Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Ribs (A bit long)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back there was a post which basically said people liked their own ribs better than any of the restaurant ribs in the area. Well, I must confess I like the ribs at a couple of local joints better than my own.[p]I'm happy with the prep, the rub, and the sauce which makes me think my issue is to figure out when they are done. I've read all of the techniques; slab bends easily when picked up, the meat shrinks exposing 1/4 inch of bone, the meat tears easily, etc., etc. but I think I am missing the mark on doneness.[p]My question is what technique do you use to determine when your ribs are exactly done.[p]For the record I tried foiling and hated the results - the texture was not to my liking. I was actually happy about that because it required too much work when I had multiple racks on the egg.[p]Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    What to you consider done? Do you consider the restaurant robs to have better texture, better taste or what?[p]Toy Man
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    Got to echo Toy Man. "Done" is a lot like "beautiful" - what's "done" to me may be just "so-so" to you. What is it about those restaurant ribs you admire? Maybe we can help you replicate that.[p]Sorry I can't help more.[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    im assuming either your cooking direct or inderect throughout the cook. a good way to learn to judge your own ribs is to start sampling at a certain time and keep sampling from the rack for the next couple of hours until you find what you like. i like my ribs somewhat overcooked, i may cook for up to 7 hours either directt or indirect at 225 degrees if they are for me, but if im cooking for others i may back it down to 4.5-5 hours.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    What time setting are you working with? Indirect/direct. Do you like your ribs 'dry' or sauced up. How about smoke, how are you using chips/chunks? Pictures?

• YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    Boston Baked,[p]
    Which local Q joints ? I'm in the boston area too. Looks like your in Lexington so maybe your talking about blue Ribbon ?

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    ...or Redbones?[p]When I started doing ribs, I followed WessB's 3-1-1.5 approach and then messed around with different aspect of it as time went on. While I agree with the posts that suggest "beautiful ribs" is a subjective concept, you may want to start with something that works pretty well and then adapt to your preferences.
    Paul

[ul][li]WessB's ribs[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Actually, I don't like Blue Ribbon or Tennessee's (Framingham). The the places I like the best are Dave's Famous (Saugus) and Smokey Bones (Tyngsboro). I think I'm beginning to like the ribs at Lester's as well.[p][p]
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    not sure if it was daves or smokey bones, but one of those was selling at a contest i went to last summer. they were pulling ribs that were warm in a cooler, and tossing them on a hot grill, flipping and basting with a very watered down sauce. it gives the ribs a different exterior texture that i liked. have done this at home and it does work well. as for what they do in the resteraunt i dont know, i dont go out for que

fukahwee maine

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I use an indirect set-up with a place setter on a large. I use one fist-sized chunk of hickory and smoke for 5-6 hours at a dome temp around 240. I finish direct with sauce for another 30-45 minutes.[p]I think my biggest issue has to do with the texture and tenderness of the finished product. The ribs are fairly tender but do not gently pull away from the bone like some of the ribs I really like. It seems to me that I either should cook at a higher temp or for a bit longer.[p]My biggest concern is that I read that there is about a 15 minute window when ribs are done "just right". I know everyone has their own preferences but I am trying to figure out when the ribs are in that window.[p]The rack bends easily - a raw rack of ribs bends easily too.[p]The bone becomes exposed - it is exposed about 2 hours into the smoking process as well.[p]Does anyone use an internal temp to determine when they are done?[p]I know I'm dealing in minutia here and I do appreciate all of your suggestions.[p]Boston[p]

• fishlessman
    Options
    i may of not worded that right, they were cooked, then rested wrapped in a cooler, then hit the hot grill for a quick heat up with baste
    fukahwee maine

• YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    Boston Baked,[p]I haven't tried any of those places so I guess I'm no help. I use a toothpick to determine when my ribs are done, but it's a hard thing to teach or explain over the internet. It's more a matter of experience and knowing when the toothpick goes through the ribs with a certain resistance then they are done.[p]There is a bbq class in Maynard Mass this weekend, but it's a competition class. While cooking techniques will be an integral part of the class, competition presentation and rules will also be covered. If your interested you can find out more at www.nebs.org.[p]Steve
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Perfect Ribs....Hmmm.....I think it's a matter of trial and error....and finding what works best for Boston Baked....I'm still working on it myself.....I like the 3-1-1 method...But I've had to adjust that particular method to my taste....For me....it's like 2.5-45-20.....2.5 hours indirect...45 minutes in the foil with apple juice indirect....and about 20 minutes of saucing, flipping and "baking" over a direct fire......I think the last phase of saucing and flipping is the most important phase of the cook.....because that's where you can adjust the texture of meat to your liking.....[p]There are some BBQ restaurants I like....and although I live in South Florida....I've eaten at Tennessee's in Framingham (MA) and it was pretty decent......And I'm starting to get to the point that I really like my ribs!....and always with room for improvement....But I'm getting there....and it's the trial and error that keeps me going!![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    Had Famous Dave's ribs at a bbq festival in Lowell last fall. They were great. I was even thinking of buying stock in the company. (ticker: DAVE) And then they opened a place just outside of the airport in Manchester NH. I visited them once and got takeout. Worst ribs of all time. It was hard to distinguish the meat from the bone, they were so overcooked.[p]Anyhow, if you get lazy and want to eat out, try Redbones in Somerville![p]Paul

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    Bosotn Baked,
    If you want the meat to pull gently away from the bone, I think the best way is to use the foiling step. You've indicated you don't like the results doing this. Also - are you doing baby backs or spares? The spares have more meat and would probably have a larger margin for error cooking-time wise.[p]just some thoughts,
    Brian

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Boston Baked,
    have you checked temp of the meat bewtween the bone?[p]rather than going by time (racks vary, so time should vary), consider doing your 'regular' preferred method, and pulling a rack at say 180 between the ribs, hen 185, 190, 200, etc.[p]perhaps as high as 205. they won't dry out....[p]see if one internal temp works better than another. then in the future, you'd approximate the time, but pull them off by finished temp.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    cdd638b1.jpg
    <p />Bosotn Baked,[p]It sounds like you need to bump up your temperature, 240° dome could be just over 200° at the grate. You did not mention if you rub and refrigerate overnight, so you may look into that. I sometimes will thin out yollow mustard with some wooster for a slather. Anyway, back to your texture issue.[p]You might try the BRITU technique. 225° for the first 3 hours, then 250°-275° to finish. This works better for me on loin ribs.[p]The next thing I would do if you are not happy with the tenderness and texture of straight barbecued ribs or ribs using the 3-1-1 (or some variation) why don't you try "tenting" the ribs. Using a grate temp around 250° and with the ribs laying flat (meat side up) on the grate, just lay a piece of foil on top for the first 1 to 3 hours. This will hold some moisture, add tenderness but not cut off the smoke flavor. It also shortens the cook time a little. You'll need to remove the foil during the last few hours of the cook to let the bark mature and darken a little.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I tried a LOT of different ways before deciding I liked my ribs cooked direct because of the texture. Doesn't float everyone's boat. [p]Toy Man
  • Unknown
    Options
    I appreciate all of the suggestions.[p]This weekend I am picking up three racks of St. Louis' from Dewars and going to work. [p]The first thing I am going to do is bump up the dome temp to 260.[p]I'm going to pull the first rack at 170 and finish direct like usual and work my temps up until I find what I like. I have a feeling that what I am looking for is a bit on the overdone side of things but we will see.[p]Thanks everybody.[p]Boston