Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Relocating the BGE Overseas

Options
Good evening folks, its been awhile since I've posted - I know - you all have missed me :)  I've been working / traveling overseas quite a bit and apparently doing all right by my company because now they have me in a pickle and extending the opportunity for me and my family to relocate to Australia.

So right behind the logistics of my home, when we will see our families, our young son, and my dog... is the consideration for the BGE.  I can probably talk my company into flying it down for me (a large) in an air shipment but I would have concern with the weight, and handling of it and of course if we will be living in a home / apartment that would support my egging habit... My next genius thought is negotiate for them to allow me to pick up a minimax while I was down there... there would be a cost for them to cover on that but I think its only right ;)

What do you all think?  Anyone have experiance with this situation?  Im cooking on the darn thing like 2 times a week when I'm home, I know that's not even close to some of you, but that makes it as vital as a microwave or stove IMHO.

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    i would try to find a big steel keg on craigslist.  i've transported mine cross country twice.  easy as pie.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Seriously? It's number 5 on your list?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If the company really wants you there, they'll accommodate you. An Egg is peanuts compared to corporate relo costs. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It's unlikely to ship and arrive in one piece. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Shipping overseas scares me. Container shipments especially. Those Goya can get pretty rough and then the trucks transporting them can be worse!  Is there a dealer down there??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If they hire someone to pack it and it breaks then it will be time for a new egg. I might do some research on the living situation. Do you know how long you will be there, house or condo. rules etc. In the grand scheme, an egg is peanuts. If the move is only for a couple of years I would store it here with a friend or sell it. If the move is long term, I would have them pack it. If it breaks they will cover it. Or tell them to buy it a ticket for a seat on the plane
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Let me know if you need someone to hold on to it until your return. I will treat it like my own.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    We have an Australian member active on the forum. Seems he went through some extreme measures to acquire his eggs. I can't remember his forum name though. Maybe someone can post his forum name for you. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Why not buy one there? Look into the pricing, I think it was BBQ Galore had the BGE monopoly in Oz - their website now shows KJ. 

@stem33 - his name is Aussie - go figure, eh? Look him up on the everywhere map...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Because it's "down under" does the smoke flow out the bottom vent?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Because it's "down under" does the smoke flow out the bottom vent?
    No! It does, however, swirl in the opposite direction.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Why not buy one there? Look into the pricing, I think it was BBQ Galore had the BGE monopoly in Oz - their website now shows KJ. 

@stem33 - his name is Aussie - go figure, eh? Look him up on the everywhere map...
    Hey @bulldog you can read about this guys journeys in the link below. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173503/ɹǝpunuʍop-ɯoɹɟ-sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ-ʎɐp-פ/p1
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Skiddymarker, I have idea why I quoted on your post other than to say duh. Must be too tired to be posting. Off to bed I go. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    For long range planning you might want to do any maintenance now such as gasket replacement and obviously take care of any warranty issues. Shipping down there from here is expensive!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd just buy a kamado in Australia.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk