Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey legs

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MAN! After Sat. I didn't think I'd ever be HONGRY again,but I am.Been printin' out all them good "recippies" that everyones putting out,thanks.By the way,Marc&Cheryl have you posted your great barbecue turkey info yet? Hope I haven't missed it.Went to the fair a couple weeks back for the first time in many years,got hungry (again)and got a smoked turkey drumstick,they were frozen and heated up on grills,it had the best taste I've ever had on a turkey leg.Does anyone know anything about them? Be grateful for any ideas. Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Bamabob,
    Go for it! I would try and work a nice rub, or paste, under the skin, and smoke with pecan wood. 300 indirect should do them up nicely. Cook them until the internal temp is 175-180 and you are in for some good eats. Let us know what you end up doing.[p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamabob,[p]The Egg makes wonderful smoked turkey legs. I normally brine (1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 gallon of water) the legs for around an hour or so. I do this a day before just for convenience. You could do it the day of with no problem. I rub them with olive oil and freshly ground pepper but any kind of spice that goes well with turkey would work. [p]Like Nature Boy I cook them indirectly at 275 - 300 degs. The lump alone will impart a smokey taste but pecan wood adds an extra good smokey flavor. [p]Be careful letting your neighbors and friends taste the finished product. For once they taste that savory meat they will demand that you include a couple extra legs for them the next time. I can't do any less than 8 legs now lest the neighbors start a riot =)[p]PP
  • Bamabob,[p]You might want to visit http://www.williebird.com/. They have the best smoked poultry I have ever tasted. Their Turkey legs reheat beautifully and may be what you had.[p]I agree that you can do very nice smoked turkey on a ceramic cooker, but I have never been able to get the deep smoke taste you will find in Willie Birds products.[p]
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Nature Boy,
    The turkey legs that I get at the state fair have a very dark and crispy crust on them. Does the indirect method give that kind of skin, or should I finish them direct? Thanks, Billy