Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach wood smoke for Pork Butt

Everyone,

I've finally found some good peach wood, and I cannot wait to smoke a pork butt this weekend with it.  Does anyone have an idea for some type of peach glaze or something to use in addition?  I think I recall seeing Myron Mixon do something similar a while back, but I cannot find it anywhere.  I'm going to use Dizzy Dust for the rub, but thinking about something in addition, like some type of peach injection?  Any ideas or experience with this?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I made a ham and loosely followed this recipe:
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/2014/10/double-smoked-ham-with-peach-pomegranate-glaze/

I used regular honey and regular balsamic vinegar, then added some Dijon mustard to tone down the sweetness.  You might find peach balsamic which would make it extra peachy.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Looks good, thank you.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I don't know about a glaze, but I have made a sauce using the following recipe and peach preserves that was really good.

1 T canola oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1.5 cups fruit preserves (we like peach and blackberry best)
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    2/3 cup ketchup
    2 heaping T creole mustard (Dijon works in a pinch too)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)

Heat oil in a pan large enough to hold all ingredients, add onion and sauté until golden. Reduce heat to medium and add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered until all ingredients are combined, about 10-12 minutes.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I've actually been thinking about peachwood on a butt, love for you to report back and tell us how it was. Interested.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @SoCalTim I have used peach wood on lots of things (including a butt) and it is a great mild smoke flavor.  I would say it is pretty similar to apple.  It doesn't exactly taste like peaches (I don't think apple smoke tastes like apples either), but it is just a mild sweet smoke.  Highly recommend if you find some. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @SoCalTim I have used peach wood on lots of things (including a butt) and it is a great mild smoke flavor.  I would say it is pretty similar to apple.  It doesn't exactly taste like peaches (I don't think apple smoke tastes like apples either), but it is just a mild sweet smoke.  Highly recommend if you find some. 
    Thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    I plan on using a combination of peach and apple wood, I'll definitely report back on outcome.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've used it quite a bit as my in-laws own a peach orchard.  Nice mild/sweet flavor.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • PorkU
    PorkU Posts: 32
    Trust me when I tell you...make this glaze and baste the butt every hour after the first hour!!  I make great guava glazed tacos but have used peach for an alternate and its kick ass!!

1.5 cups peach jelly
    1/4 cup dijon
    1/4 cup orange juice
    2tb lime juice
    Salt and Pepper... and of course I add a couple tb of Pork U Garlic 101

whisk together and slap it on the butt every hour after the first hour of cooking.
    WWW.PORKU.NET

FACEBOOK.COM/PORKU11

INSTAGRAM  PORK_U

TWITTER.COM/PORKUNIVERSITY

PERISCOPE  PORK U
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I like a mix of peach and hickory.  Good for pork butt and ribs.   Introduced to real BBQ in NC, I just don't see doing pork butts without a little hickory.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    I made a ham and loosely followed this recipe:
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/2014/10/double-smoked-ham-with-peach-pomegranate-glaze/

I used regular honey and regular balsamic vinegar, then added some Dijon mustard to tone down the sweetness.  You might find peach balsamic which would make it extra peachy.   
    I do something similar but add a dab of mustard POWDER, too.   And I've been known to use ORANGES, pulp and all.  
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    I started using peach wood last year from fruita wood.  It is some of the very best that I have ever used for smoking.

The smell it makes is incredible, the smoke is sweet and soft. It is amazing on pork.  I have a picture of it in my last post that I used on ribs.  

If you haven't yet tried it... you should!!
  • Jickey
    Jickey Posts: 13
    Peach is the theme for my entire flavor profile. Peach wood to start the smoke, switching over to pecan later. My injection uses peach nectar in place of apple juice. This Glaze will knock your hat off. 

1/3 cup honey 
    1/4 cup BBQ sauce 
    1/4 cup peach nectar
    1/8 cup cider vinegar 
    1/8 cup peach infused bourbon 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I am doing a butt for the main college football opening day. I have been a huge fan of peach smoke, and I will try this glaze. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2015
    Peach is good for everything, but it's very mild.  I just did a pork butt with peach and I didn't use enough.  I always do apple and maple, but just grabbed the peach this time.  Next time I'll mix some maple or use a lot more of it.
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    @Bullhalsey - I use Peach wood on both poultry and pork all the time and love it! @SmokeyPitt describes it very well. I can't help you with a glaze but I would really encourage you to check our RunninWild Peach Rub. It's a very unique and awesome rub if you like that flavor profile. You can order it from their website. You won't regret it.....
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2