Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vintage egg in Columbia

Options
My aunt lives in Columbia and they have an old hibachi cooker that I believe my uncle picked up overseas while in the service many years ago. She was asking if I was interested in it but living so far away now makes that hard to do. She says some clay is peeling off and the bands are rusted. She is planning on putting it on the side of the street so I thought I would see if anyone on here is interested. If interested send me a pm and I will get you in contact with her.
Wimberley,TX
X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
17" and 28" Blackstones

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    South Carolina?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Or Central America???

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Yes, SC
    Wimberley,TX
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Don't let her throw it out! Some here will surely take it.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Put it out on the curb....  I'll be by to pick it up soon!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HarrisFrampton
    Options
    I hope so. It's sad, I doubt the thing has been used once in the past 30 years. I can remember it on their back porch when I was a kid.
    Wimberley,TX
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That might be a cool restoration project. If you decided to cook on it, you'd need to keep the temps down since it made of clay and won't handle high heat. I forget what the suggested max is. Should handle low and slow though.

RichardFL, mostly on the other forum, but here occasionally, has at least one that he restored. If I remember correctly. He may be able to offer advice if anyone decides to have a go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    DON"T TRASH IT! I bought her twin model a few years back and made a great restoration of it.  Paid $10 originally and put another 75 or so in it.  When I get to my other location will post the link.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    INTERESTED!! pm sent
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    DON"T TRASH IT! I bought her twin model a few years back and made a great restoration of it.  Paid $10 originally and put another 75 or so in it.  When I get to my other location will post the link.

Here is the link.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it's less about high heat than it is about the entrained water and freeze thaw...

if it were totally dried, you could probably sear on the thing at 600-ish.

but looking at the flaking, it looks like water had gotten into it at some point and maybe had a freeze.

the old warnings were always "don't go above 400", but that's way too specific.

it's earthenware, like the cheap chimineas that some places sell.  those fall apart after a lot of exterior weather and use.  water, high heat, water, high heat, freeze ,etc.

i would think a careful exam and moderate use would be fine. 

they DID function fine when new after all, right?

this one looks like it may have issues though.  flaking is no bueno
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @HarrisFrampton thanks! Your aunt says she'll hold it for me. She says I'm a nut for wanting it. Lol. We'll see...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Hope that it is useable. Worst case you can turn it into a planter. Keep me posted on how it turns out.
    Wimberley,TX
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    I'll take it if you don't Jeremiah.  
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    That would be a cool item to restore and use.

And FYI, you can get those chimineas really hot if you do it right (or wrong).
    Language warning at the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FwMlkoxjI

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    It looks in decent shape from that one pic.  Around Dallas people would list that for at least $100 on craigslist.  Even if it has a broken fire ring.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX