Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Inject or Not

Options
I have always injected my pork butts with Tony ChaChere's creole butter.  A friend was telling me the last one he cooked on his stick burner wasn't injected and it turned out really good.  So I was wondering if I am just adding extra fat to the meat as well as wasting time, or should I keep doing what works for me.  Would be open for any advice.  
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    My preference is no injection on butts..  Just mustard and rub... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I typically inject a butt with apple juice sugar and salt. But I have done it without and it has turned out good as well. I would stick with what works for you.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    One problem with the injection I am using is there is so much fat in the left overs.  SWMBO isn't too keen on that.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Not unless I'm doing Cuban. For regular PP I'm too lazy and don't think it's necessary. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    try one with no injection, and one injecting a traditional vinegar sauce towards the end of the cook, pork has a nice delicate flavor, no sense muddying it up with creaole butter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I don't inject and have always been quite pleased with the results.  I think you're adding unnecessary steps, money and fat.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I cooked three butts the other day and for the first time injected them.  Rave reviews.  Used salt, sugar, apple juice, worcheshire, and a little bit of cayenne pepper. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No injection, no mustard. Just simple rub (sometimes as simple as just S&P) and smoke wood. That's what they do in my favorite Q joints and it's good enough for me. 

Sorry, but the thought of injecting butter just sounds awful to me. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut