Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 day dry-aged pork for mother-in-laws birthday dinner.

Options
My mother-in-law's birthday is tomorrow. We can not get together tomorrow, so tonight is the celebratory dinner. She requested pork chops, as she loves how they usually turn out.  Knowing that she wanted them several weeks ago, I went out and got a "premium reserve" bone-in loin, which is the best flavored pork I ever had. I started dry aging it exactly 30 days ago today. Tonight I cook it. 

Not sure how I am going to do it yet. Simple salt and pepper so I really get the flavor? Or the way she likes it - with a little time in a "grill mates" mesquite marinade.  Maybe both ways?

@20stone , @dmw said you made some incredible 50 day dry aged chops, mind sharing how you did them? 

Regardless how the are seasoned and cooked, pictures and narrative to follow. Hopefully the weather holds out for me as they are calling for rain this afternoon. Not that the rain will stop me....
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Really interested in this...will look forward to the results!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    glad to see you do this.  it's always been one of my "gonna do someday" things. when i first started aging beef i considered aging pork to see if there was a difference, and before i got a chance to, i saw some for sale at Lobel's I think, or other high end place.  people were saying you "can't" or "shouldn't" or it wouldn't work.  bah.  i bet yours'll be great.

aging works with any meat (it all ages i mean, whether it's good is a different thing, right?), but i figured bone in pork loin would be a great start

let us know (of course you will, or you wouldn't have started this thread) how it turns out. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    make sure to post a pic before cutting it up, would be interested in seeng how it looks as a raw dry aged roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I will absolutely take pictures of the whole process, beginning to end. @Darby_Crenshaw I know what you are saying. When I was doing my research, there were a lot of "you can do it, but I never have" comments. But also a lot of "I have had  a dry-aged chop, and it was great" comments as well. So I figured I would give it a try.  

If this particular meat was not so well marbled, I would not have done it, but this stuff is usually pretty good.  Much better than your standard loin. 

Here is a prior piece to show the marbling: 

Here is the roast a few days after being in the fridge. I will certainly cut it into chops:  

Large and MiniMax

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    promising.

when i first considered it, there were people saying it not only wasn't done, but shouldn't be.  you know, all those people who have never done it themselves telling you it's not possible.  love those people!  shrtly thereafter, it was commercially available, and all those nay sayers stopped nay saying. funny how that happens.

prosciutto is aged, albeit also salted/cured.  but you will likely still notice the 'aged' component.  in fact, i bet it is stronger in pork because it's a milder flavor to begin with.  but i dunno.  haven't done it.

but we all like dry cured bacon, and that has a lot of drier fat, pork fat obviously, which is never a bad thing (unless you're a cardiologist maybe).

i'm betting on a home run.

hat's off

EDIT: you slow roasting? I would steer clear of the sear, but do what you are comfortable with.  that fat layer is gonna be the brownest thing you ever beheld. hahaha damn.  jealous here
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    promising.

when i first considered it, there were people saying it not only wasn't done, but shouldn't be.  you know, all those people who have never done it themselves telling you it's not possible.  love those people!  shrtly thereafter, it was commercially available, and all those nay sayers stopped nay saying. funny how that happens.

prosciutto is aged, albeit also salted/cured.  but you will likely still notice the 'aged' component.  in fact, i bet it is stronger in pork because it's a milder flavor to begin with.  but i dunno.  haven't done it.

but we all like dry cured bacon, and that has a lot of drier fat, pork fat obviously, which is never a bad thing (unless you're a cardiologist maybe).

i'm betting on a home run.

hat's off

EDIT: you slow roasting? I would steer clear of the sear, but do what you are comfortable with.  that fat layer is gonna be the brownest thing you ever beheld. hahaha damn.  jealous here
    there are folks aging fish and even chicken, there are folks that will even eat raw bacon and raw chicken, i would be squeamish about the raw chicken though ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i was talking back about on the 'old' forum when aging was an icky thing and o-my-god-you'll-kill-your-family

people were asking if you could age pork and there was much talk about not enough fat and it not being safe (because people are paranoid about pork for some reason).

i accidentally aged a chicken.  dried the skin out for a week.  good stuff. wasn't aged very long though.

muscle is muscle.

but a simple bone-in pork roast is still something i haven't tried.  can't imagine it going wrong.  this will be nice to watch from afar

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Final dried weight:  5 lbs 8.5 oz

i know it was not that long of a drying period, but the meat was softer than I thought it would be. 

Cut shots on the way....

Large and MiniMax

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    those bags slow the initial drying from what i understand, so it may not be as dry as you expect, but i'm betting it's going to be great.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When @20stone cooked up the 50 day hippy-farm dry aged pork chop at Salado earlier this year, I've wanted to dry age some myself.   That was one of the best things I've ever eaten.  The fat was like butter and the flavors complex.  I seriously could have eaten two pounds of it.
    Options
    If the meat is in a bag, why is there a weight reduction? Doesn't the liquid just displace from the meat to the bag? Seems like the weight would remain the same until the meat is removed from the bag. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @stem_cell - the bag is semi-permeable - it's designed to lose moisture.
    Options
    @stem_cell - the bag is semi-permeable - it's designed to lose moisture.
    Thanks. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Cut pieces:

Large and MiniMax

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Those look great I can't wait to see the cooked pictures. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Seasoned:

Added just two small chunks of hickory

Went at 275 for the two large cuts like a reverse sear

Large and MiniMax

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Hurry, we need to know !!!!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Seasoned:

Added just two small chunks of hickory

Went at 275 for the two large cuts like a reverse sear

Lookin GOOD!!! Sending a PM.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options

Put the marinade on my wife's and in-laws

Resting - pulled at 139 - I was not going to risk an overcook...  You can see where I took the the temp with the thermopen...

As usual, the picture does not do it justice...

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    This bite from the bone was insane. Kinda like baked on bacon on a rib. The fat was crispy, and so full of flavor, I can not explain it.  It was just soooooooo delicious. 

In fact, it was so good the plate was happy!

This is a do-over without a hesitation.  I think I might go 40 days next time, but that is it.  If you ever thought about doing it - do it.  But I think the key is to get a really good piece of pork with good inter muscular fat for best results.  

Large and MiniMax

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    OMFG

btw way, see those tiny white specks in the flesh? That will show up in country hams and prosciutto, or any aged pork of quality. 

I thought it only happened at room temp, but apparently not. Supposedly a sign of high grade pork. Not sure what it is or why though, to be honest

Looks fantastic man

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That looks awesome. =)  How does the flavor and texture compare with non aged chops?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw it was a fun thing to do. First attempt at dry-aging was a beef boneless prime rib roast.  The thing is, I like pork 1% more than beef, therefore the next logical thing to do was age pork.

@Cookinbob the flavor is more intense. Kind of condensed.   Hard to explain. Any meat that was exposed to the bag, dried more, and when cooked was like a homemade bacon without the salt. Not chewy, not super crispy, but crisp. And the part around the bone was OH MY GOD awesome!  It was the best pork I ever had by far. Like by a mile.  The difference is like a tomato in the middle of January, all flavorless and pale compared to one out of your backyard at the peak or ripeness in August. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Oh, the texture was about the same.  But the flavor..... You have to try it. 
    Large and MiniMax

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    My man....Thats looks amazing! Wow! Call me ignorant but I didn't even know that pork benefitted from dry aging. Well done!
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Glad @sgh was not here - he would have ate the whole damn thing. I know it...
    Large and MiniMax

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Glad @sgh was not here - he would have ate the whole damn thing. I know it...
    I would have knocked a heck of a dent it brother, that you can be sure off. This is mighty fine looking to say the least. Outstanding job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    If the meat is in a bag, why is there a weight reduction? Doesn't the liquid just displace from the meat to the bag? Seems like the weight would remain the same until the meat is removed from the bag. 
    Hi - those who know me here know that I am not hiding the fact that I'm a moderator on the UMAi Dry® forum so please no flames. Granted people have been dry aging meat for hundreds of years, but if you are at least open minded you ought to at least take a look at the UMAi Dry® product page. And while you are there please click on the forum feature. And yes...I'm RRP there also so I'm hiding in plain open sight!
    http://www.drybagsteak.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow, that looks awesome!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    PASmoke said:
    My man....Thats looks amazing! Wow! Call me ignorant but I didn't even know that pork benefitted from dry aging. Well done!
    I did not know for sure either.  I am far from a pro compared to others on here, but I love trying new things, and doing things that result in something special that takes time to accomplish, this dry aging thing is right up my alley. 
    Mi tried looking up dry aged pork, and I did not find a whole lot on it.  Luckily, I have a place nearby that has really high quality pork, so I thought I would give it a try.  I am glad I did. 
    Large and MiniMax