Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kickash basket

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
First cook with the kickash  basket. Need a new way to clean  my egg.  
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Is the extra convenience really worth 72 bucks?  I'm not seeing it. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • g37
    Options
    I'll  let u know. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I like mine in the LBGE..  I've wasted more $ on less convenience. Lol.  Saves me some time and I sense I molest the good residual lump less than stirring it.  and my firebox vent holes are less clogged.   Being able to delete my firegrate improved my airflow as well.  I think it allows my temp controller do its thing easier but that might just be my wishful thinking.   It does SEEM to have less variation since I added the kab. 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • g37
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My old shop vac crapped out. I bought another shop vac but it blew the ash out  the exhaust  port every time I used it so I returned  it.  I figured  y not give  the basket  a whirl. Like u said we've  all wasted money on sillier stuff 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    g37 said:
    My old shop vac crapped out. I bought another shop vac but it blew the ash out  the exhaust  port every time I used it so I returned  it.  I figured  y not give  the basket  a whirl. Like u said we've  all wasted money on sillier stuff 
    That, and the horse has already left the barn.

It's sort of like buying a Bentley and worrying about the price of premium fuel.

Phoenix 
  • g37
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Or its like adding sum bling to your Bentley.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $45 for the MM version its cute and all....id go high que first imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People are paying  $150 for a brisket! One of the cheapest cuts known to man! KAB all day long!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • g37
    Options
    @WeberWho? So true i never gave  much  thought about  the cost  of beef especially  where I live. Hey as long as it's something  we enjoy in a positive  way y not indulge.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    g37 said:
    Buy an ash vacuum
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I don't really care about the cleanup aspect myself, it's a bonus. I love the added air flow and the protection of the side air holes in the firebox. Not even a hint of an issue with air flow or clogged holes since going to the KAB. It's a winner. Of course, like all aftermarket products, it's not a necessity. None of the many brilliant upgrades are necessary, but many of them do make your experience better. 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    I like mine in the LBGE..  I've wasted more $ on less convenience. Lol.  Saves me some time and I sense I molest the good residual lump less than stirring it.  and my firebox vent holes are less clogged.   Being able to delete my firegrate improved my airflow as well.  I think it allows my temp controller do its thing easier but that might just be my wishful thinking.   It does SEEM to have less variation since I added the kab. 
    Well said, I agree 100%. I can get up to pizza temp in half the time and it is much easier for me to keep the temp stable.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I have one in my mini max. It works nice when I need to pull out the burning lump before travelling.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2015
    Options
    g37 said:
    Buy an ash vacuum
    I have a small Craftsman shop vac with the fine ash filter. Smallest I could find that accepts the filter. Works perfectly for cleaning up the excess ash in a snap once I take the KAB out and give it a shake. Also good for vacuuming the floor around the egg (yeah, I can be messy).

Hint: don't try to use it as a blower after you have vacuumed ash. Don't ask me how I know that.  :o
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I have one in my mini max. It works nice when I need to pull out the burning lump before travelling.
    Another brilliant unintended benefit. I had not even thought of this as I'm not a camper, but your comment points out a real problem solver. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I recently started using the KAB after years of using the Turbo Grate, which no one here seems to like much.

All I can say is I'm giving it time to grow on me but so far I think the Turbo Grate is easier to use and a better fit for my large BGE. The basket doesn't seem to fit down inside the way I would like it to, and it leaves a space on the sides for small chunks to fall through.

It may be because of the way I use my egg. I like to fill my firebox up to the middle of the fire ring for every cook. That keeps things regular for me as far as temp and distance to my cooking grates. It also makes it difficult to use the KAB the way it is intended. You can't get to the handles to lift the basket, and if you could , the charcoal would just spill out.

I also have a lot more small pieces of charcoal falling thru using the basket, I had virtually none of that with the Turbo Grate. The small pieces are also the reason I stayed away from the Hi-Q rate. The KAB seemed to have a tighter grid which is why I went that route.

With the Turbo Grate all I do is tap and wiggle it to knock the ash out. Every so often I need to get rid of the small pieces that build up and will let it burn down after taking all the big pieces out. That keeps my egg fairly clean and I rarely need to do a clean burn.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Agree. The price is worse than the name. Just get a high que unless need for tailgating
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    IMHO, the question of worth is relative. What we all decide to pay for convenience is a personal choice. I like paying someone (convenience) to save me the 1.5 hrs to mow my lawn as well as the other lawn care activities (add another hr or so). I'll pay that price all day to give me more time to spend on the more enjoyable things in life, you know, like sitting outside enjoying a beverage and the "sweet" smell of my egg at work. The kick ash basket (catchy name if you ask me) has been an accessory I have been eyeing, and it sounds like some of you have enjoyed the convenience and the extra airflow it brings to the table.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just received mine I had ordered for the MM. I am going to try and do a complete cook for two this evening for it's maiden voyage. I bought this basket for two reasons: tailgating and camping. If it proves to be a viable option, and seems worth it, I will buy another for my XL.
    I will likely post later on the cook and specifically the performance of the KAB.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've had mine for about a year and a half. Love it! The kick ash basket is used for every cook. Easy to use, convenient, and worth the price. I have a LBGE and if I this KAB ever needed to be replaced, I would buy a new one. Each to his/her own opinion. 
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • g37
    Options
    I finally  got a chance  to clean out my egg after last night's cook. In my opinion  the basket is worth it.  With the basket removed  all I gotta  do is dust out the ash by hand into my 5 gallon bucket. No more dragging out my shop vac.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @g37 thank you for starting this discussion... it has inspired me to pull the trigger. I can't wait to receive my next eggsessory in the mail this week and put an end to the stirring before each cook and the occasional shop vac cleaning that is currently required.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • g37
    Options
    @bob.bud your welcome. I was skeptical  about the kickash basket  but it has a good return policy if I wasn't happy  with it I was gonna return it. After cleaning my egg today  I'm definitely  keeping  it. Simply  lift out and scrap out the ash by hand  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I too am concerned about the height of the handles. I keep my egg full of lump consistently above the firebox. If i end a cook and i am below the fire ring i fill it and let the vacs burn off before i shut it down. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I suggested in another KAB thread that the maker should consider an ET version ( extra tall).  Good engineering would leave it workable with woo/AR or platesetter.  

Of of course I wanted to drill holes in my egg to install fuel injectors for powered hourly
    Apple juice/apple cider spritzing of my frequent car wash mikes ribs.  Lol.  I would like to see it all plumbed up with hoses, temp probes etc.   

like an eeg setup or Young Frankenstein...  What knockers!   Thank you Herr Doctor!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I too am concerned about the height of the handles. I keep my egg full of lump consistently above the firebox. If i end a cook and i am below the fire ring i fill it and let the vacs burn off before i shut it down. 
    Just re-light..
    You can't cut off the air supply with the KAB. If you are worried about it just kind of move the lump around with your hand (top only) pretty sure the vibration would knock the ashes loose.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    @g37 thank you for starting this discussion... it has inspired me to pull the trigger. I can't wait to receive my next eggsessory in the mail this week and put an end to the stirring before each cook and the occasional shop vac cleaning that is currently required.

No shop vac required. I use one of these, though I don't believe I paid this much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Green-Egg-Ash-Tool/dp/B003E71Y06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440337064&sr=8-1&keywords=ash+tool+big+green+egg
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How does it work on an XL? For longer cooks especially in cold weather I load the lump above the fire ring.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

bob.bud said:

No shop vac required. I use one of these, though I don't believe I paid this much.
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Green-Egg-Ash-Tool/dp/B003E71Y06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440337064&sr=8-1&keywords=ash+tool+big+green+egg
    I love using the shop vac. So quick and easy. But if you want to use an ash tool, consider this one from CGS: http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/texas-size-ash-tool/
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com