Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PBR Like it or Not

Options
2»

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If you've got enough money to buy an egg, you should have graduated from PBR a long time ago. 
    I wish I could agree with this more than once.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• chadpsualum
    Options
    If you've got enough money to buy an egg, you should have graduated from PBR a long time ago. 
    Unless you buy it because you want to not because you have to.  I don't drink it all of the time but there are times I'll choose PBR over Miller, Bud or Coors (when I'm not in a mood for Craft beers).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    C'mon, on tap for the college kids I hope!
    Our old neighborhood we would go through a keg plus a month cause we had people over a lot so after a couple $150 kegs we started getting the cheaper ones. PBR is like $70 a keg but it works great for beer pong when you are running through pitchers full.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

The egg is cheap. We went through a large eggs worth of beer in the first couple months we got the kegerator. Plus you don't want a heavy beer on tap itstoo much. The wife prefers when I get miller lite though she's not so big on the PBR.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Griffin said:
    tjv said:
    not sure if today's pbr is like the old pbr.  can't tell ya how many PBR saloon signs I pulled under while driving cab in the late '70s......gotta love a wisconsin saloon at a 2am closing time.  

one of our local bars has lone star and pbr $2 drafts, all day - everyday.  Ironically, I pick lone star more often......

t

Lone Star and PBR both got bought up by the same Russian company, although I hear they are re-opening the old Lone Star Brewery back in San Antonio, so maybe somebody bought them back...I'm with you on the Lone Star, although I prefer Light. Just harder to find.
    i need to check out the lone star light.  we have several micro breweries opening up in Denton, one distillery moving up from dallas and a couple beer joints with 100+ beers on tap.   Guess it pays to live in an active college town.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    PBR is probably the worst beer I've ever had. Even skunked stuff tastes better.

Last time I had it was in Austin at SXSW last year with Cen-Tex. I was a VIP at the bar we were in so everything was free(Thanks, CT!) Since I was already well on my way, I decided to grab a sixteener of PBR as a joke and have CT take a picture of me shotgunning it for henapple since the Salado Eggfest was the next day. I took one sip and 15.5 ounces went into the potted plant next to me while I wretched. The flavor is indescribably bad.

To illustrate my state of mind, I was begging some random dude to cut my hair(there was a barber's station at the party, for some reason) but he said it wasn't a good idea since he was drunk and high. I kept insisting since I was up for anything. CT had to drag me out.

I'm also pretty sure that plant died. Sorry Bangers Sausage House and Beer Garden!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    When's the last time you saw one of these? 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    PBR is a perfectly fine refreshing summer beer. I have zero problems drinking PBR and find myself occasionally doing so.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I dumped some PBR in a small thriving town in Southern Louisiana one day.  Week later, I drove through and the military, EPA and homeland overtook  the town in haz mat gear and emergency response vehicles.   Week later I drove through and it was bulldozed to the ground and all that was left was a Chik-fil-a.
    Options
    @Nolaegghead... Keep Bridge outta my yeti. @SGH... You too. They were guzzling pbr like Austin hipsters 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    I'm a fan but I like a simple lighter pilsner.  Shoot, I love a (really 2/3 blasted down fast) cold Bud and everyone sh*ts on that.
    Best - Jack
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2015
    Options
    PBR - To each, their own.
    I will not judge a fellow egger just on a personal selection of beer to consume, just the container in which it is supplied. Anything that resembles a PBR in your possession, requires you to be reported to the authorities (sorry powerless here, I do not write the rules). It is for your own protection, and that of your family, neighbors, neighborhood, city, county, state or province and country.

Do not view yourself as either criminal or libertine, just a person who has made horrific and ultimately regrettable choices, forcing those around him, (those he cares for, and those that care for him), to witness an ongoing self mutilation of taste buds, heretofore, not seen of upwardly mobile, alleged citizens of both state and country, since the dawn of democratic civilization, in North America.

Thou hast beseeched thy worth, to employ draught of the gutter to bid thy time and quench thy thirst! 

It's ok. I have had a few. Thumbs up if there are no other selections in the Yeti.
    Just sayin'

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would drink it after a few good craft beers.  After you have a few they all start tasting the same, but craft beers have more kick for the dollar.  Here are a few of my favorites especially Tank 7. 

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I'm a fan but I like a simple lighter pilsner.  Shoot, I love a (really 2/3 blasted down fast) cold Bud and everyone sh*ts on that.
    for a cheap beer, bud is ok, as long as it comes from the merrimack plant, outside of newengland its too sweet tasting, it needs the new hampshire water. i suspect thats why i liked the smuggled in coors but hated it once it came east.  the one that no one knows about was bud dark, in the erly 80's in college we bought 22 kegs a week for a happy hour and they always slipped in a keg of bud dark, i believe they were just testing the waters because you cant find anything on that beer and it was much smoother than mic dark
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    for a cheap beer, bud is ok, as long as it comes from the merrimack plant, outside of newengland its too sweet tasting, it needs the new hampshire water. i suspect thats why i liked the smuggled in coors but hated it once it came east.  the one that no one knows about was bud dark, in the erly 80's in college we bought 22 kegs a week for a happy hour and they always slipped in a keg of bud dark, i believe they were just testing the waters because you cant find anything on that beer and it was much smoother than mic dark
    For us, college kegs were Beast, or if someone was treating us right, Yuengling.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    PBR , I drank enough to float a boat! Good popular priced beer.
    I did prefer Falstaff, before it disappeared.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    To what?  Using a snifter? lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If it's all you can steal from somebody else's cooler it really isn't bad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like PBR as a lawn mower and shower beer.

I will say this, I've been a homebrewer for going on 20 years and I used to really like the whole craft brew thing.   But in the last few years, IMHO, craft beer has become less and less attractive to me, way too many over hopped and high gravity beers out there now.  My tastes have changed over the years, I don't like really hoppy American style ales.  I prefer lagers, and I will take a PBR over an Alpha King, most days.    That being said, this is my favorite time of year, Oktoberfest beers have hit the stores, I pickup up 4 cases at Costco already all German imports.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    It is better than Budweiser!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    tjv said:
    Griffin said:
    tjv said:
    not sure if today's pbr is like the old pbr.  can't tell ya how many PBR saloon signs I pulled under while driving cab in the late '70s......gotta love a wisconsin saloon at a 2am closing time.  

one of our local bars has lone star and pbr $2 drafts, all day - everyday.  Ironically, I pick lone star more often......

t

Lone Star and PBR both got bought up by the same Russian company, although I hear they are re-opening the old Lone Star Brewery back in San Antonio, so maybe somebody bought them back...I'm with you on the Lone Star, although I prefer Light. Just harder to find.
    i need to check out the lone star light.  we have several micro breweries opening up in Denton, one distillery moving up from dallas and a couple beer joints with 100+ beers on tap.   Guess it pays to live in an active college town.......

t

I grabbed a 12 pack at Total Wine for $9.99 Friday.

I heard y'all were getting a new brewery soon and that currently they were having their beer made at Deep Ellum Brewery. Funny thing is, I also heard their beer was better than Deep Ellum's. That's pretty bad when you brew somebody else's beer for them and its better than your own. LOL.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I like it and I've been known to buy it. There, I said it.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'll drink most beer. The only beer that I won't buy is Miller Lite. That crap is just awful. Will I still drink it? Yes, but it tastes like water with a slight beer taste. PBR before Miller Lite any day 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    PBR - To each, their own.
    I will not judge a fellow egger just on a personal selection of beer to consume, just the container in which it is supplied. Anything that resembles a PBR in your possession, requires you to be reported to the authorities (sorry powerless here, I do not write the rules). It is for your own protection, and that of your family, neighbors, neighborhood, city, county, state or province and country.

Do not view yourself as either criminal or libertine, just a person who has made horrific and ultimately regrettable choices, forcing those around him, (those he cares for, and those that care for him), to witness an ongoing self mutilation of taste buds, heretofore, not seen of upwardly mobile, alleged citizens of both state and country, since the dawn of democratic civilization, in North America.

Thou hast beseeched thy worth, to employ draught of the gutter to bid thy time and quench thy thirst! 

It's ok. I have had a few. Thumbs up if there are no other selections in the Yeti.
    Just sayin'

Going through the files the other day and found this.

Guilty, at 14,421feet (4396 meters). Summit beer. One of the climbing party surprised us with a breakfast beverage after the summit. I thought it to be rude not to accept. It was good, and it kicked my tail. Lack of oxygen made it too easy. had to stay longer to get my legs and head back in line.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you don't have money to buy decent or your a hipster I could understand why you drink PBR. Other than that why?

I was in Salt Lake City a few years ago to go skiing and they were charging an arm and a leg for a pitcher even at ski lodge prices for PBR and it was by far the most popular drink of choice made me think I was in Bizarro World.