Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full plate SGH!!! first Sous Vided meal, winner winner

Options
A lot of press about SV so...... I decided to get my feet wet and bought one, ANOVA.  This is my first try using a Prime Rib Eye that I've done caveman many times.  Well I have to say this is a winner.  Very easy to get perfect, set the SV and forget 130 degrees for 3 hours, easy to get great char in a cast iron pan on a 600 degree GBE fire. 

Sides were home grown tomatos, smoked ( on GBE) beets, and collards with ham (twice smoked on BGE).

The texture of the beef was perfect, you could cut it with a fork no knife needed.

Note: I could not believe the lack of overcooked meat on the surface, that any other method produces.
NEPA, Med egg,

Comments

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    That looks excellent, nice job
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is my kind of meal. Brother, that is a fine looking pile of grub right there. That steak is money in the bank. Outstanding cook my friend. It almost goes without saying:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nicely done!  Looks delicious.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    Options
    I have heard some folks offer different thoughts on SV and steak. Some say that they prefer ribeyes just grilled as opposed to the SV. Others say that steaks like strips and Tbones benefit greatly from SV. The only experience that I have with SV is some tritip that Grimguy cooked. It was excellent to say the least. Curious to hear your thoughts on SV steaks as you try more and more of them. Again, great looking plate above my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• flyer_egger
    Options
    This being my first try it could be out of the norm, but it was as good as any I've done caveman style.  It has such a wide useful time at correct temp, 2 to 4 hours at exact serving temp, without overcooking. It makes doing all other jobs, prep, sides, imbibing easier. I have other steaks cut from the same loin so that eleminates one variable when making a comparision. I'm looking forward to my next try.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • SGH
    Options
    @flyer_egger  I'm about to dive head first into SV myself. 

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Thank's for the post, I'm very new to the "EGG" June2015, but SV looks really interesting. Have to give it a try soon!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Nice work, and welcome to the club.  I've done a few steaks SV too and completely agree with you.  That edge to edge pink is very hard to get any other way.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    I've done a few steaks 
    Do you prefer all steaks to be SV'd or just certain ones? I ask because I have seen numerous different opinions on this. Just curious as to your opinion brother in Carolina. 

Status- Standing by.

• kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    That looks to be cooked perfect. I have one of the Sansaire immersion circulator's that  I have been using for a few months. The thing my family likes about it the most is that i can get steaks done a perfect medium rare by cooking to 130 SV and then searing on the egg... the most tender cuts of meat, tenderloin, rib eye, and NY Strip only take about 90 minutes SV to be ready to grill, too long and the meat will get mushy, and have unpleasant texture. SV is pretty forgiving, its not always exact, but you learn with experience. the tougher/leaner cuts can cook longer, i have done Flat Iron steaks for 4 hours, Tri Tip steaks for 8 hours, and did some boneless beef chuck short ribs that i got at costco ( these were well marbled ) for 12 hours. one of the best pieces of meat I have done on the egg was a 2" thick chuck roast. Cooked SV for 56 hours at 135 degrees, then seared on the egg and served. normally when cooking a pot roast you braise it, the heat from the liquid breaks down the collagen, but it also melts the fat. Cooking it SV at 135, the Collagen breaks down, but the fat doesn't melt, you end up with a moist, tender, medium rare chuck roast, that just melts in your mouth. As expensive as proteins are getting, cooking with SV allows you to use a less expensive cut of meat, and get excellent results. It will also allow you to cook and expensive cut and get the best results, with out a lot of effort.
  • flyer_egger
    Options
    very good info Kirkiver......thanks

I did it 130 apr 3 hours and it was perfect, texture and taste both.  The last two caveman cooks with the same meat were much less tender.  When cooked the SV'ed steak shrank much less too.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Steaks look good, How long would you cook it if you wanted it medium well? 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    medium well is 149 to 156 aprox. so for SV i would cook to 140, then sear to achieve just about 149... shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes each side to sear... allow to rest a couple of minutes and serve... if you find that is too done, just reduce the SV temp 2 or 3 degrees... 
    When doing steak SV, you will get a nice sear on the outside, but the meat is a consistent temp/color thru the thickness of the steak, just like in the picture at top of post. with a little practice you will be able to produce consistent results that will impress your family and friends...
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks @kirkiver. I have been on the fence about purchasing one. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very impressive meal @flyer_egger. :clap: 

@ScottNC, welcome. Be careful on what threads you open. This place will have dollars flying out of your wallet. SV, pizza ovens, accessories, additional eggs, and the list goes on. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @ScottNC, welcome. Be careful on what threads you open. This place will have dollars flying out of your wallet. SV, pizza ovens, accessories, additional eggs, and the list goes on. 
    Brother Stem, truer words have never been spoken. You called that right on the money. 

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @flyer_egger   That whole plate looks pretty amazing, but the steak - just wow.
    Phoenix