Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love my Ash Vacuum

Bought the PowerSmith Ash Vacuum and love it.
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I use an old shop vac.  So quick and easy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I too use a shop vac with a dry wall filter .. ofcourse have to use it when everything has cooled down .. works great.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have been thinking about a small vac for a while.  I have a bigger shop vac but it is stored down in the basement.  This looks pretty nice because it won't blow ash back out the exhaust. 

It looks like this can be used as a blower as well.  That is another good feature- switch it from suck to blow and point it at the fire or through the bottom vent to stoke the fire.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    edited August 2015
    I use a portable shop vac.  Should be standard issue with an Egg.
    Toronto ON
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Since I got my Hi Que grate, the ash that falls through seems too big to use a shop vac with.  Anyone else notice this?
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    kbutler84 said:
    Since I got my Hi Que grate, the ash that falls through seems too big to use a shop vac with.  Anyone else notice this?
    sift through and get some of the larger pieces that fall through and toss them on top of your next cook
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    chrisc133 said:
    kbutler84 said:
    sift through and get some of the larger pieces that fall through and toss them on top of your next cook

I have the same grate.  I just keep a container to one side and as pieces get caught in the intake I grab them, toss them in the container, and keep going. Empty the container back in when refilling. Whole exercise takes only a couple of minutes.
    Toronto ON
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    I have been thinking about a small vac for a while.  I have a bigger shop vac but it is stored down in the basement.  This looks pretty nice because it won't blow ash back out the exhaust. 

It looks like this can be used as a blower as well.  That is another good feature- switch it from suck to blow and point it at the fire or through the bottom vent to stoke the fire.  
    add one of these to the exhaust along with the dry wall filter as you mentioned and it works great 
    Craftsman 2-12 in MufflerDiffuser
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xhYnWDCd0

Kind of ambitious for many, but there are DOZENS of such videos online.   You could also buy the Oneida Dust Deputy which goes for about 50$ and sits on TOP of a standard 5 gallon plastic bucket.  

SAVE YOUR SHOP VAC FILTER!

You will recover the cost of any DIY dust trap build by NOT buying just a FEW of those wacky expensive shop vac filters.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Why? I have had my egg for 6 years and have vacuumed it maybe twice. I use my ash tool after every 3-4 cooks, almost never remove the firebox to clean it out back there and never have any problems getting to or maintaining temp.

Some folks leave a layer of ash on the bottom of the egg to protect the ceramic from the super high temps. No idea if that works, but it sure won't if you vac all the ashes out! LOL

For you plastic vac users, don't be surprised if you melt your shop vac (or worse) one of these days because you thought the coals were dead.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    eggnewtoy said:
    Bought the PowerSmith Ash Vacuum and love it.
    +1 Bought Power Smith at local discount store for $60 . Use it with Kickash basket makes cleanup a total no brainer .
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Why? I have had my egg for 6 years and have vacuumed it maybe twice. I use my ash tool after every 3-4 cooks, almost never remove the firebox to clean it out back there and never have any problems getting to or maintaining temp.

Some folks leave a layer of ash on the bottom of the egg to protect the ceramic from the super high temps. No idea if that works, but it sure won't if you vac all the ashes out! LOL

For you plastic vac users, don't be surprised if you melt your shop vac (or worse) one of these days because you thought the coals were dead.
    I just read what a Power Smith vacuum is for  *** I would never vacuum hot coals or warm coals with my Rigid***  the exhaust adapter works great as a second filter and quiets the noise.

For the people that think that a layer of ash is going to protect the ceramic on super high heat I have ocean front property in AZ if you are interested.    =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Long ago on another forum someone said to put your hand inside a plastic market bag, and grab out the ash in the bottom of the firebowl "like you were chasing a bug." I've been doing that for years, dumping the ash in the little trash receptacle I keep out there. It takes less than a minute and I don't have to plug anything in...and I've spent that $75 on something else.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I a bucket vac from Home Depot.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496

I appreciate everyone's pov.  Thx  @sctdg, love the ash kicker and now I found a lump charcoal that I love--fogo. 

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.