Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Sockeye & Mashed Potatoes with Grilled Asparagus & Mushrooms

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Seems like lately Sundays are the only time I have a chance to egg. Picked up some wild sockeye salmon at Costco yesterday.

Set the XL up 375* raised direct.

A nice coating of Dizzy Pig Raging River on the salmon and pats of butter on the mashed potatoes.

After about 10 minutes I added the asparagus and mushrooms, both with EVOO and Dizzy Pig Shakin' The Tree.

Finished:

Plated

Looks like I'll be around a bit more this week, might be able to sneak a mid-week cook in if things go as planned.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Smokehouse33
    Options
    Beautiful cook! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I surrender, you win :bow: :bow: :bow: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Brother D, I'm stating to think that you are a professional chef. It looks outstanding as always.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    What a home run cook! I've never seen mashed potatoes on the BGE before....great idea....and the mushrooms look amazing too. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• SGH
    Options
    Brother D, I'm fixing to throw on some more cayenne covered salmon. I steaked it up just to make cooking easier. However after seeing that big slab above in your pick, I'm wishing I would have left it whole for the visual affect. 

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Dewayne that looks great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it hit the spot.
    @SGH - I can assure you, I'm not a professional chef. I think one of the requirements to be considered a professional anything is receiving payment for services. I don't get paid to do this, but I sure wish I did. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
     I don't get paid to do this, but I sure wish I did. ;)
    As do I brother.  If I got paid to cook and eat I would be 700 pounds. 

Status- Standing by.

• coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    @DMW, great looking photos of the cook, those look like cookbook quality pics.  Ive never seen mashed potato like that on the BGE, I learned something new!  Thanks for sharing.
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    BTW, I think Costco buyers get first pick for the major wild or farmed salmon  which is why most of the time you can get better than restaurant quality salmon there.  Same for Pineapples from Hawaii :-)
  • DMW
    Options
    coooltroy said:
    BTW, I think Costco buyers get first pick for the major wild or farmed salmon  which is why most of the time you can get better than restaurant quality salmon there.  Same for Pineapples from Hawaii :-)
    @Cooltroy - I didn't know that, it's practically the only place around here I can find wild sockeye, so that makes sense.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    great cook!  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good eats right there

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Brilliant!

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That all looks great, but I think I could eat a pound of those mushrooms.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice, I'm sure they tasted as good as they look.Love the clips.
    canuckland