Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Temperature control

Options
BGE Digi Q or ????  What works best for control and app compatible?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    How much money you got? Wifi controllers are running some three to four hundred dollars and up.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    funny you would post.  Not 2 minutes ago I just got finished packing up my new Digiq to return it, after picking it up just a few hours ago.  

My review - I was incredibly impressed with the unit while I was playing with it on my couch.  It is simple to use, and the fan control was pretty impressive.  It gives just little puffs of air as it gets close to the set temp.  I played with it and within just a few minutes I had all the settings and controls figured out and working.  Based upon what I saw initially I'd give it a  big thumbs up.

but,

the unit then began to act as if it was possessed.  It would change the set temp very rapidly down to 32 degrees - without me touching it.  I unplugged and tried again with the same result 3 times.  Then the unit froze up completely.  

I'm torn - do I get the obviously defective unit replaced, or do I go with something else?  What if another unit does this during a cook?  On the other had maybe a replacement unit would be just fine.  I wish Thermoworks produced a controller.  I'm tempted to forgo the controller and just get the ThermaQ.

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I like simple, I just got a BBQ Guru Party Q ... used it for the first time yesterday, dialed it in @225 ... Held it there for the whole cook no problems. Pretty inexpensive at $160
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I went with the Rock's BBQ Stoker. Controls multiple grills, numerous probes, works over wifi, I think it can setup its own wifi if none are available to use, has its own browser page or works with apps, can be setup to work over the Internet so you can monitor or control it from anywhere, it can tweet updates to you during a cook, leds in the plugs light up certain colors so you know what an alarm is from a distance, and it's on sale right now. It's not cheap, but it's pretty cool.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• redharley13
    Options
    Party Q for me as well, loved it and worked great.  I do use the Igrill 2 as well to keep an eye on things.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc conversation here brother.  They're all good items, it just comes to personal preference.  

I personally wanted no frills controlling for over nighters.  I just don't use one enough to justify a fully featured controller.  I think if you're new to this game, you may be fighting temp control, but once you know your Egg, you'll find that controller will get used less, even with lower, slower cooks.  

I have a Party Q and a Maverick 733.  The Party Q is simple and runs off batteries (which means no cords).  Two buttons and an on/off switch.  It just works and works well.  

The Maverick is just to monitor to ensure nothing goes haywire.  

I think you need to print the specs off and see what you want, you'll get a lot of info thrown at you here in a bit about what works for others.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I say skip the auto temp control.  Do it the old fashioned way.  Vent control.  It is part of the fun/challenge of BBQ in my opinion.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a DigiQ (not BGE-branded) and it has been flawless for the 5 or so years I have owned it. I use it only for overnight low and slow cooks which means I don't use it nearly as often as I used to. Much too much money for the use it gets.

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't. Not just the DigiQ, I wouldn't buy any of them, except maybe the Tip Top Temp for 30 bucks. And there's no way I would buy one for multiple cookers or remote access. No need or desire.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have the wifi stoker.  If I'm going to make ribs or something fairly short I won't use it.  But I really bought it for when I do briskets or butts that require overnight cooks.  I have one young child already and another on the way.  Sleep is a luxury and I'm going to sleep any time I can.  Having a controller let's me not worry about it as much.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc conversation here brother.  They're all good items, it just comes to personal preference.  

I personally wanted no frills controlling for over nighters.  I just don't use one enough to justify a fully featured controller.  I think if you're new to this game, you may be fighting temp control, but once you know your Egg, you'll find that controller will get used less, even with lower, slower cooks.  

I have a Party Q and a Maverick 733.  The Party Q is simple and runs off batteries (which means no cords).  Two buttons and an on/off switch.  It just works and works well.  

The Maverick is just to monitor to ensure nothing goes haywire.  

I think you need to print the specs off and see what you want, you'll get a lot of info thrown at you here in a bit about what works for others.  
    Being able to use batteries (for true portability) and the utter simplicity of the Party Q sold me.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Old School. 

Manual
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Old School. 

Manual
    I can respect that, but ... I do like my sleep.
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    Great feedback everyone, thank you!  I would mainly use it for pork butt and brisket, have experience with using the stoker on a couple Assassin smokers for my friends comp team.  But I have to say the Egg is very easy to maintain solid temp so it certainly isn't a necessity.  
  • MelSharples
    Options
    I just cooked a 22# clod over a 20 hour period using the Flame Boss 200 (wifi) it was my first time cooking that long with help and I can't say enough about how easy it was using this controller. Even went shopping with the wife and kids for half the day and had no trouble keeping an eye on things using my phone. I'm sure they're all the same or similar but the Flame Boss is incredibly easy to use and control. Although, instead of constantly checking the temps manually I find myself checking my phone just as often, OCD I guess...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It isn't a necessity, but me going to sleep not worrying about temp control beats being dog tired every time I make a pork butt or brisket. 
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love my Guru Digi Q DX2,, makes long overnight cooks stress free and effortless.  One of my favourite Eggccessories.  I sometime use it with the grill temp monitoring one egg while the meat probe is in another, very flexible and simple to use.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'd be really interested to know if anyone here has done briskets at 200 or less and has also done briskets at 250 or 275.  I've never seen a packer in my area, so I've never cooked one, only flats, so they don't take as long.  But Myron Mixon famously/notoriously cooks briskets "hot and fast" (I think "hot" might be something like 275, not 350 or anything), and so often on this forum I've seen people talking about pork butts, ribs, etc., at higher temps for shorter times and claiming they were just as good or even better!

My pork butt cooks tend to be 7-9 hours, so I don't need to worry about trying to sleep with a fire going unattended. But I'm really wondering whether if there were a "blind" tasting of briskets cooked at 190 or briskets cooked at 275 whether anyone really could taste the difference.

I also notice that I get what seems like a lot more smoke production from the wood chunks when I'm cooking at 250 or higher, and I've seen some people here say they think 250 or so is their "sweet spot" for cooking low and slow on the Egg.  I usually cook closer to 200, but I'm thinking about raising that.

So how about it?  Have those of you who cook overnight ever tried cooking a little hotter, and if so, what differences did you notice?
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use the Flame Boss 100 and 200 WiFi models. I chose the Flame Boss because of the easy user interface and because it's the only blower, to my knowledge, that works on all sizes of ceramic cookers without having to buy extra parts. It will power my Mini Max all the way up to my XL, plus my other cookers. 

That being said, I typically only use it during overnight cooks OR when I want super low temps. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Theophan said:

But I'm really wondering whether if there were a "blind" tasting of briskets cooked at 190 or briskets cooked at 275 whether anyone really could taste the difference.

Unless It's wagyu, I'm guessing that one would be under cooked and take forever
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Using a flameboss 200 here. Love not worrying about it overnight or while out running errands. It also fits both my classic and Jr...can't beat that. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    Party Q here. Reasonably priced and simple to use. Love the thing.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I started with the DigiQ DX2 and then my lovely wife bought me the CyberQ. Both are great for overnight low and slows.
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    Flame Boss 200. Easy to set up and use and I like being able to remotely monitor the cook.
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I got a CyberQ and use it for overnight or day cooks when I am at work. I have run several with no problems. 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Old School. 

Manual
    I can respect that, but ... I do like my sleep.
    I'm a morning person. I'd rather start early than start late.  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    I love my Guru Digi Q DX2,, makes long overnight cooks stress free and effortless.  One of my favourite Eggccessories.  I sometime use it with the grill temp monitoring one egg while the meat probe is in another, very flexible and simple to use.  
    Doesn't the food probe max out at 250?  Mine is an older model though.
    That's fine for monitoring, but in the end, you can only control one pit with the DX2.  Your dome therm can do that. 

Whenever I run the Digi on a single pit, I never bother to plug the food probe in.  Just another wire to get in the way, and use the Thermapen when things are close.   

In cold weather, windy climates, and offering a bit of insurance and sleep during the overnighters, I believe they are a worthy investment.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."