Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT........RTIC coolers, visited their office in Houston today

Options

I just foraged across town in our badly needed rain to visit their Houston office. The 15 minute trip took about 3 hour round trip. Got to love Houston weather and road construction...

I met both John and Jim. They were both super nice and showed me their line of coolers as well as compared it to the Yeti coolers they had in their office so one could compare the quality side by side.

They invited all questions and answered all my questions. In my opinion they were as honest and open as anyone I have every met. John was very apologetic for the production delays but wants to make sure ALL the aspects were perfect before any runs were made.

They showed me a couple very, very, minor changes that were being made to the currant production run. Detail seems very important to them.

These coolers were beautiful in quality and material. The finish on the coolers were perfect as were the components. 
They will in the future offer a wire tray/basket as many others do now.

They openly invite visitors per their web site to visit their office in Houston. I took them up and was very happy to meet them. They do not have stock ready for sale so don't expect to walk out with a cooler. They only had the most recent prototypes.

I will be putting in an order for a 65qt Tan. I feel confident they have made a better cooler for a greatly reduced price.

John also encouraged me to take any photos of the coolers I wanted. I did not take any close ups as I only had my phone but build quality is awesome and solid.

I'm sold.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks for sharing my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great info, thanks for making the trek and sharing!  Excited to get mine!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Crap. I'm sold as well. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Crap. I'm sold as well. 
    Brother Miah, I'm hurt that my word wasn't enough ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    In the words of Mike: To the top^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Photo Egg   Thanks for braving the weather to check this out.  It is always comforting to know that some internet thing actually exists and is not just electrons bouncing around between computers.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    How many beers (cans) can I fit in the little one vs the medium one? This is an important question
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @Photo Egg   Thanks for braving the weather to check this out.  It is always comforting to know that some internet thing actually exists and is not just electrons bouncing around between computers.  
    I can vouch for nice people, an office and staff and putting my hands on some nice coolers.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @Eggcelsior mentioned that the 20's handle om the Yeti blows balls and pops off.  Can you ask them if their handle works better?  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    grege345 said:
    How many beers (cans) can I fit in the little one vs the medium one? This is an important question
    A case in the small one.
    NOLA
  • auhoe
    auhoe Posts: 25
    Options
    I preordered a blue one, now I only see white and tan?
    Lawrenceville, GA   XL Big Green Egg, Minimax, Flameboss, Maverick
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    grege345 said:
    A case in the small one.
    LOL...true enough.
    He did say their 20qt was actually 22qt. The Yeti 20qt was either 16qt or 18qt.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

auhoe said:
    I preordered a blue one, now I only see white and tan?
    I did not ask them about the limited colors now being offered. Sorry
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    LOL...true enough.
    He did say their 20qt was actually 22qt. The Yeti 20qt was either 16qt or 18qt.
    Yeti is shorting us ;)

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    grege345 said:
    A case in the small one.
    Really? A case with some ice? Hmmmm who knew this would be the biggest hurdle to overcome today. I like my beers packed tight when I'm on the side by side. Less movement. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If needed cooler I would pull the trigger ASAP.   Sounds like they are a true knock off off YETI and a much lowere price.  They clearly copied YETI so I probably should get one anyway in case things change.   Dang, what to do.  Really want the 65.  I need to just walk away......
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm in, that's for making that trip. Pictures are awesome!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Dang, what to do.  Really want the 65.  
    Just pull out that big fat wallet and get it my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @4Runner You can't get a 65 without it's little brother 20!!! Right Scottie?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @4Runner You can't get a 65 without it's little brother 20!!! Right Scottie?
    Tell em brother ;)

Status- Standing by.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Damn you people!   I'm now browsing.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I put my money down last night . Thanks for the post , I feel much better about it now . :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    Options
    I paid for mine (45) today. 
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    OK, yall got me. Went ahead and paid up. 
    Ty for the trip from all of us. Nothing like a true egghead site visit and report. 
    Priceless.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I have a 45quart yeti but the pricing on these is making my butthole pucker.  I might need to but one just to test it out.  Thanks for the info.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    SGH said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Crap. I'm sold as well. 
    Brother Miah, I'm hurt that my word wasn't enough ;)
    Somehow I think you'll recover.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks SGH, now I'm thinking about preordering another one!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Darian - count yourself as one of the enablers now!

I was on the fence when I got the pre-order email. Noted that they were local, and thought about making a trip sometime (which I realized would not happen soon). Your report pushed me over the edge. Damn you! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    jakebge said:
    I add a third 65 today myself in case that hippy in NO wants one. Hope that you enjoy them brother.  

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH said:
    jakebge said:
    I add a third 65 today myself in case that hippy in NO wants one. Hope that you enjoy them brother.  
    With the 3rd 65qt...how many are you up to now.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas