Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean-Southern Ribs

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
I tried a new rib recipe today, and it was really good, "Korean-Southern Ribs."  I had thought I'd overcooked my last couple of rib cooks, but I overcompensated a little -- these were completely cooked, and really good, but had a little more of a bite than I prefer.  I guess I'm more of a fall off the bone kinda guy, even though I gather that's not what the experts like.

Anyway, a Korean chili paste called gochujang is the main flavoring, and these were really good.  A little more heat than I had been expecting, but really, just about right.

First you slather on the gochujang, much the way many people slather on yellow mustard, but unlike the mustard, this very definitely flavors the ribs.

Then the "Georgia Rub," which was a pretty normal rub except that it had Korean red pepper flakes in it.

Then I smoked them around 200-230 for about 5 hours, I think, and when I picked them up, I thought they bent pretty well, but it wasn't 90 degrees, so another time I'll cook ribs longer.  I brushed on the "Heirloom Market Korean BBQ Sauce" and let it set for the last half hour, and I raised the temp to 250 or so.

Comments

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Those look fantastic. Nice job.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Very cool.  How was the heat on these in the end - spicy?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Smokehouse33
    Options
    Looks delicious!
  • Theophan
    Options
    Very cool.  How was the heat on these in the end - spicy?
    Spicy, made your mouth tingle, but not super hot.  A bite or two hardly seemed hot at all, but after several ribs, some pleasant heat.  My wife can't handle very hot food, and I asked her if she was OK, and she said she was.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Neat! I'm wondering about the heat level too... may be not since Korean BBQ sauce by itself is typically not spicy?
    edit: never mind, just read the sauce recipe, unlike typical Korean bbq sauce, it's loaded with heat!
    Thanks OP, bookmarked!
    canuckland
  • Theophan
    Options
    I'm new to gochujang, have only tried one kind, but I think there are hotter ones and less hot ones.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking ribs for sure my friend :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments!

One more attempt to address the heat level:  It's hard to describe, of course, but especially regarding @Canugghead's comment, no, I wouldn't say it's loaded with heat.  It made our mouths tingle, yes, and different people have different levels of comfort with heat.  To me, there's "spicy" that doesn't really burn at all, there's mild burning, medium burning, and whole lotta burning.  I used to make a Southwestern style chili that was really hot, and by that I mean that it made you sweat it was so hot.  Your mouth was on fire, and without using unpleasant language, sometimes later in the digestive process one experienced the heat again -- let the reader understand.  :)  That stuff was hot.  And really delicious.

My wife can't handle that kind of heat anymore, so I don't make things that hot.  This Korean-Southern Rib recipe wasn't anywhere near that hot.  It was hot enough that after a few ribs you could feel some burning in your mouth and tongue, but it wasn't a lot.  To some people, any feeling of burning feels "HOT" -- "my mouth is burning!"  So to them, these ribs would be hot.  But to people who like really hot food, this would have been quite mild, really.  Hope that helps.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    These look really great. I'll try this on my next rib cook. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Heirloom Market BBQ is one of the best in Atlanta.  I don't get that magazine anymore but will have to try this one out.  Bookmarked.  Thanks!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying with details.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Theophan said: they bent pretty well, but it wasn't 90 degrees, so another time I'll cook ribs longer.

Great looking ribs and write-up.  Regarding checking for the rib "doneness" I use a toothpick in the thickest part of the meat.  No resistance and you are there.  I have better luck with that than the bend test.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Theophan said: they bent pretty well, but it wasn't 90 degrees, so another time I'll cook ribs longer.

Great looking ribs and write-up.  Regarding checking for the rib "doneness" I use a toothpick in the thickest part of the meat.  No resistance and you are there.  I have better luck with that than the bend test.  FWIW-

I'll definitely try that, thanks!  I've been scratching my head on how to tell when they're done if I ever cut racks in half, because the "bend test" won't work on half racks.  If this works on racks, it ought to work on half-racks too!

Thanks again!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Those sound rediculously awesome!!!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very cool cook & nice post . . . I will keep my eyes peeled for some gochujang.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice, those look great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I just stick the Thermapen in a thick part of the meat and not touching a bone. If it's 200+° it's done.
    Judy in San Diego
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Another in a long line of excellent cooks. Nice work.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I really like the Gochujang...it has heat, but balanced with great flavor.   Ribs look delicious & I’m going to add this to my list of cooks to try.  Thanks for sharing.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen