Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap for the minimax is coming soon!

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I like the cap looks on the MM.

The gasket is a great idea and gives a nice clean look.  Kinda wish the silicon was available as an alternative to the felt on the larger eggs.
    Why not just shoot a bead of silicone around the inside of your cap to replace the felt gasket? Ought to be an easy fix.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @stemc33 too big for the mm ceramic, but maybe would hold the large ceramic. If you're taking the cap off anyway, the gasket slips right off too. 
    Kind of a stupid question now that I think of it. Of course it wouldn't work if it has to be big enough to use the smokeware top. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @RRP - Hey Ron, I know you have your felt on the cap & not on the dome.  How does it react with oven cleaner?  I have mine on the dome, but I wish I had it on the cap until I thought about cleaning.  I'm thinking about getting V2, so I thought I would ask about it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @Focker to each his own, but I hate the daisy wheel. Really hate it. 
    Haters gona hate
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    @RRP - Hey Ron, I know you have your felt on the cap & not on the dome.  How does it react with oven cleaner?  I have mine on the dome, but I wish I had it on the cap until I thought about cleaning.  I'm thinking about getting V2, so I thought I would ask about it.
    Well - let's just put it this way...it ain't purdy! That once white gasket absorbed some creosote on its own that ran down the inside. Then when the oven cleaner liquified the goop it ran down into the gasket. All in all the gasket still works fine so other than appearance I'm still a fan on the gasket inside the cap and not on the neck of the dome.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - let's just put it this way...it ain't purdy! That once white gasket absorbed some creosote on its own that ran down the inside. Then when the oven cleaner liquified the goop it ran down into the gasket. All in all the gasket still works fine so other than appearance I'm still a fan on the gasket inside the cap and not on the neck of the dome.
    That's good enough for me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone ... You probably already know this, but Matt sells a replacement Nomex strip for the cap.  If you order a V2 cap, you could also order an extra strip or two.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm hoping this adapter works for the small.  If so I'll get it with a V2, put the V1 on the small and install the V2 with a gasket on the cap on the XL.
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just talked to Matt to confirm. The gasket will fit on a small. Same size vent. 

His is supplier is supposed to ship the first shipment to him on Tuesday of next week. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Cha-Ching!  Sale made right there!
    Flint, Michigan
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just got the email from Smokeware and ordered immediately.  I have been wanting this for my Small! 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Picked some items up from Smokeware at Jax Beach today. They're busy in the warehouse trying to get orders out to customers. MM/SBGE adaptors are officially in. And lots of them by the looks of it :sunglasses: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL ... looks cool ... kind of like a small Buda!!!  Did Matt share with you when the new thermometers are going to be available?

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeepster47 The Blackface one's sound like they should be available anytime now per warehouse guys. Matt had to leave so I just spoke to him on the phone. I saw a couple of them and they look pretty sweet. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Black faced thermo??? Interesting. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Background is black with white readout and SS case. Looks good. 3" dial I believe. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Yep ... a 3" dial like today's thermo.  The neat thing is that the white indicator is supposed to be glow in the dark.  I'm waiting patiently to buy one of the first.  I'm tired of moving my one 3" thermo back and forth between my two eggs.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Background is black with white readout and SS case. Looks good. 3" dial I believe. 

Oh hell yes. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Jeremiah ... no problem ... just get in line right behind me ... I've been waiting patiently for this one.  Will put it to good use this winter.

Waiting for this thermo kind of makes Franklin's seem like a fast food restaurant.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeepster47 get with Matt. I believe the glow in the dark function was 86ed because it wasn't working that well. I could be completely wrong.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Jeepster47 get with Matt. I believe the glow in the dark function was 86ed because it wasn't working that well. I could be completely wrong.
    Maybe this is why?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @DMW naw. I don't give a rat's ass about that crap. Unless :confused: they glow in the dark and can illuminate my egg. Is this unempathtic or a strike of sheer genius marketing. Free with every dome thermometer you'll receive 200 hrs of a illuminated radium contaminated worker....additional hours can be purchased later. Hello SharkTank :giggle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Damn, this like when I was a kid and saved up box tops to get that great big submarine that functioned with just a speck of baking soda.  Ended up being only a few inches long, made out of plastic, and lost my interest within five minutes. 

Sure was looking forward to that glow in the dark magic thermo.  Oh well, at least it's 3" in diameter ... and reasonably priced.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    My personal review....
    It held L&S temps 225-275 with no issues. 
    Even held 180℉ for smoking of nuts etc and didn't snuff the lump. 
    High temp of 650-700 over an hour didn't have any adverse effect on the adaptor.
    Shut down to snuff was just as fast as using the ceramic cap (YMMV). I snuffed at multiple temps ranging from 250-700 so obviously the time was considerably different from one to the other. 
    I'd recommend this product to anybody that's "on the fence". 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL good review, but the thread got killed....