Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting table idea

Options
Would any of ya'll try something like this for a egg table?  I realize it'd be a great deal of scrapping the interior of the cooler unit, but being an Atlanta native, I'm really thinking about it!!!!

What do you all think??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Great idea in my book 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Oh hell ya! Your probably gonna want to position your egg far right (just like my politics ...lol) as to not interfere with the Coke logo.

I think I might want to rebuild the insides on the left to keep it as a refrigerator for drinks and such. Then make a custom top to keep it looking original.

Sounds like a really fun project .. wish I lived closer to you, this is right up my alley.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Would be a cool idea. But you could probably sell that cooler to a collector for a pretty penny. Loses all the value once you cut it up.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've seen this somewhere before. It turned out pretty cool.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Don't have the cooler just yet.  Its at a buddy's place just sitting in a storage locker.....  Its the exact same as this one.

This definitely has me interested.  Might have to find a good metal shop somewhere nearby!!!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    I have a cooler like this, except it is white with an RC Cola logo on it.  Any idea what they are worth?  I am thinking about selling mine.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Would any of ya'll try something like this for a egg table?  I realize it'd be a great deal of scrapping the interior of the cooler unit, but being an Atlanta native, I'm really thinking about it!!!!

What do you all think??

Heck yeah!  I think that would look really cool on the right patio (like mine).  

I think I'd take the skin off and build a new subframe to suit your storage and support needs - then re-skin to look like the original.

Hmmm. I wonder if Crown Royal ever made coolers....

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Absolutely!!  Too cool!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @BigGreenCraig i think this might be the one you are thinking of 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Damn, @McStew, now I realize that I've seen that table a few years back before I had my egg.  Looks like they made a new inner frame and skinned it with the Coke stuff.  The integrated bottle opener can cap catcher has me jealous!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I have a cooler like this, except it is white with an RC Cola logo on it.  Any idea what they are worth?  I am thinking about selling mine.
    It all depends on condition.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @DaveRichardson yah it looks like you will need to make some kind of inner frame but good luck.  I will have my eye on this 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Also depends on what my lovely wife has for input.  I don't think I'll be asking this weekend...  Celebrating our 17th Anniversary this weekend!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    McStew said:
    @BigGreenCraig i think this might be the one you are thinking of 

That's the one that I saw. Pretty cool and definitely unique. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Also depends on what my lovely wife has for input.  I don't think I'll be asking this weekend...  Celebrating our 17th Anniversary this weekend!
    NO Dave, this is the BEST moment to ask her, try this ..'Honey, you want me to be happy don't you?' ... lol
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Cool idea.

I've also seen people make the stand up soda machines into gun safes.  Not only are they tough and heavy, but the art of deception is working for you as well.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Here's my only question. Does the pictured cooler still hold temp or otherwise function normal?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Here's my only question. Does the pictured cooler still hold temp or otherwise function normal?
    sniff sniff sniff -  do I smell an offer to buy in the making? ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dave- I'd be real interested in that cooler if you're not. And yeah I agree I'd take the skin off and make my own subframe. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    RRP said:
    sniff sniff sniff -  do I smell an offer to buy in the making? ;)
    Ron. No Sir. My suggestion would be to utilize the cooler and incorporate into a table with no mods to the cooler but extend with materials to match the cooler's nostalgic look.  Best of both worlds. Just my 2¢
    And ya I might make an offering :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Jeremiah - to the best of my knowledge, the cooler section does not work.  I'll check and see what he's looking for it, if you'd like!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Jeremiah - to the best of my knowledge, the cooler section does not work.  I'll check and see what he's looking for it, if you'd like!
    @NPHuskerFL, do you repair coolers too and travel for work?  Dave may need some help with this.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @DaveRichardson any update?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    sorry, @jeremiah, rough day in medicine yesterday and today.  Must reboot myself, I'm frickin' exhausted after these past 2 days!

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Ladeback69 Yes to both. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jimithing
    Options
    Man that door in the bottom right side really makes me think of turning that into a smoker instead of using it as an egg table.  I've got no idea what those things are made of on the inside so maybe that's not a safe idea but that would really look cool with a smokestack and sliding those doors to get meat in and out.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I know this post is a month old, but go for it!  
    The older Coca-Cola machines go for top dollar, not sure about the value of a 1970s-1980s (going by logo) "Coke" cooler in that condition?  

Most antiques, you don't want to mess with.  I think you have the perfect one to do just that, mess with it in a good way.

A little dust, a little rust, faded, scratched.....right up my alley.  Someday I plan to build a nice sized "smokeshack" with that very theme...."seasoned".   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    OK, I've reboted myself....

the twin for this is sitting in a storage facility with about 5 other similar machines.  All have been stripped of internal cooling components, so restoring to a cooler is out.

The plan is, once I have time, to skin this beast and build a steel tube frame inside for the egg and skin it with the coke panels.

Might take a while to get it started.  Definitely like the patina of the old machine.  Gloss coat to save that.  Will go with a Solid surface top.

I do like the smoker idea of that @jimithing mentioned.  I might do that with another coke cooler.