Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Country Shrimp Boil

We hosted a shrimp boil this weekend and it was a huge success!

First time ever cooking for 30 people and we thought that we might not have enough food but it was the complete opposite:

15 lbs of head on shrimp flown in from LA
12 lbs baby red potatoes
30 ears of corn
12 lbs of sausage

Already planning next years!

Comments

• How did you season it? I did one recently for about 15 people and am always looking for ways to improve.

I put a handful of salt, an onion, and 2 "boil in a bag" packets in.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Sounds great! Not really sure everyone will believe it really happened though due to the lack of pictures!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2015
    One of my favorites. I normally figure about 6-8 ounces of protein per person....that takes into account that you have some females in the population.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
     I normally figure about 6-8 ounces of protein per person....
    I would starve to death on that amount ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    SGH said:
     I normally figure about 6-8 ounces of protein per person....
    I would starve to death on that amount ;)
    Me too.....but you don't find the ladies eating more than about 4-5 ounces.....which leaves some extra for us fat boys!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    northGAcock said:
    which leaves some extra for us fat boys!
    I'm always looking out for the fat boys ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Try adding old bay sea food boil and about a half dozen lemons cut in to half with a half dozen good sized yellow onions cut up and thrown ln the pot.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I use a mixture of Old Bay and the Zaterain's liquid..............with cut lemons and about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar. I love boils!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    SGH said:
    northGAcock said:
    which leaves some extra for us fat boys!
    I'm always looking out for the fat boys ;)
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cooking some extra....I love the left over shrimp.....I make a mean shrimp salad if I do say so myself. A big wad of Shrimp salad on top of a quartered garden damater......with some fresh Lima beans....and a roll. Good napping after that.