Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Tacos

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Pretty basic, but I tried a technique on my XL I hadn't before, 2-zone cooking.

I dry brined some boneless skinless chicken breasts this afternoon, then pounded them flat and hit them with Dizzy Pig Fajita-ish.

On the indirect side of the XL at 325* dome

After about 45 minutes or so they were approaching 160* and I moved to the direct side to finish them.

Flipped and turned a few times until they were finished, then toasted the tortillas.

Finished:

Got some nice char on them.

Sliced, nice and juicy.

And a plated pic before I dug in.

In summary, it worked just fine. I've been a doubter of 2-zone cooking on the egg, but the XL seems to have enough surface area to handle a cook like this, just not much larger.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    OMG those look fantastic. I love the Fajitish rub. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    Good looking breasts!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Those look fantastic. After approximately a 9 month ban from SWMBO from purchasing rubs the law has been lifted and Fajitaish is at the top of my list.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother D. The ole Weber kettle really shines for 2 zone cooking. How did you like it on the egg? Worth the effort? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pretty basic....basically rocked it Dwayne!  I'll take 3 To-Go. :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You ever made homemade tortillas on the egg on CI?  I'll be trying this fairly soon myself. Can't beat a fresh homemade warm tortilla fresh off  CI. I figure making around 50-100 and freezing in portions. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look really good and I like the 2 zone set up.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Ya I'll take a couple to go please. Nice and fresh looking 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Not bad at all!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Awesome!  Was it worth the effort?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Great idea splitting the zone and the chicken tacos look killer! 
    I use my XL more often than L, even for small cooks.  With a DIY lump reducing ring and extender-raised grid, I have three zones at my disposal at the same time - direct, indirect and raised direct.
    canuckland
  • DMW
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys.

@SGH @Dyal_SC - Compared to starting with the platesetter in and then pulling it to finish direct, not sure this is less effort. But my platesetter is cracked and in my truck to take by my dealer this week. So I would have had to go get it and then take it back after it cooled off tomorrow. So tonight, this was way easier. :wink: 

@johnkitchens - Fajita-ish is my go to for anything Mexican style, hits the spot and it's not too spicy for kids or my wife. @Scottborsajr - You won't be sorry.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options

You ever made homemade tortillas on the egg on CI?  I'll be trying this fairly soon myself. Can't beat a fresh homemade warm tortilla fresh off  CI. I figure making around 50-100 and freezing in portions. 
    @NPHuskerFL - nope, I've never made fresh tortillas, that sounds great.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am a big fan of Fajitaish on my protein for tacos or fajitas but will mix a common fajita mix of spices and add to the veggies while the are in the CI.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Looks great! 
    Glad to see fire bricks in the XL creating the zone cook. It's so easy and economical. You can pinch the lump down as much as necessary. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I would destroy a couple of those right about now, they look tasty!
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dwayne, if it weren't for the fact that we're friends outside of this forum I'd make up some clever compliment about how those pounded breasts look fabulous.  But I won't.  Everything looks great my brother.
    Before I got my MM I was using firebricks to create a dual zone on my XL. Especially for small cooks during the week.
    1. to use less lump
    2. to have a dual zone

Good cook D. Looks great!

D, does your WM have the uncooked flour tortillas? They have them at the one in Exeter. They are very good. I think they are Tortilla Land brand.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    making me hungrier by the minute looking at those tacos!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • dinneralahodgson
    Options
    Fantastic cook - well done.
    Atlanta, GA
    GATA!
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Once again....nothing short of amazing. Nice work! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2