Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Project HeaterMeter is complete

Options
Rebelst8
Rebelst8 Posts: 36
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Been a while since I posted but I'm really excited about a project i just completed. It was my first major tinkering project and it was my first soldering project. Anyway, it's an open source project called HeaterMeter and here are my results.

https://goo.gl/photos/zD2QbHqWsHaqvFTR7

Pictures with and without a case. It was a ton of fun, and I hoping to try it out before Hurricane Erika hits. Anyway, I'll try to update after my first cook. 

btw, my out of pocket costs were around $130. 

It has wifi, a web interface, email/text notifications, open lid detection, 3 meat probes and a thermocouple pit meter. 
Victor
LBGE
America's Best Coast - The Space Coast

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Very cool project. How about some specs, chipset, etc? I am currently working on something similar using Arduino with Atmega 2560 chip. Not very far along. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    Mike,
    Not sure what specs you are looking for, but it ties in an older Raspberry Pi B (not Pi2 or B+). This link has all the parts needed. I ordered the board and parts from the second link. I actually had the Raspberry pi laying around which saved me about 25 bucks (the site will sell you a kit with it for 25 extra). The case was made at work by a buddy, with some scrap material we had, which saved me another 25. 

Parts List:
    https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.2-Hardware 

Bought from here:
    http://heatermeter.myshopify.com/
    Victor
    LBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Very cool project. How about some specs, chipset, etc? I am currently working on something similar using Arduino with Atmega 2560 chip. Not very far along. 
    Here's info about the Heatermeter project: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

I bought the kit a few months ago but just haven't gotten around to soldering it all up. Hoping to make time for that in September.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options

Rebelst8 said:
    Been a while since I posted but I'm really excited about a project i just completed. It was my first major tinkering project and it was my first soldering project. Anyway, it's an open source project called HeaterMeter and here are my results.

https://goo.gl/photos/zD2QbHqWsHaqvFTR7

Pictures with and without a case. It was a ton of fun, and I hoping to try it out before Hurricane Erika hits. Anyway, I'll try to update after my first cook. 

btw, my out of pocket costs were around $130. 

It has wifi, a web interface, email/text notifications, open lid detection, 3 meat probes and a thermocouple pit meter. 
    Tell me about your case. Did you print that yourself? Looks very smooth.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Rebelst8
    Options
    Case was made from high density acrylic. It was cnc'd not printed. Used some scrap pieces at work and buddy did the cnc for me.
    Victor
    LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @CTMike heatermeter uses a 328. Any specific reason you're using a 2560?

i cobbled together some cloud thermometers using ESP8266 but wasn't happy with them. I've got a Particle Photon on the way. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Rebelst8 nice work! Can't wait to see it in action and get your opinion on how it works!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    I'm hoping to do a simple cook tomorrow. I might provide a link so people can see it in action. You can actually watch the pit temp, fan speed, and meat probes live. 
    Victor
    LBGE
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Rebelst8 said:
    Case was made from high density acrylic. It was cnc'd not printed. Used some scrap pieces at work and buddy did the cnc for me.
    Ahhh...I see we "simul-posted" and I missed your later post. 

I hadn't thought about CNCing the case and was just going to eventually 3D print one.

I bought a small Pelican case (a clear 1060) I was just going to put mine in so it would be safe if caught in the rain.

Hope your first cook goes well!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Epic
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Too much technology for me. But it sounds cool. WiFi and texts seem would be great. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    yogi84 said:
    Heatermeter is great had one for a few years... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156059/my-bbq-controller#latest
    What did you end up doing for a fan mount? I've got a temporary, and probably looking at the RotoDamper when I get my 3D printer built (next project). :-)
    Victor
    LBGE
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    @Rebelst8 i have a rotodamper thats connected to a metal plate that i siliconed copper threaded pipe to.. BTW the rotodamper is the only way to use the HM with an egg in my opinion.. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's really cool!  I have been playing with the raspberry pi for a few weeks now.  Next step is to start playing with the esp8266.  In a few years, I should have a working prototype :)

Options
    All sounds awesome but there is toooooo much smart talk here for me. I would love to try and build one though. I guess I'm going to have to find a smart fireman to build one for me.