Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Finish Question

Options
Hello all,

I recently finished building a table for my BGE. It is made of cedar and will have a granite counter-top. I'm now at the stage to finish the wood and am looking for advice. I have searched through this forum a lot of times and found many different discussions about the finish, but there are a lot of opinions. Some discussions are many years old, as well, so I was hoping for some updated responses. Below is what I am looking for:

General description: The stand will be covered when not in use (to limit the sun exposure). I would like a more satin / matte finish as I wouldn't prefer a glossy finish. It will have a black pearl granite piece as it's counter-top. 

I would like to the wood be stained darker, than it's natural look. I don't want to leave the wood unfinished as I'm not a huge fan of that look. That being said, what stain should I use to stain it (type, not color)?

This leads to the question of finish. What kind of finish should I use over the stain? I've read that helmsman spar urethane is sometimes used. I've also read people warning against it. 

I've also seen Sikkens wood stain suggested. Would that be the way to go? 

I'm just a bit confused on which direction to go, and once I start going down a path, there is not an easy way back. Hence why I am asking for advice before I start.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I'll be applying my first coat of Sikkens Cetol 1 this evening. I'll report back. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I chose Sikkens partially because I read it was good stuff but also partially because they have a bunch of different colors of stain.  So you can make your wood darker as you're trying to do here.  I'd try to take a scrap piece of wood to your local Sikkens dealer and see if they can paint 4 or 5 different colors on there so you can see what each of them would look like against your particular wood.  My dealer was happy to do that for me.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • rjustice21
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I chose Sikkens partially because I read it was good stuff but also partially because they have a bunch of different colors of stain.  So you can make your wood darker as you're trying to do here.  I'd try to take a scrap piece of wood to your local Sikkens dealer and see if they can paint 4 or 5 different colors on there so you can see what each of them would look like against your particular wood.  My dealer was happy to do that for me.
    And how has it held up? If I may ask.
  • rjustice21
    Options

chrisc133 said:
    I'll be applying my first coat of Sikkens Cetol 1 this evening. I'll report back. 
    Thanks
  • Sicilian
    Sicilian Posts: 23
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just reposted my table and the type of stain I used with pics.  See new post in this section. 
  • firebike
    firebike Posts: 39
    Options
    Cetol is a very good top coat. I have never used it the way you are, but back in the day I used quite a bit on yachts I had been doing some work on. It seems to be what they say it is, however I have never seen those yachts again years later to say with certainty the way it has held up. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used Sikkens years ago on my deck in Lawrenceville GA. I have moved since then, and the present owners, have replaced damaged pieces from storms, and used something else to repair those pieces. Those pieces had to be be redone, the Sikkens is still going strong. 10 years now.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shadowrider
    Options
    General Finishes 450 exterior stain and either their matching 450 exterior topcoat or Outdoor Oil.  I'm going with the latter.

Sikkens is great stuff too but pricey as is Epiphanes.  Most of the better exterior spar varnish coatings are very high gloss (I think due to the high solids content).  I also prefer the matte look as it's more natural looking to me, that's why I'm using GF Outdoor Oil.  Bear in mind that if you stain you need UV blockers in it also.
  • carson1
    carson1 Posts: 9
    Options
    A trick I learned years ago is to use untinted exterior paint.  You have to buy "deep tint base" or sometimes it is labeled tint base No. 4.  This will dry clear if left untinted, but still has the benefits of exterior paint (UV inhibitors) and will last longer than other exterior varnishes.  I have used it on wood/stained front doors that get a lot of sun exposure with very good results.   

Before you actually finish your table, you may want to buy some and test it on some scrap first, to verify it gives you the result you want.
  • EggHeadDad
    EggHeadDad Posts: 66
    edited August 2015
    Options

I went with a combination of Watco Teak Finish (three coats) and then System Three Marine Spar Varnish (four coats) on the African Sapaele wood for my table .  If you check out some of my pictures of my first cook I had a storm blow through in the middle that gave it a good test.  The water just beaded up on the surface.  Like you, I cover mine most of the time.  Mine has also only been in service for a couple months so other probably have a much better appreciation for durability of their surfaces.  Good luck and enjoy your new table.  I'm lovin' mine. 

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    jimithing said:
    And how has it held up? If I may ask.
    So far so good.  I think I put the finish on about 6 months ago and it's been sitting outside uncovered and it looks the same as when I first stained it.  Haven't noticed any place where it's fading yet.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options

chrisc133 said:
    Thanks
    I finished my table this weekend with the Sikkens. It's expensive but highly recommended. It looks great in person. Took about a half gallon to get this done with two coats. 

Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    chrisc133 said:

chrisc133 said:
    Thanks
    I finished my table this weekend with the Sikkens. It's expensive but highly recommended. It looks great in person. Took about a half gallon to get this done with two coats. 

Looks beautiful!   Great job.  Enjoy!