Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA...Prepared for Erika & Others?

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
It's been close to 10 yrs since the last TS or Hurricane here and it appears this one has a strong possible projected path that could affect the FL and eastern seaboard.  Get prepared if you haven't already friends. 
http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-erika-atlantic-august-2015
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We've been due no doubt. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Stay safe. But please send the water to Calif. we could sure use it.  ;)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL
    I'm hoping that it fizzles out. If it doesn't, I will surely be wishing everyone the very best. The 10 year anniversary of Katrina is in just a couple of days. Just thinking about makes my blood run cold. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I hope it blows itself out, but if not hope all are safe. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I also hope it fizzles out. I live about 100 miles inland, but I feel bad for those in the path.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hoping for the best!  Couldn't believe it's been close to 10 years. Lived there for 10 years '64-74 and recall 3 episodes of boarding up and evac.  Fizzle please!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    23 years since Hurricane Andrew! I really hope this storms kicks up into the North Atlantic and fizzles away.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Kudos to you and your kin johnkitchens!  My kind of people!  You and yours are what keeps this small spinning rock right!  Hoping for easy times in FL.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Kudos to you and your kin johnkitchens!  My kind of people!  You and yours are what keeps this small spinning rock right!  Hoping for easy times in FL.
    Thanks! 

• DaveRichardson
    Options

My wife and I were in Gulfport when Katrina was coming in.  Staying at the Grand in Gulfport.  Several of their barges washed away.  Many friends lost everything and I've got one friend whose name is on the Katrina memorial wall in Biloxi.  that was tough seeing that a few ears ago....

Stay safe everyone, and I know that if any of our brothers or sisters in eggdom are affected, we will be supportive any way we can!

I nominate @SGH and @NOLAEGGHEAD will be our Gulf Coast captains!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @johnkitchens I knew I liked you for some reason. What a cool story. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    @johnkitchens I knew I liked you for some reason. What a cool story. 
    Thanks Kevin! 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This is a benefit us northerners have in that we don't have that to worry about.  You southerners repay us in the winter with your "You don't have to shovel sunshine" cracks.

Seriously, stay safe folks!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hurricane Sandy.
    Options
    We rode out Katrina at Touro Hospital.  It was like Apocalypse Now.
    Options
    10 years, it does not seem that long.

My SIL evacuated after the storm, fearing for her life, after watching armed gangs of looters, going door to door, kicking them in. She fled her home leaving all her belongings, first going to a friend's home, then finally getting out and staying with My Beautiful Wife, until allowed to return. Her home was destroyed, all that was not taken was trashed.

America failed our brothers and sisters horribly during that disaster.

Stay safe everyone in the path, I will help in anyway I am able.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I'm right near the landfall target in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. Hoping this dies before it gets close. If not, generators and the egg are ready to go.  Just hate having to bring the egg indoors but better safe than sorry.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @HofstraJet ^^^^ Yep agree. Just had our 250 Gallon LP tank topped off about a month ago and our autotransfer standby generator is and has been on the ready. Hoping this one putters out. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Thanks for the PSA, reminds me I need to crank our generator this weekend to make sure it is ready to go if needed.  I'm in MD, so we generally (and thankfully) only get the tail ends, but we're in an established neighborhood and we've got lots of 80+' tall oaks than can wreak havoc with power lines.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My natural gas, whole-house standby generator exercised on schedule (Sunday during church hours).   We're always ready.
    Options
    It might shift .. here is the 8am prediction ...
    While most of Florida is in Tropical Storm Erika's cone of uncertainty, the threat to the state is easing as the projected path has shifted to the east, placing Georgia or the Carolinas more under the gun.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This storm has been fantastic. Erika brought much-needed rain to my wife's family in Puerto Rico. Her mother's side farms coffee beans in the mountains and they've been struggling with the drought there.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nolaegghead Yep exercises weekly and just did maintenance and a loadbank test. Always ready...as ready as can be at least. 
    @Eggcelsior Agree sometimes TS can be a blessing in disguise to areas that are in drought but, unfortunately can cause mayhem too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Man I can't believe it has been 10 years, but I am sure we all wish for more years to pass before another one hits and not hit hard like Katrina did.  I pray it doesn't and you are all safe down south.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    I am sitting in St Croix right now looking at the sun shining waiting for the storm to arrive. We got a little much needed rain this morning but not enough. Bad part is due about 5pm according to best guesses. It will be interesting 
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Proser said:
    I am sitting in St Croix right now looking at the sun shining waiting for the storm to arrive. We got a little much needed rain this morning but not enough. Bad part is due about 5pm according to best guesses. It will be interesting 
    We'll be thinking about you and praying for the best.  Stay safe!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Great - she shifted back west all over Florida. This one may be an unpredictable soaker.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Still nothing but a little rain and a few wind gust in STX
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone