Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rack

Hey Guys, any issues with smoking 6 full rack on the rib rack.  Will the ribs cook fully even if they are folding over and touching each other?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As long as you are not  using a mini you should be fine. Some racks hold 5 so place the 6th flat on the top, indirect 250F spritz every 30-45 minutes. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    If your worried about them 'touching' you can run wooden skewers thru them to keep some space between them.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have found when using a rib rack on my XL they will touch some and they may need to be rotated during the cook.  Are you cooking them straight through or 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 method?  What temp are you cooking at?  What size egg?

As long as you are not  using a mini you should be fine. Some racks hold 5 so place the 6th flat on the top, indirect 250F spritz every 30-45 minutes. 
    I have never spritz when using the egg only when I use my WSM do Spritz.  I get plenty of moisture in mine when I do the 2-1-1 method at 225-250 or straight through in 3 to 4 hours.  I don't like opening the egg up every 30 to 45 minutes when doing low and slow's either.  Does the spritzing help that much?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have found when using a rib rack on my XL they will touch some and they may need to be rotated during the cook.  Are you cooking them straight through or 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 method?  What temp are you cooking at?  What size egg?

I have never spritz when using the egg only when I use my WSM do Spritz.  I get plenty of moisture in mine when I do the 2-1-1 method at 225-250 or straight through in 3 to 4 hours.  I don't like opening the egg up every 30 to 45 minutes when doing low and slow's either.  Does the spritzing help that much?

Friend of mine who had a "Q" joint for 30+ years turned me into a spritzer believer,  Each his own.  This works for me or a variation depending on mood.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1104288&catid=1

• I have a LG egg. Typically I do 2-1-1 or 3-1-1 depending on how much time I have. 200-250 dome temp. I will try the rack with 6 slabs next time. Thanks Guys
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2015
    What size egg are you using?  I find that with baby backs they are just too long to get full racks.  The racks usually seem to be close to 18 inches long so I can only get full racks in center.  I often see people with 6 full racks on a large so I wonder if the pigs are just bigger in GA.  

I usually only do 3 at a time, sometimes 4 and I cut them in 1/2. 

I also like the skewer idea.  Here is a visual aid- I think this is 4 full racks.  I took the 2 shortest racks in the middle then cut the others in half.  

Also note the use of foil to protect the ribs hanging over the plate setter.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nice pic. I have a LG. Normally I do 3-4 racks as well. But when you have 4-5 guys over 1 rack each is never enough ever with sides lol. I have done 5 racks on 3 on the first grate and 2 on the second. Worked great but 6 racks would be better. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jollygreenegg
    jollygreenegg Posts: 181
    edited August 2015
    Airflow between the pieces definetly affects the cook and color.  I will rotate them 1-2 times if they are packed.

MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Just a few thoughts for you to consider-
    Hard to get full effect of the foiling (sweet into meat) while in the rack, I like to lay flat meat side down.  Stacking on top of each other in foil will also impact cooking time.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA