Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difficulty Maintaining Low Temp

Options
i did my first ten hr cook on my new XL yesterday.  Had a hard time keeping the temp at 250. Bottom vent was open maybe 1/8" and the daisy wheel was essentially closed.  Temp varied from 235 to 260 over the ten hours. Had cleaned the ash out prior to cook.  Was using a woo, 17,5" pizza stone and BGE grid.  It was like there was just too much air coming in.  Heaven help me if I wanted to do a 225 cook.  Any ideas?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sounds pretty much spot on to me. Below 250° dome temp is often difficult to maintain without an electronic controller. If it stayed between 235 and 260° for 10 hrs, good on ya. 

And welcome to the madness! :

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ten degrees won't affect anything. But as always, if it is too hot, then vents are open more than they need to be. 

People sometimes fear they'll choke the fire by shutting it more, but the thing is obviously burning hot, so have no fear and shut the vent(s) a bit more

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Dollar bill test ?  Might be sucking in air because of lid alignment... Just a thought. 
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    As said as above +/- 10° is no big deal.  Unless I'm smoking beef my cooks don't get below 325-350°. I'm a big fan of turbo cooking when it come to pork.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll try the dollar bill test tomorrow. Mattman, you mentioned a term I've seen here before but haven't seen a description: turbo cooking. What is it?  BTW the 10hr was a little pork butt that turned out delish. And I successfully did my first ever rack of Baby backs, do I've very happy.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Turbo cooking is cooking at 350° indirect rather than 225-275° indirect.  For a pork butt I will run 350° from start to finish with no foil. For a 7-8lb butt it will usually take about 5 1/2 - 6hrs. For Baby Back ribs same thing and will generally take about 1:45mins to pass the bend test.  You have to be careful with the amount of sugar in your rub because it will scorch and give an off taste in the bark.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I like 270ish better for L&S with no controller. Easier to maintain and same results, just a tad faster. As above, don't sweat small swings. +/-25 is no big deal to me. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And full props for manually maintaining your described temperature range for the duration of the cook.  BGE's tend to find a low&slow sweet sport in the 240-270*F range on the dome.  Much easier manual temperature control in that band.  You can do 225*F and it may hold one cook and be quite a challenge the next one.  The slightly higher temp has no impact on the final flavor profile.  
    That said, the XL may be better at the lower temps due to the increased mass.  
    Regardless, relax and have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.