Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden Voyage

Options
This morning my wife mentioned going to the farmers market and since I had never seen it, decided to go.  Been a great year for growing anything desirable and could have spent a fortune.   There were several meat vendors and I bought some buffalo patties to try as well as some brats that looked too good to pass up.  Lots of organic stuff.  Have wanted to try the bison for a long time and one of the guys has anything you would want- rib eyes, roasts, the works.  Any suggestions on cooking bison ?  Heard it is lean.
  1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I order bison porterhouses every now and then. It's VERY lean. I usually cook them hot and fast for a good sear and medium rare inside. They take marinades well, but don't let them marinade too long in any kind of citrus base - it will start cooking the meat and it will be rubbery coming off of the grill.

They taste great.

Now I want to order some more......... :)  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @SGH, more proof that the buffalo is alive and well!! Well obviously they're not all alive,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm late to the party but hot n fast works great on the patties.  I think my last ones I did a 600 raised, first side 1- 1 1/2 mins and bout 1/2 that on the second side.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Had the bison patties tonight and they were very good.  Mighty lean.  Opened up conversation about grass fed beef, so we looked up the benefits.  Wow, since owning the egg, I am cooking beef 2 or 3 nights and pork and chicken the rest of the time.  Anyone eating more grass fed for the health benefits ?
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Freight House?

It's awesome. and hittin' on all cylinders right now.  

Registered for a pretty cool gig Sept 13th called The Culinary Ride, by RadTour(Deutsch for bicycle ride).  Focal point seems like it will be around there.  They started doing these rides in IA City a few years back to feature/promote local farms, chefs, and ingredients.    

Mission: Bicycle Local Farms, Food & Fermentation

Registration includes a free titanium spork to carry.  The QC one is only 20 miles, some gravel.  Bringing the MTB for this one, will be fun!  Bent River and Front Street are on our list of stops as well =)

http://radtour.us/about/

http://radtour.us/about/rockstars/
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."