Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos al pastor

13»

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Shazzamm!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've never seen this thread before..... :o

Al pastor is one of my absolute favorites!!!!  Awesome cook and write-up.  Thanks for sharing this one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Outstanding job!  Pastor tacos are one of my favorites, they usually kind of go under the radar since most people use beef, chicken, or seafood.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Thanks everyone, the only thing I have changed since this post is to slice the pork much thinner and I use part of the pineapple on the spot before adding the meat to give it some height. This cook it was cooking in its own juices and didn't get crispy until after we threw it on the comal. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    So slice pork thinner (maybe 1/4") then pound even thinner before marinade/cook?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    This looks incredible.  This was just added to my "to copy" folder
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow wow wow wow wow! Thanks for the detailed write up as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Solson005
    @NDG last time I actually found some thinly sliced pork at the Mexican grocery store and didn't need to pound it out. Just think; the thinner it is, the less time it will take to cook and crisp up. Both ways are good, give it a try and let me know what you think!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Got it.  Think I am going to use boneless pork butt.  Really hope to get time on saturday. Thanks again for nice write-up.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Solson005
    Happy to help @NDG those are the types of posts I like, so most of mine are like this. It takes some time, but is a good way to remember great cooks. Enjoy making it this weekend! 
  • Wow looks great and I love Al pastor!  I'm always impressed when everything's made from scratch.  Props to you!
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • one of the finest posts i have ever seen on the forum(s).  thanks for sharing it.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited August 2015
    Outstanding... :o... Insanely great post!