the Woo ring.
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Mosca said:

@Foghorn & @Ladeback69 both outline the same reasons why I wouldn't separate the flat from the point.  Plus, if you separate them, now you're dealing with 2 chunks of (expensive) meat.  Now you have twice the variables, 2 chunks of meat that will finish at different times and twice the stress and worry.  The flat will definitely benefit from being attached to the point.

I knew my fist SRF was done at 185* because I was probing it at 180* and it was mostly probing w/o resistance.  By the time it hit 185*, the whole thing probed "like buttah" and it had the jiggly consistency of jello. Remember to put your temp probes in the thickest part of the flat.

If you're looking to start serving at 6pm, this is what I'd do.... I'd make sure that bad boy was on my BGE at 2am and count on a 12-13 hr cook.  If it finishes early - great!  FTC really well and sit back with your beverage of choice because your work is 96.3% done!  If the IT is in the 160* between 2-3pm, then you have the butcher paper ready to assist it to the finish line.

Also, all the advice that @lousubcap posted is what I'd go with.  He gave me advice the first time I attempted a SRF and has never steered me wrong.

Finally... I lied.  I've actually done 3 SRF briskets; 2 "black" and 1 "gold".  The Gold version is what I did this past 4th of July and the Gold brisket finished even faster than the Black.  So early that it was FTC'd for over 7 hours and it was still great.... However, the caveat on that is that I had definitely over served myself and might have had my dome temp higher than what I'd like. 
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Hehe... such purchases arrive at Chez Mosca as fait accompli.

I don't have any problems with temperature control over time on my BGE, the DigiQ just sticks it where I want it to be. Best accessory I've ever used, along with the Woo ring.
    Then I would start earlier like @Stoogie said.  Just sleep in in the morning.  Have fun and we all look forward to the photos or it didn't happen.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    While we are at it...fat cap down :)
  • Mosca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Man, so much information to digest. Half of what I've collected is brisket information. What I've collected here is BGE brisket information.

So far I've been talked out of injecting it, which is okay because that is always a PITA.

2AM, I suppose I could do that. Maybe. Just toss that sucker on, huh? Light that fire and go to sleep! ("Skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens!") Put some chunks of hickory on top and forget about it until 9AM. I think I might monitor it with the Maverick in the bedroom, though. Thing is, people I've talked to who have separated the two muscles say there's no problem, including the people at SRF. No one has written back saying, "I separated the point and everything came out awful." People either say they've left them together and had success, or separated them and had success. So I'm still kinda up in the air on that.

Same with temperature. Some people say they've had great success @225*, some say 250*, some here say up to 290*. It sounds like photography: f16 @ 1/100, f8 @ 1/200, etc. I suppose there's no real answer, but I sort of think the first SRF Kobe should be @ 250* or lower. If it dawdles I can always raise it.

I'm not too new of an Egger, btw. I almost bought one in '08, then finally pulled the trigger in '11. So I'm through 5 seasons. My favorites are the same as any Red Blooded American: burgers, hot dogs, chicken, steaks, ribs, pork shoulders. And I've added chuckies. The reason I've stayed away from briskets until this summer is because I work so many hours that there's never time; I rarely get two days off in a row, and I often work 12 hour days. This year I swore I'd figure out briskets, and I intend to make pastrami before the calendar turns to 2016.

• lousubcap
    Options
    Glad you are comfortable with the BGE-this cook will be very straight-forward. And if you have already seen what follows then sorry for the duplication but better to get this twice than not at all (forgot this key link on my first post here):  Here's a link to the Aaron Franklin brisket video series-definitely worth a look for the trim and then the slice process:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU 
  • Mosca
    Options
    Man, this son of a gun is frozen SOLID. Brisket might be Tuesday instead of Sunday. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Greatest brisket thread ever! Kudos to all!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Mosca-I mentioned on the SRF thread that if the brisket you were referring to here was being delivered on Friday then you would need the cold water bath thaw to get it ready for the above cook process.   Yes SRF does deliver them in a solid state.  
  • Mosca
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap! I put it in the water bath before leaving for work this morning. Mrs Mosca will keep an eye on it during the day. Note to self, next time pick Wednesday for delivery.

It is confidence inspiring though, that it comes like that. In the past I've received meats that were "cool to the touch" rather than frozen or partially frozen. (Omaha Steaks, on a gift card.)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You are right about the confidence-and I would change the water several times during the thaw process.  You need to get it to the point you can do a good trim and you will be fine.  If the interior is still not fully thawed it will only add time to the cook (and likely not that much).  FWIW-
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I leave cold water thaws in the sink with the faucet on very very low. This effectively keeps the water change process going continually.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Mosca
    Options
    Mrs just texted me, 3PM it was thawed and in the refrigerator!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Mosca- Get ready for some incredible eats-of course you have a game in front of you.  All above will get you home-and just post when you have questions.  BTW-if you ride thru the stall don't be surprised if the temp drops a few degrees.  Cow is in charge.  FWIW-
  • Mosca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    11:30AM, Food hit the BGE @ 7:30 this morning. Upper and lower pit temps are holding steady @ 230*. Point is stalled @159*, flat is stalled @151*.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Forget the point-it will only cause confusion.  You've got this.
  • Mosca
    Options
    170*/156*. I just bumped the pit temp to 250*. 

If you think about it, they're different muscles. Just like a ribeye and a sirloin are different. If you split them, you can maximize each. There's no reason I can't remove one and cambro it, then the other when it hits peak. 

Life is good!

• Mosca
    Options
    I pulled the point @190*, the Thermapen went in and out like butter. The flat is at 187* and still resists. 
  • Mosca
    Options
    The flat took another hour, and wasn't "jelly" until 200*.