Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch chilies

Options
13»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Here's a fun question :smiley: . So you have some fresh chile grown in Hatch, NM & the others which are the same variety were grown in Española and Taos. Would they all be considered Hatch or Anaheim? 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  That's how it started for us. We used to buy all we needed. Then SWMBO decided she wanted a bigger garden and wanted me to be involved with the gardening. I wanted more than just an expanded patch of dirt and I wasn't willing to take up gardening unless, one, I could grow something I enjoyed. And two, it would amount to more than a few snackables over a few weekends. We compromised and the chile farm was in operation. We generally only plant heavy one season and go light the following year. That gives us the opportunity to rotate the crops a bit and replenish the soil. Last year we did 150 Big Jim plants, this season only 14. I thought the massive amount would carry us through two years. I was wrong. Out of 210 bags of 10 chiles each we have 15 left. We won't make it until next year. :o
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good question @NPHuskerFL
    I don't know.

Chili in the house.
    My friend, who I give raw honey, smoked cheese & smoked nuts to, bought a roasted sack and gave to me to even up. So now I have twice as much chili. I'll pass some to neighbors. Will post a pic in a minute.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Durangler The answer is... unless it comes out of Hatch soil it is  called Anaheim. At least that's the explanation I got when I was purchasing from a plant I do business with. There is some interesting history that goes with Hatch Chile. One thing is for sure... We love it. :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Durangler
    Options
    Makes perfect sense @NPHuskerFL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    ahhhh  I was thinking mine just look and smell like Anaheims or Cubanelle

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Durangler
    Options
    I'll get another pic posted when I'm done bagging. Need a cocktail..... =)
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    Anaheim's are a variety of New Mexico Chile just as are Big Jims, Sandia, NewMex 4-6 and so on. Hatch refers to a region where they are grown. It is true one can't grow a true Hatch chile in any other region but they will grow in many other places. I grow Big Jims. The Big Jim variety was developed by Jim Lytle of Hatch New Mexico. I ordered the seed direct from the Lytle family. Now, I'm not in Hatch but I'm growing the same chile. Is there a difference? Probably. Soil type, Ph level, nutrient levels and climate etc... All play a role as well as how much moisture and when it received. All I know is they are far better than the typical Anaheim found in the local grocery.
  • Durangler
    Options
    Into the freezer they go. 7 bricks. 6 bags per brick. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    Anaheim's are a variety of New Mexico Chile just as are Big Jims, Sandia, NewMex 4-6 and so on. Hatch refers to a region where they are grown. It is true one can't grow a true Hatch chile in any other region but they will grow in many other places. I grow Big Jims. The Big Jim variety was developed by Jim Lytle of Hatch New Mexico. I ordered the seed direct from the Lytle family. Now, I'm not in Hatch but I'm growing the same chile. Is there a difference? Probably. Soil type, Ph level, nutrient levels and climate etc... All play a role as well as how much moisture and when it received. All I know is they are far better than the typical Anaheim found in the local grocery.
    ^ This.
    "Hatch" chile is grown in Hatch, NM, just like "true" champagne is only grown in the  Champagne region of France, even though the grapes and bottling methods are done across the globe.  
    I'm sure the Terriore (hah!) in Hatch has an effect on the taste of the chiles; after living in Albuquerque for five years I also know the weather patterns of any given growing season has a huge effect on the chile's taste.  
    Like Chili, brisket, apples, barbeque sauces, etc there will always be arguments as to which is "best"; we'll never know, but it gives us something to do!  =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thank you all for turning me on to Hatch chilies.  

Picked some up today for .88/lb.  Roasted them and made a philly cheesteak.  Doesn't look like much, but man was this tasty with the chilies.

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I might be missing something.

Hatch chiles arrived at HEB. I bought some of the hot ones. Ate one raw with a brisket taco sort of thing that I made for lunch - the first half tasted like a bell pepper, with a little heat when I got to the seeds and pith. Does the flavor or heat intensify after roasting. I like chiles with more heat in them, so maybe this isn't my thang? I'll roast what I have and see what I think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Options
    Read a short blurb in the newspaper this morning, Whole Foods has dropped Hatch and is now offering "Pueblo" chiles (which I haven't heard of).  FWIW.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    The season is almost here. If you haven't tried these... I would recommend it. It takes a while on the egg but roast them with smoke. I used hickory last year and a friend that grew up in NM said they were the best he'd had. Don't be hesitant to go heavy on the smoke either. I've got 100 lbs in the bullpen. 
    Roast and pull the skin, wrap in paper towels in a baggie or paper bag, peel and freeze. Unbelievable in chili or on burgers... Or about anything. 
    @henapple  I am not the spelling police here....but they get awfully pissed off out there if you don't spell it with and e ....Chile. Now I am a bit more on the lazy side of roasting my own. I order prepared Hatch Valley Fire Roasted Chile's from 505 Chile. D@mn good products. 

There red chile sauce is outstanding over Breakfast Burritos  & Enchiladas....My favorite however is the Fire Roasted Green Chile. I make a Green Chile Chicken  stew that will warm you up in the colder months. I slow roast the Chicken on the egg, pull it and build the stew from there. Back on in an uncovered dutch oven. Check out the 505 poducts.....I do not work or have affiliation with them. ......but love the products.  http://505chile.com/
    You nailed it. Chili is from Texas made with beans and meat , chile is the delicious pepper from Hatch NM

and believe me they will tell you about it here lol 

my favorite time of year here in Albuquerque starting to smell the chile roasting and will really gear up in the next week or two 

we usually get our chile the second week of sept usually two bags   About 30lbs each 

there are several places you can order online just check around for the best prices.  ( Google HATCH green chile )  To give you an idea what a local pays its usually about $30-$35 a bag roasted 

My ups store here by my house even ships chile 

if it's something you've never smelled either get to NM in September or October or order some fresh chile and roast them yourself on your egg it's amazing 

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    Just brought these back fresh from Taos. Not too worse for wear after the long plane ride. 1/4 bushel was $7, figured that would be the most I could carry with me on the plane. Any advice on preserving these? Can I freeze them?

We buy 60 lbs or so a year have them roasted and bag them into freezer bags 6-10 a bag depending on size 

I don't personally peel them before bagging after they are roasted they are put into a clear plastic trash bag and we will take them home leave them in the bag for an hour to steam them in the  bag 

my personal opinion is that they keep better flavor leaving the skin on but everyone has their own way 

when I want to use a bag I'll put it on a plate microwave for 5 min or so let sit for a few them peel them and rinse any excess skins off 

and no problem freezing them we still have some from last fall in the freezer and they are still fantastic 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here's a fun question :smiley: . So you have some fresh chile grown in Hatch, NM & the others which are the same variety were grown in Española and Taos. Would they all be considered Hatch or Anaheim? 
    They are still NM chile but only chile grown in Hatch is Authentic Hatch green chile 

Anaheim from what I have learned is a little different chile although appear to look alike 

Never had an Anaheim that has the heat that hot Hatch chile has 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options

Botch said:
    Read a short blurb in the newspaper this morning, Whole Foods has dropped Hatch and is now offering "Pueblo" chiles (which I haven't heard of).  FWIW.  
    Could very well be Colorado chile. They won't sell much here if it isn't Hatch 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    That was a mistake and Whole Foods has since made a public announcement in correction. The only place the pueblos will be replacing the Hatch, will be in Colorado. 
    All other stores will carry Hatch from NM.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm looking forward to being in Albequerque (Rio Rancho actually) in September and possibly picking up a bushel of these things to send home.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Botch
    Options
    Thanks Aviator!