Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Southern Fried Chicken and Fresh Local Brown Crowder Peas

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
edited August 2015 in Off Topic
Don't get no better ... :flushed: 

The only thing really "on topic" was the leftover pulled pork that I used to season the brown crowders.  :flushed: 

Tasted like my childhood.  ;)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lord have mercy, I could tear that up. Fried chicken is one of my very favorites. Awesome job brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Wowza.  Looks great. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dat food, doe. Unnnnnnnngh!!!!!
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Dyal_SC:  How did you coat the chicken before frying?  That crust looks outstanding!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Double coat?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Very nice. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    Drooling on my phone!  Looks awesome!
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Da bomb 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dyal_SC
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My secret...  Shhhhh... Don't tell anyone. ;)  

Dump about 2/3 flour to 1/3 Panko brand bread crumbs into a plastic bag.  Not sure of the quantity, just the dimensions.   Won't matter in the end.  Dump in some garlic salt with the flour mix.  Shake it up.  

Quarter up a whole chicken (breasts/wings together and the legs/thighs together).  

In a large bowl, whisk together 4 eggs along with a few splashes of hot sauce, one splash of water, and a squirt or two of ranch dressing.   Sounds weird, but the end flavor is awesome.  

One piece at a time, shake up 1/4 of the chicken in the flour mix....   Take it out and dip it in the spicy egg mixture until well coated.  Now reinsert that into the flour/crumb mixture and shake it until it's well coated in all nooks and crannies.  After thoroughly coating all pieces of the quartered chicken, remove them from the bag and place on a plate.  Place the plate of chicken into your freezer until you get a pan of canola oil up to a temp of 350-375 deg f.  You want the pan of oil to cover just halfway up the chicken pieces once they're placed inside.  

Once your oil is to temp, place your chicken into the oil carefully....  Cover the pan and fry the chicken for 5 minutes per side.... 10 total.  Uncover the pan and fry for 5 minutes more per side.....   20 minutes in all or until the chicken breasts hit 160 deg f internal and the legs/thighs hit 165-180ish f internal.   

If at any time the breading gets too dark, just reduce the burner temp to low and cover the pan.   Eyeball it.  Not rocket science at all.  ;)  When they're finished, place the chicken on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle on a little sea salt and crack pepper.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sitting at home watching a little Joe Bonamasa on the TV.....thinking about turning it off and heading over for some leftovers. Man some fried chic could hit the spot right now.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That chicken looks phenomenal. I wish I knew what crowders are... they look and sound tasty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    caliking said:
    That chicken looks phenomenal. I wish I knew what crowders are... they look and sound tasty.
    They are. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That is some beautiful chicken. We have a local farm that grows Clemson Colossus Crowder Peas and Christmas Speckled Butter Beans. We freeze them every year. That looks like great "comfort" food.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx y'all!  @Dredger , speckled butter beans are my favorite.  Heading to the state farmers market today to pick some up. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Now I need me some fried chicken :o
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Dyal_SC we got a Taylor Mini Pea Sheller to help with shelling fresh peas and beans. Hubby can blast through a bushel of beans or peas in about 45 minutes while I blanch and bag for freezing. Try to find the Christmas beans. They are twice the size of regular lima beans or speckled butter beans. Speckled will go nicely with country fried steak and mashed potatoes. I think I just decided what to prepare for dinner, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx @Dredger !  I hear you.  I shelled my fair share of beans and peas growing up.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Christmas beans.  They sound great!  
  • Dredger
    Options
    I shelled my fair share of beans and peas growing up.

Me too @Dyal_SC that's why got the sheller. A few years back, there seemed to be a crowder pea shortage and we couldn't get them in the frozen section at the grocery store, so we fixed that. A lot of farmer's markets sell the beans already shelled, but we prefer to know they are at peak freshness for freezing. We call our local farmer and tell them what day we want to pick them up and they pick them that morning and call when the workers bring them in from the field. Works out great.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nothing like some cold fried chicken the next day.....love the leftovers.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Looks better than Zestos.  Love it.  Nice job.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat