Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen where have you been all my life????

Options
Thanks to @Chubbsfor pointing out the sale on Thermapens, received mine last week and tried her out Sunday for my weekly chicken cooks. Wonderful super fast temp reading made for the juiciest chicken breasts yet.  Bam! Only question is why in the hell did I wait so long????? I can't advise strongly enough, it's worth the money. I can't remember the brand I used before but it would take a very long time to settle on temp. I almost always ended up overcooking a bit more than I cared to. 
Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    that looks great brother
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    My Thermapen has up'd my game as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • S.Newcomb76
    Options
    Loved my thermapen so much I had to replace mine when it broke after many years of use. But that lava tools javelin pro thermometer that I saw on a thread here has me rethinking. http://lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree it is something everyone should have.  I am actually glad to see there is some competition out there now though.  I might try one of these other $20-$30 brands and do a head to head.  

The switch (built into the open/closing mechanism) is a bit touch on mine.  I have to open/close it several times to get it to turn on.  That is my only complaint.  It has been this way for a couple of years and hasn't totally failed on me yet.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• S.Newcomb76
    Options

The switch (built into the open/closing mechanism) is a bit touch on mine.  I have to open/close it several times to get it to turn on.  That is my only complaint.  It has been this way for a couple of years and hasn't totally failed on me yet.   
    Yea mine did that then totally failed. I took it apart and one of the contacts was broke so I just replaced it. I figured after 6-7 years j got my money's worth. Plus the backlight mine didn't have. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mine is almost three years old, and I have noticed the same problem. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I hate cooking without my thermapen. So much so, that when a buddy invites me over to help him cook on the grill, I go ahead and take my thermapen with me.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Options
    I just bought one for the $69 as well.  I had previously purchased one of the BGE brand insta reads.  This Thermapen is way better.  I may sell my BGE one on ebay.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great cook.  And real great Thermopen !!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thermapen seemed expensive. But then so did the Egg. Got a thermapen and soon wondered how I did w/o. My wife came to rely on it for safe microwave cooking. I freaked when it started to give bizarre readings after a few years. Then realized it was just the battery dieing! 7 years and counting of excellent service. As the phrase goes, worth every penny.
  • S.Newcomb76
    Options
    No doubt it's worth every penny but it also has no real competition. I just can't get the lava tools one out of my head. I may have to have both one day.
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I used mine for the first time today.Best exsessory that i've bought so far.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I cooked a pork tenderloin last night that was so tender and jiggly. I didn't think it was done but the ol thermapen disagreed. I would have way over cooked it otherwise. 
    NW IOWA
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Options
    Thermapen is the best thing to happen to my grilling. SWMBO always liked everything super well done. Basically that means that I had to get it dried out so she would know it was done. Now I cook to temperature and everything is moist and tender. Nobody should grill without one. 
    Gulf Coast FL