Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

People with outdoor kitchens

I plan on getting an outdoor kitchen in the next couple of years.  I want to have a built in gas grill, sink, fridge, side burner, and preferably a spot for my large egg.

For those of you that have outdoor kitchens:

1.  Did you build yourself, hire a contractor, or buy a modular unit?
2.  If DIY, is it concrete blocks, metal studs, or wood?
3.  If DIY, what is your level of handyman skills?

I'm torn as to what to do.  I'm no carpenter but have a couple of friends that are that I could maybe get to help.

This modular Masterforge unit from Lowes is cheap and has a lot of features, but I know it would last very long as it's made from cheap materials: http://www.lowes.com/images/htmlbanner/productimages3/15716_OutdoorKitchenBanner_d.jpg

There are some nice modular islands from brands like Bull.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    It very much depends on how much curb appeal you want or need. It also depends on if you have time and how much patience you have. If you are under pressure from wife and it needs to be purty then hire it done. If you like projects have time and a wife who doesn't care I would do it yourself. I would not rely on friends. They are usually busy and the times never line up. Plus you never get as much done as you plan. Outdoor kitchens come in a huge variety of styles. From under a shade tree to wet bars in pools
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Can't give you any advice but, I can tell you that an outdoor kitchen is definitely on my TDL. Going to have to wait until Mrs. TOTN and I relocate to the States... not sure I'd get as much use out of it up here with the long cold winters. My plan is to do (the majority) of the work myself.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Search this forum for tables, and you'll find tons of pictures.  Some of them look to me like they just stacked some sort of decorative blocks, quite different in shape than a cinder block, but as big or bigger.  They looked really cool, and it didn't look like they had to have any skills other than carrying and stacking.  I don't know if they had a foundation poured, but if you have time and are reasonably handy, you probably can save a pile of dough and do it yourself.  Maybe Lowe's or Home Depot has how-to books on building stuff like that.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504

Morning nth78:

I had mine done by a contractor (primarily because I didn't have time to do it myself)...the cabinet work was done by www.werever.com...they are located in Tampa, but ship anywhere...excellent craftsmanship and will work with you if there is anything "special" you want...I brought in a basic sketch of what I wanted and they worked out the design...it was finished in July 2006 and has stood up fantastically...good luck finding whatever works best for you!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    SSN686 said:

Morning nth78:

I had mine done by a contractor (primarily because I didn't have time to do it myself)...the cabinet work was done by www.werever.com...they are located in Tampa, but ship anywhere...excellent craftsmanship and will work with you if there is anything "special" you want...I brought in a basic sketch of what I wanted and they worked out the design...it was finished in July 2006 and has stood up fantastically...good luck finding whatever works best for you!

Thanks for the info.  I will check out their site.  Your setup looks real nice!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    There are many more examples, but here are a couple of pictures of tables (but you could obviously do a whole kitchen this way) that have no mortar between the bricks/stones/whatever they are, and look like they could be made without bricklayer/stonemason skills:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1116654/stone-table-complete

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/975724/post-pic-of-your-outdoor-stone-kitchen
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @grege345 what would you change? That's pretty awesome from here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I really, really, want a nice outdoor kitchen. I would love to build one not attached to the house. I want it screened in so I don't have to deal with flies and gnats in the summer. 

I doubt I will ever get to do it, but I would really like to. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If I were to do it a gain I would have made the think out of block. Tho I don't know anyone who
    lays block. It would have been 99% the same look. @Jeremiah
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• @midwestsmoker, great looking work. Curious to know...

Did you use metal studs as a fire safety precaution or for some other reason?
    How does the built-on vacuum system get used?
    Is there a concrete slab under the counter/cabinet outer portion?

Thanks
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I did mine with the help of two friends who are both trim carpenters. I did all the design and they did most of the labor. I'm definitely not handy, so I needed help.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159219/my-deck-with-built-in-outdoor-kitchen-pic-heavy/p1

Mine is all wood with Granite tops. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Thanks
    Thanks. I used metal studs for no other reason than it being outside and didn't want wood. 
    Vacuum works similar to a wood shop except it's an ash vacuum. I have a port at each egg with a plug. I just pull the plug on the one I'm gonna use, hook up the hose and flip the switch. 
    Not sure I understand the last question. There is Hardi board under the concrete top.
    if you go to the table forum you can see some of the progress pictures. 
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I think it boils down to $$$$$.  Unless you have exceptional contracting and carpentry skills it will not look as nice .  Also a landscape architect is great but costly.  They do this all day everyday and are better at it than you or me.

Also it depends on the setting. If you have a million dollar+ house you need to to enhance value.  If not, you don't want it to make the rest of your area look downtrodden.
    You get what you pay for typically.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    1. Did it myself, I'm a retired general contractor
    2. Metal studs, Hardi, Cast Stone, Pour in place Concrete Tops, Built-in Vacuum System
    3. I'm an Extreme Professional 

That's absolutely beautiful!  Very nice job.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2015
    @midwestsmoker, great looking work. Curious to know...

Thanks
    Thanks. I used metal studs for no other reason than it being outside and didn't want wood. 
    Vacuum works similar to a wood shop except it's an ash vacuum. I have a port at each egg with a plug. I just pull the plug on the one I'm gonna use, hook up the hose and flip the switch. 
    Not sure I understand the last question. There is Hardi board under the concrete top.
    Thanks. I meant a slab in the ground to support all of the weight or just a base as you would put under pavers or stone. Just thinking about how i see paver stone driveways settle ovet time. Vacuum is a great idea!
    People with outdoor kitchens make me jealous...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Oh, I could just die! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Thanks
    Thanks. I meant a slab in the ground to support all of the weight or just a base as you would put under pavers or stone. Just thinking about how i see paver stone driveways settle ovet time. Vacuum is a great idea!
    Just paver base, about 18" deep

Thanks
    Just paver base, about 18" deep
    Thanks again @midwestsmoker. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I'm probably a year or two away from getting a project like this started but, it never hurts to start pulling together different ideas and methods.
    Had this built about 14 months ago by a contractor. I love it but would change some things knowing what I know now. Advice is worth what you pay for it but here is mine. I'd opt for less equipment than you are thinking and more counter space and storage space. Built in fridges and gassers are expensive, but if that's your thing then go for it.  Think about storage ahead of time. I didn't and my under counter area is a rats nest of accessories. I'm building shelves in there as soon as it cools off. I would eliminate the side burner in my set up and make space for a smaller egg if doing it now. I have a mini max on a cart that swmbo hates. I still may try to fit the mini max in the slot where the side burner is. Hey...want to buy my side burner??? Kidding. 

Enjoy the process and take time to do your research. Then do some more. Nothing beats a great outdoor space. I sat out there last night with my aging parents and just talked for hours, while cooking some Hawaiian pork. That makes it worth what I spent. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • @ksmyrl, curious to know how much you use the sink?
    @texanofthenorth The sink is one of the things I'd change. I'd have a bigger one. This one is basically a hand sink and I use it all the time. Hot and cold running water is a must IMHO. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I am looking into an outdoor kitchen, but I will be doing it in stages. . Hopefully one day I'll have a new deck with a trellis mostly for lighting, a gas fired hot tub, outdoor kitchen, etc. This year I'm doing windows and a french drainage system, but the yard is on the list and I can't wait haha.
  • ksmyrl said:
    Had this built about 14 months ago by a contractor. I love it but would change some things knowing what I know now. Advice is worth what you pay for it but here is mine. I'd opt for less equipment than you are thinking and more counter space and storage space. Built in fridges and gassers are expensive, but if that's your thing then go for it.  Think about storage ahead of time. I didn't and my under counter area is a rats nest of accessories. I'm building shelves in there as soon as it cools off. I would eliminate the side burner in my set up and make space for a smaller egg if doing it now. I have a mini max on a cart that swmbo hates. I still may try to fit the mini max in the slot where the side burner is. Hey...want to buy my side burner??? Kidding. 

Enjoy the process and take time to do your research. Then do some more. Nothing beats a great outdoor space. I sat out there last night with my aging parents and just talked for hours, while cooking some Hawaiian pork. That makes it worth what I spent. 

Very nice set up
  • tcampbell said:
    My sink I use all the time
    Nice, stainless tops?