Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hour 18 and temp dropping

Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help![p]I am running my first GURU cook and I think I am running out of
Lump inside.
My GURU fan is running all the time and it has dropped from 225 to 200. My meat temp is about 180.
Should I fill the egg again and foil the Pork shoulders?[p]
thanks

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Sparky,[p]It sounds like you are out of the plateau, so you could finish in the oven at 250° in a pan with a rack, or you could foil and finish in the oven too.[p]At 18 hours, you most likely have a good bark so the last few hours will just be for pullability.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sparky
    [img]C:BBQIMG_1775.JPG, C:BBQIMG_1774.JPG[/img]
    <p />Well here's what it looks like inside.
    Had a few samples from the grill. Had to fight off my wife after she had a taste. I put them in foil and put some new lump in and away we go. It looks like temp may have been 170. That's what GURU shows now.( I put it back in thru the foil.

• Sparky
    [img]C:BBQIMG_1774.JPG[/img]
    <p />Pic
  • Sparky,
    possibly you are in the ramp mode, a feature of the guru where the pit temps slowly become closer to the temp you set for the meat, as the meat reaches its temp setting. its kind of a meet in the middle type situation.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Sparky,
    you are outta fuel

• Sparky
    Don Sparks,
    I was outa fuel. I opened up the Egg and only 10 small lumps were left unlit. I foil wrapped the shoulders and refilled with some lump I lit in another grill.
    Put it all back and waited till they were at 200.
    Man does my wife like the GURU. Now she knows I will make it more often. She was all over me when I started to pull it apart. I'm using a sauce from Dr BBQ's book.(yum!)
    Thank You Dr. BBQ. Total cook time 22 hours for 15 lbs.[p]Thanks for all the help everybody.