Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie

Saw this in my YouTube feed last night, pretty cool way to fit a rotisserie on a Kamado. Thought people here might be interested since most Joe accessories fit on a large BGE. I've used a few of this guys recipes... he's good but boring as hell. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dKDQFX4VcU

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Interesting find.

Somewhere, someone will buy it.
    To each their own.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Man, jmseltzer has lost a bunch of weight. Good for him!
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Saw this as well...looking forward to it.

By the way, for those here with blood that runs green, John confirmed in the comments it will fit the Large BGE.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Looks solid.  Gotta hand it to KJ, the IH of ceramic.  They are comin' up with some cool accessories.

Wonder if it will take D batteries like the CB and Auspit.  

How much $$$?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks pretty slick. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Focker said:
    Looks solid.  Gotta hand it to KJ, the IH of ceramic.  They are comin' up with some cool accessories.

How much $$$?

kJ did not come up with, some guy in Ohio designed it couple years ago.  He tried selling them on ebay but not sure he had much luck.  

I made one similar for my medium egg back in 2006.  It's a do something different cook but after that itch has been scratched, the unit is a pain to store, keep clean, always gotta run a cord and such.  

One thing I found is as the food spins, it can drop drop into the fire ring.  I am sure that is the case on the kjoe classic, as it's 3.5" or so from the fire ring to felt line.   It can be a challenge to spin stuff direct and not burn it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184

Looks like it just plugs into the wall. Haven't seen anything on price, not on Amazon yet and didn't come up on google shopping. Must have been a thing for him to promote on his site to stir up interest before it releases.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That guy has shed an azz of weight. He used to be ManCave Meals
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lewisj82
    Man, I knew he'd dropped a bunch of weight, but after digging and finding one of his older videos I didn't realize how much. Glad he did it. I had forgotten about Man Cave Meals, I used to watch that!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I would be interested if they had one to fit the XL.  That's about the only thing I miss from my gas grill.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Diver56
    Diver56 Posts: 1
    October is when they are saying it will be out. $249.00  The one for The Big Joe should be out in January haven't seen a price for it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Looks like a good adaptation to a kamado.  Not sure it's a must have, but cool nonetheless.  

Kamado Joe seems to be beating BGE in way of development lately.  Hopefully BGE has some good stuff in the works.

Phoenix 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Do you guys see any problems with the motor not having enough clearance if the grill is in a table?  It appears the bottom of the motor is around even with the gasket....so I wouldn't think so. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Pretty cool design. I have never cooked on a rotisserie, may have to look in to it when it comes out 
  • I think the design is very well thought out, what scares me is that is a bit too close to the fire. I can see some drippings drop and boom your beautiful chicken is toast!
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Very interested.  Have a rotisserie for the winters and it's great.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I think the design is very well thought out, what scares me is that is a bit too close to the fire. I can see some drippings drop and boom your beautiful chicken is toast!
    Could go spider and indirect.  Just a thought. 

Guess I'll be in the minority as this doesn't interest me at all.  Have a rotisserie on my gasser and rarely use it. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tjv

• tjv
    you can see how the leg and wings can burn, as they are closer to the heat on spinning.  

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Pretty interesting, but it would be hard for me to see how that would be better than a spatchcocked bird.  Just saying......................
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Focker
    edited August 2015
    Chicken is no longer cooked on the egg any method, post rotisserie.

IMO, the egg is not the right vessel for rotisserie cooking.  Another reason for me to own another grill.   =)

Always interested to see people creating new products.  I'm sure there are other rotisserie cooks that could benefit from more direct heat/char.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lewisj82
    He posted a prime rib on the rotisserie over the weekend, said he'd do a chicken next. Curious to see if his legs and wings get charred. 

From what it looks like, it won't fit on my XL. Oh well... guess I need to look into getting a large as well. Because you know... versatility and all... 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    lewisj82 said:
    He posted a prime rib on the rotisserie over the weekend, said he'd do a chicken next. Curious to see if his legs and wings get charred. 

From what it looks like, it won't fit on my XL. Oh well... guess I need to look into getting a large as well. Because you know... versatility and all... 
    I saw the video also, in the video he talks about piling the lump up on one side, a hot zone and a cool zone. I think that will solve the burning issue as the meat is not on the heat all the time.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

I think it would work much better on the XL with the KJ Big Joe version if it hits the market. The extra large lump grate would be great for duel zone and or adding a drip tray.
    Very similar to the way I cook the big bird every year on my Weber 22".

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    I agree, and would seriously consider one at $250 if I had an XL, and they made one for it.....and I didn't have a Cajun Bandit for the Weeber.  

It will be more challenging to run a two zone in the large though.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tjv
    On John's prime rib, not much char on the two side ends, only on the part spinning around.  

setting up indirect helps but still a busy cook when compared to conventional ceramic cooks for basically same results.

t

• Focker
    edited August 2015
    @tjv,
    Looks like a banked two-zone is the way to go.  Still think this would be best in the XL, but doable in the L.

Agree, don't really see the point in doing an all indirect rotisserie cook on the egg or any vessel.  You need a combination of both direct and indirect. (two-zone)

Think he could've went higher on temp and picked a couple of 4lbers, instead of a 7, but looks promising for those interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0c6q3Y9HM
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Not interested at that price point. I had one on my gas grill pre Egg days and hardly ever used it. Not sure I'd use it much on the Egg either.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I'll take spatchcock any day over this :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Focker
    edited August 2015
    fljoemon said:
    I'll take spatchcock any day over this :-)
    Yeah when I first started chuggin' the koolaid, I said that too.  Then the high wore off trying other methods and not settling on just one.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities