Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using different smoking wood

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experimented with using other wood than hickory such as cherry, pecan, apple,etc. for smoking. If so, is there really a signifigant difference.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    budrow, Try some Guava, Good Stuff. Maybe someone will chime in with the addy.

• Unknown
    Options
    budrow,
    Yeah... I've used Pecan, Hickory, Apple, Pistachio, Orange
    wood, Lime wood, Alder, etc. Some woods work better with
    certain foods. For example, Apple works well with pork
    and chicken, Hickory or Oak is paired with beef, Pecan
    is a bit milder than hickory and works well with about
    everything. The stronger woods usually go with beef.
    Milder woods work with poultry and fish. None of this is
    cast in concrete though. Experiment and see what you like.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    budrow,
    Different woods will all impart different flavors as well as different colors sometimes.[p]Apple is a very mild wood and can almost impart a sweet flavor, cherry is pretty mild and can add a little more reddish hue to your smoke ring, or rather heat ring.[p]Pecan is a natural for turkey and makes a really nice mahogony coating on the bird but isn't too harsh of a smoke.[p]Sweet maple or just maple is another more mild smoke. [p]If you play around you can definitely learn to detect the different flavors the smoke will provide.

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    budrow,
    Being relatively new to the smoking scene, I didn't think the types of wood could make that big of a difference. I was wrong - I've used hickory, apple, cherry and mesquite. Still looking to venture into some of the other varieties others have mentioned. [p]grab a few bags of each type and give it a try. happy eggin.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    budrow,
    As you start to try different smoking woods don't forget that you can also combine woods for a unique flavor. It's all good but it has to taste good to you. [p]Spring "Smoke 'em If You Got 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    budrow,[p]I generally agree with K_sqrd & Bobby-Q's advice. Here is a clip from the smoking woods page on my cookin' site and bear in mind that this is just my opinion.[p]Different woods give slightly different flavors to your product but very few people can tell one wood from another just from the aroma in the air unless they are comparing a very light wood like alder to a very strong wood like mesquite. Even fewer people can taste a product and identify the kind of wood used. Now.....I'm not saying any old wood is as good as another, I'm saying that there are subtle differences and the type of wood, the amount used, the quality of the smoke, the base flavor of the product combined with the flavor of the spices, marinades or basting sauce all work together to make a flavor footprint that you like....Learning the combination of seasoning, heat, time and smoke flavor that suits you is what makes barbecue, or grilling, or smoking so wonderful. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggcitable Boy
    Options
    budrow,[p]Last weekend I tried for the first time some Hawaiian Guava wood on thicker country style, bone in pork ribs. 300 degrees direct heat for about 55 minutes. I used a spritzer of dill pickle juice (my personal favorite spritzer base juice) and Colemans yellow mustard powder with a small dilution of my beer of choice at the time of cooking. I soaked my Guava for 1/2 hour in cold water and really liked the mild but noticable flavor with pork. I plan on smoking a turkey next weekend with Guava. Give it a try, Im sure you will like it..........Eggcitable Boy

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    budrow,
    I have many times cooked with only salt, pepper and garlic powder. No smoking wood. You will be surprised to see just how much the fat in a piece of meat will make the taste come alive using basic seasoning. [p]Chef Jerry

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    budrow,[p]Yes, I’ve experimented with different woods and combinations. You already have some sage advice from earlier posts. Perhaps all I could add is there are viable smoke generators apart from wood to consider. For example, fresh or dried herb sprigs, wine or spirit aging barrel chips and different onions. [p]Focusing on wood, variables to consider for different cooks might include: specific wood or mix of woods, amount and when to add for your taste, size considerations (chunks, chips and what not), bark and soak or not (if so, in what). That’s part of the fun. Experimenting to see what you like. You will learn a bunch. [p]Eventually, you’ll probably decide on a “chart” for your taste that will match everything up for you: what smoke generators go with what food and how to use them for a given cook. Start experimenting and keep a log of the results. It’ll help.

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I was reading the posts from bottom to top and kept thinking about the smoking onion, you beat me to it. That HAS to be my favorite when doing a Trex steak. Throw a spanish onion in the lava right after the sear. Then when you do the roast...mmm..mmmmm.mmmmmmmmm. I can taste it right now.[p]E

• thirdeye
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Add dried corn cobs to that unusual smoke generator list.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I agree and like onion a lot. Great alterative smoke source with it’s own way to use. I use it with steaks and beef burgers all the time. It’s always a good option for most relatively short cooks. [p]Darn it, I’m getting hungry again.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks! I'm trying to compile the best “table” I can for an upcoming presentation. I recall a post about it, but would you mind sharing how you would use corncobs? [p]Thanks in advance,[p]BBBQ

• thirdeye
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Corn cobs have been traditionally used in smoke houses and are most popular for curing bacon and Virginia style hams. Their flavor goes good with maple cures, sugar cures, sugar brines, sweet injections or just sugar based rubs. Try some on pork ribs or on salmon that has been either dry cured or uses maple syrup. (my favorite dry cure for salmon is on my site, it dissolves into syrup overnight) [p]Cobs are also good when doing a "second smoke" on store bought thick sliced bacon, smoked shanks or a smoked jowl. The second smoke on these items really bumps up the flavor and gives them the home smoked touch. All of these can then be frozen for stews, beans etc. Be warned, it takes a lot of will power not to immediately eat all of the bacon done this way![p]Anyway, all you do is save some cobs from the summers sweet corn. I like to scrape them if the corn is cut off for canning or freezing, no scraping needed if you have eaten the corn off the cob. You can slice them into rounds or quarters then let them dry a couple of weeks and you are all set. Use them just like chunks of wood.[p]Just curious, what kind of presentation are you giving?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    budrow,
    I enjoy Chinese food and I have smoked with whole star anis for duck. I've used slices of fresh ginger and cinnamon bark, smells like cookies baking. Going to try tea smoked pork or chicken this summer.
    Clay Smoker

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Corn Cobs have come a LONG way from when I first started using them in conjunction with a Sears-Roebuck catalog. LOL[p]Spring "Cobs Are Not For Re-use" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]It's about using different smoking woods. While I was working on the outline, I realized there were other smoke generators to mention. In a perfect world, I’d have the audience sample chicken thighs smoked with different things.[p]I’m also creating a handout with a table of smoke generators and food pairing examples. Of course, there will be a reminder about a clean burning fire. Hopefully with a picture or two.

• Unknown
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I like to throw fresh oregano on the coals. I believe this is common in Mexico.