Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emile Henry pizza stone question

Options
I just bought an Emile Henry pizza stone.  The directions seem to tell you to assemble the pizza on the stone and then put on the grill.  On the forum, it sounds like everyone is heating the stone first.  Does anyone use an Emile Henry stone and how do you use it?
Butch Festus MO

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The directions from Emile Henry that I read say to preheat the pizza stone.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't have one, but their instructions say...

USAGE TIPS

Homemade Pizza – Preheat the Pizza Stone and use a pizza peel to place pizza on the hot Pizza Stone on the grill or in the oven. 

http://www.emilehenryusa.com/info/pizza-stone-care.pdf

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    Has to be heated first.  30-60 minutes for best results.  Put the stone on early, 200f or less, don't shock it.
  • Butchz
    Butchz Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  It makes much more sense to heat first.  I will be trying this weekend.  I make homemade pizza often but usually just bake it in the oven on a pizza pan.
    Butch Festus MO
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I preheat the stone and build the pizza on a pizza screen and put that in after the stone has heated up to the correct temp for whatever pizza dough you are using calls for.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I love my Emile Henry! I also preheat and then place my pizza on it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Butchz
    Options
    First pizza!!  We were pleased with our first attempt.  We do not have a pizza peel but I am sure that will be our next purchase.  The crust was homemade but a little thicker than we usually like so will make a little thinner next time.
    Butch Festus MO
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    @Butchz - hey, bud - you did well for the first try! I had not caught until now that you are in Festus. For many years when traveling from Peoria, IL down to my wife's grandmother's in the tiny burg of Oran, Mo below Cape G, we would beat feet around SL and then stop in Festus for lunch of supper. I swear I can still see in my mind a big green water tower with F E S T U S painted on it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Butchz
    Options
    Ron,  Don't know how long ago you stopped in Festus but it has really grown for a small town.  Great to hear from you.
    Butch Festus MO