Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap for the minimax is coming soon!

Options
For the past month I've been beta testing an adapter from Smokeware for the minimax. (Thank you @Jeepster47 for putting us together)

It's a high temp silicon gasket that seals the gap between the chimney and the regular cap.

This is the second version. 

The seal on the first was good, but a little loose. This version is very tight and seals nicely. 

According to Matt, they should start showing up on the Smokeware site on Friday.  Hit me up with any questions, other than pricing as I haven't a clue. 

On a side note I really like the new version of the cap. I have been able to hold temps around 200 on the mm for hours. 

Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with Smokeware or Matt in any way, other than being a satisfied customer. This is not a paid endorsement and I received no monetary payment for it. 

Comments

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Fantastic news!!!
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    This is prob a dumb question but will this work for a small?
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    This is prob a dumb question but will this work for a small?
    I believe the small and mm have the same diameter chimney, if so, then yes. 

Someone in the know on chimneys can chime in. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    THAT is GREAT news!!! I knew something was going on in the "skunkworks" to adapt a Smokeware® to a M/M.  So you are saying the 2nd prototype nailed it, huh? I am very glad for Matt! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @RRP the second one I received anyway. Not sure how many he had before that, but it's a great deal now. You can remove it, but it takes a little effort. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I should also say, I took the temp way up several times on the first version and it looked as good coming off as going on. 

It sat right on the hottest part of the dome according to my IR thermometer. The intersection of the dome and chimney. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's cool. He said something to me at the ga mtn fest about this. Good to see it come to fruition. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    IMHO, makes an already goofy lookin' little grill even goofier.  
    Was hoping Matt would come up with a better option.

A cone stove pipe cap from Lowe's would be much cheaper when the rain and snow hit, equally goofy.  Remove when opening. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Focker to each his own, but I hate the daisy wheel. Really hate it. 
  • Focker
    Options
    @yolksonyou,
    I hear ya, only use it on the small for low and slows.  For a few bucks, place the cap on the egg when the rain comes.

Not trying to be a Richard, giving honest input.  

Really disappointed in Matt for not coming up with a better, smaller scaled option.  Oh well.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Focker I was honestly worried about scale as well, but it looks ok to me in person. It's sitting on my nasty a$$ table with the large, but I didn't want y'all to see how nasty it is. Maybe a better pic would help.  Scaling it down to size would be very expensive to tool up a shop. 

Again, no affiliation, but I'm happy. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited August 2015
    Options
    At least with the adapter, you can use the cap on all of the eggs versus buying multiple caps. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2015
    Options
     Scaling it down to size would be very expensive to tool up a shop. 
    Not so sure about that, at least around here.  

I believe he has a market for it with the Small, MM.  
    Not sure if the KJ Jr or Vison, or other smaller ceramic options, are the same diameter too?

Hell, give me a weekend with my welder cousin, and we would have something at least purposeful. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Focker said:
    @yolksonyou,
    I hear ya, only use it on the small for low and slows.  For a few bucks, place the cap on the egg when the rain comes.

Not trying to be a Richard, giving honest input.  

Really disappointed in Matt for not coming up with a better, smaller scaled option.  Oh well.   
    Brandon,
    Over the last 3 years I have had several conversations with Matt, both on the phone and via email. Doing a smaller version of a Smokeware cap would have cost him a huge amount and at risk was trying to figure how many M/M would be sold at the price. That coupled with how many eggers would then want to buy a Smokeware cap for it. Get my point? I honestly don't blame him for going this route!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Options
    At least with the adapter, you can use the cap on all of the eggs versus buying multiple caps. 
    @DoubleEgger,
    My two larges are tight.  As in, never removing them tight.  I put Permatex and Rutland on the inside collar after experiencing a melt down before Matt changed the gaskets to Nomex.  I think our post motivated that.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There's a big difference in producing onewith a cousin welder and mass producing something someone wants to buy with a toll producer. In a manufacturing environment that I'm in, asking someone to retool is expensive for mass production. @Focker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My large ain't coming off without a pry bar as well. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm interested in knowing if this would fit a small egg too. 

That  cap from lowes keeps the rain out, but doesn't have the option of regulating temp or shutting the egg down. I hate the ceramic cap/ daisy wheel combo.  Haven't used either since I got the v1 smokeware cap a couple of years ago

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    For the past month I've been beta testing an adapter from Smokeware for the minimax. (Thank you @Jeepster47 for putting us together)
    My pleasure ... love to help out friends.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @caliking @riverdoc inside diameter of relaxed gasket is approximately 5 7/16". If someone would measure the outside diameter of a small, we'd have our answer. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I nearly positive they're the same. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There's a big difference in producing onewith a cousin welder and mass producing something someone wants to buy with a toll producer. In a manufacturing environment that I'm in, asking someone to retool is expensive for mass production. @Focker
    I agree about the one off vs mass production.

I've been in manufacturing for most of my working life, thanks to John Deere and CAT.  Tool and die makers are a dime a dozen.  He doesn't want to F with it or branch, and that's fine. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Focker said:
     Scaling it down to size would be very expensive to tool up a shop. 
    Not so sure about that, at least around here.  

I believe he has a market for it with the Small, MM.  
    Not sure if the KJ Jr or Vison, or other smaller ceramic options, are the same diameter too?

Hell, give me a weekend with my welder cousin, and we would have something at least purposeful. lol
    Speaking of KJ, it looks like KJ will soon be introducing a new cap:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jason, I'm hoping to swing by and pic up a couple of these from Matt at his local warehouse/office this week. I've been communicating with him over the last several months on this. I'd be super stoked to be able to showcase it at the next demo this coming weekend. We'll see I guess. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I think retooling could be in the future but, that is a lot more costly than most people could imagine. Ultimately there would need to be sufficient project sales to make it a worthwhile venture imho. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DutchMiniMax
    Options
    Looks interesting but the cap itself is really to large for the MM.
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @theyolksonyouI like that silicon adapter. Will it hold the ceramic cap in place? I live on a dirt road and travel on dirt roads so traveling with the ceramic cap in place keeps the dirt out. I hate that gooey stock felt, but it keeps the cap on tight and dirt out. I run my large naked and have no problems snuffing the fire. I just make sure I remove it before opening the lid so it don't fall. I'd run naked with the MM if I didn't travel. Running without felt makes it so much easier to switch the DFMT out with the cap. 

Anyway, can you check to see if the silicon adapter will keep the cermic cap snug and in place. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks interesting but the cap itself is really to large for the MM.
    I kinda disagree. I think it looks pretty cool!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @stemc33 too big for the mm ceramic, but maybe would hold the large ceramic. If you're taking the cap off anyway, the gasket slips right off too. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    I like the cap looks on the MM.

The gasket is a great idea and gives a nice clean look.  Kinda wish the silicon was available as an alternative to the felt on the larger eggs.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS