Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Windows 10 Upgrade - OT

Options
I loaded Windows 10 this afternoon and got the big blue box of death on the screen. It said startup and Cortana had stopped working and that killed everything except being able to sign out. The box said it would try to fix the next time I signed in. I tried signing in multiple times. Shut computer down - still no good. Finally in desperation I clicked on restart instead of sign in or shut down. The little animated dots went round and round for a long time and finally asked for my password. When I got signed back in, all was well and a box popped up and said updates installed. So if this happens to you, do a restart not a sign in like it tells you and hopefully you will be okay. I am going to leave it on overnight and see if it uploads more updates. 
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Installed earlier this week and already had system die while on-line. I could not get task manager started, could not cancel Firefox nor shut down computer. The switch on the surge protector did shut it down.
    Power up, reload and system came up. So far system is still running, but it is only a few days into 10.
    On another forum, people reported no problems since upgrade.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I installed it the day it was released, I uninstalled it 2 days later. I like windows 7 better. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• DutchMiniMax
    Options
    till now it works great for me, running couple of weeks with it now
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Most new installs require a restart, if I'm not mistaken. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Buy a Mac
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've been running it since a few days after release.  I like it.
    NOLA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've been a computer nerd most of my life, used DOS, OS/2 (!), and Windows up through Windows 7, but I found Windows frustrating year after year, and the siren song of "Macs just work" finally got to me, and I switched to the Mac a number of years ago, and Oh, my gosh, why in the WORLD didn't I do that YEARS before???  I won't say Macs don't ever have problems -- they do.  But I am SO much happier with Macs than I ever was with any version of Windows.

Best of luck to all of you running Windows.  I'm not "religious" about it -- Windows isn't the worst thing in the world.  If you're happy, keep being happy! For me, though, I'm not shocked to hear about problems with Windows 10, and I'll be sticking with my Mac, thanks.
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    im running it on my laptop and cant really tell much difference from 8.1.  i am using the start bar replacement by stardock. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I use my Macs 95% of the time but I do have a Windows desktop and a laptop. I haven't bothered upgrading my Win7 laptop and probably won't bother until I'm forced to.

I did upgrade my desktop pc a week or two ago but it would not upgrade thru the normal update process. I had to download the Win 10 iso and do it manually. A couple minor bumps along the way but it did install and seems fine. Haven't noticed any problems with 10 but I wasn't unhappy with 7 either. I do miss some widgets I used in 7 but haven't bothered trying to get those back in 10 (via Rainmaker) yet.

If it hadn't been a free upgrade I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Options
    Win 10 installed and I love it.  No problems...Aloha
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Installed on 3 machines.  Working great!  Love it.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I allowed it to install on my HP Envoy laptop that was running Win 8.1 a few weeks ago.  The only notable issue I have had was with the touch pad.  I don't like the tap feature so I always disable this.  After the upgrade to Win 10 the saved settings would no longer survive a restart.  I had to re-install the touch pad software before it would save the settings, properly.  Other than this I haven't had any real issues.  I do like it better than 8.1.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Installed on 3 machines for the last month...no issues
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy a Mac
    ^^^^^this
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I like it so far.  Couple of older pieces of software needed a reinstall, but other than that all is well.  I kind of like it actually, especially all the functions back on the "start" button, sort of a Windows 7 and 8 hybrid.  
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Buy a Mac
    I'll one up you - install Ubuntu and save your moneyz. ;)
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    Buy a Mac

I am tired of Microsoft products, I have been the last hold out in the family with my android phone and windows all-in-one desktop.  New I-mac will be here this Wednesday. 

The wife's, macbook just seems to work, it doesn't have constant security updates and incompatibility issues, etc.  I am three weeks into Windows 10 and am still trying to get certain programs to work like Word that opens and immediately says "Microsoft Word has stopped working" and then the window immediately closes.  I don't even have a chance to go into to options and disable add-ons which I suspect is the culpret.  I am just over it!!!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Check on 10, it is microsoft spyware!

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Buy a Mac
    I'll one up you - install Ubuntu and save your moneyz. ;)
    I tried Ubuntu, mostly because a friend of mine wrote a book about it, and it was cool -- I liked it.  But like many people, there are too many programs I depend on that won't run on Linux.  I use the Adobe Creative Suite programs and love them, I use a music notation program Sibelius, and I have the Bible and tons of other resources in Logos, and none of them run on Linux.  It was cool, and free certainly is a great price!  :)