Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Pig Skin Advice

If you want to get the skin of your pig crispy, which is better, starting high then lowering the temp to roast, or roasting like a reverse sear, couple hours low then high to finish? Anyone have experience?

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    I have never been able to achieve crispy pig skin on the egg that was worth talking about.  I am staying tuned into this one to see what others have to say.  I purchased a La Caja China instead of using the egg, it comes out perfect every time.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew said:
    I have never been able to achieve crispy pig skin on the egg that was worth talking about.  I am staying tuned into this one to see what others have to say.  I purchased a La Caja China instead of using the egg, it comes out perfect every time.  
    Yeah, the Caja worked great last time was just hoping some one out there had a positive skin experience that I could replicate.
  •  Bueller?...Bueller?...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No idea on how in an egg, but this was in a Meadow Creek PR-60 and the skin was crispy like potato chips.

pig.jpg 287.9K
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    No idea on how in an egg, but this was in a Meadow Creek PR-60 and the skin was crispy like potato chips.

One temp, high then low, low than high??
  • DMW
    DMW said:

One temp, high then low, low than high??
    Around 250* for the entire cook.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Really???! And the skin crisped up?! I really thought you had to score and hit high temps for actual crispy. Thanks @DMW
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If you want to get the skin of your pig crispy, 
    I will offer a few tid bits that have worked for me. One of the most important things you can do to help aid in crispy skin is to start with very dry skin. Rub the skin down very well with paper towels. When you have got it as dry as you possibly can, aim a fan, preferably two or three of them at your hog. Let your hog dry under the forced air for at least a hour. Preferably two hours. This drying step will go a long way with helping to crisp up the skin when cooked. Next, use direct heat if practical. This may not be possible depending on what you are cooking on. As much as I love my big reverse flow units, my old raggedy looking,directed fired hog cooker will turn out much better looking and crispier skin than the reverse flow offsets. As far as meat quality there is no difference, but when it comes to skin the old direct fired unit leaves the other offsets in the dust. The direct radiant heat works wonders on the skin. 250 degrees is a near ideal all around cooking temp for cooking hogs. With that said, I have ran smaller hogs (100 lbs and smaller) as high as 275 degrees with good luck. On the true heavyweight hogs, if time is not a issue I prefer to run them 225-235 degrees. On the real big ones the lower cooking temp gives you much more time to make adjustments should the loin start to get done to fast. I know you were asking about skin only, but I thought that I would throw that in there just the same. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks @SGH , those tips will definitely help.

@SGH @DMW @McStew do any of you score the skin when cooking? I know the Caja people recommend it for their cooker, maybe because it is an indirect cooker as well, i
    s that the key to indirect crispy skin ? 
  • DMW
    I do not score the skin.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    have read before that rubbing the skin down with baking soda helps for crackly skin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nate I would imagine a quick high heat. However, during rendering my guess is that it would lose some of that. Are we talking a whole pig/hog or what?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nate I would imagine a quick high heat. However, during rendering my guess is that it would lose some of that. Are we talking a whole pig/hog or what?
    Was talking whole
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm out. Sorry. :unamused: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

This recipe for porchetta has detailed instructions to achieve crispy skin that includes drying, paper towels, scoring, poking, and hitting with a mallet.  While not whole hog it seems the results from those who try it are good.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/porchetta

HOW TO ASSEMBLE

• 1. Set belly skin side down. Using a knife, score the belly flesh in a checkerboard pattern 1/3" deep so roast will cook evenly.
    • 2. Flip belly skin side up. Using a paring knife, poke dozens of 1/8"-deep holes through skin all over belly. Don't be gentle! Keep poking.
    • 3. Using the jagged edge of a meat mallet, pound skin all over for 3 minutes to tenderize, which will help make skin crispy when roasted.
    • 4. Turn belly and generously salt both it and loin; rub both with fennel mixture. Arrange loin down middle of belly. Top with orange slices.
    • 5. Roll belly around loin; tie crosswise with kitchen twine at 1/2" intervals. Trim twine. Transfer roast to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet.
    • Refrigerate roast, uncovered, for 1-2 days to allow skin to air-dry; pat occasionally with paper towels.
    • Let porchetta sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 500°. Season porchetta with salt. Roast on rack in baking sheet, turning once, for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to 300° and continue roasting, rotating the pan and turning porchetta occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 145°, 1 1/2-2 hours more. If skin is not yet deep brown and crisp, increase heat to 500° and roast for 10 minutes more. Let rest for 30 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice into 1/2" rounds.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Thanks @SGH , do any of you score the skin when cooking? 
    I have never scored the skin on a whole hog. In my humble opinion, the skin helps to preserve moisture. Most folks that I have seen score the skin basted heavily to compensate for moisture loss. My theory is why even bother with it. A whole hog with perfectly crisp, intact, mahogany skin is the epitome of the Q world. It speaks volumes as to the pitmasters skills. Why in the world would you want to split it. But to each their own my friend. I will say this, if I were forced to cook a whole hog on a rig that had a tremendous amount of reflective heat and no other options available, under these conditions I would score the skin for obvious reasons. Short of this, I wouldn't score. I have been cooking whole hogs for 35 years, give or take a little, and I have yet to score one. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• If you don't score the skin, you can prick it all over. I've never cooked a whole hog but with pork belly, this is a foolproof technique. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • I have found that blanching the skin helps immensely. With this one, I ladled boils hot water over the skin and a thick yellow film came off. Dried it completely, rubbed it will evoo and seasoned the skin with a heavy coating of kosher salt. It smoked at 225° until the hams were at 180. Then cranked the cooker up to 500° to crisp up the skin. This skin was shatter crispy.