Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting Board Suggestion

Options
Jaime
Jaime Posts: 87
We're not looking for quite Boos prices, but not cheap, looking for an end grain board measuring 18" by 24". Any thoughts would greatly appreciated by hubby (@swordsmn) and I. Thanks!

Comments

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Or..  If we really SHOULD spend the dough,  say so...  I've seen a really nice end grain one from The Boardsmith.      I'm hoping to get a FEW decent knives soon Victoronix or Global or ???    and I don't want to ruin them on our present plastic board
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Myself, lately I've been using disposable cutting boards. Cleanup is nice.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i bought my 4 x 24 x 42 inch end grain boos table before i bought a good knife =) its 16 years old now and i expect it to last me another 40 years. worth every penny. i would also stick to all maple, not to hard and not too soft on the blades
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    i bought my 4 x 24 x 42 inch end grain boos table before i bought a good knife =) its 16 years old now and i expect it to last me another 40 years. worth every penny. i would also stick to all maple, not to hard and not too soft on the blades
    I just got my boos butcher block and I absolutely love it. I wish i would have gotten a boos board years ago.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I just picked up a Concave cutting board. Instead of having a juice channel, the board is cut at a slight concave which pools all of the liquid in the middle. I've only used it a couple times so far, but it works great. Would be great to hold brisket liquid. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    All the instructions I've read is that you have to oil these boards periodically.  Is that the case?  Seems like that would be a bit of trouble.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I picked up this $200+ Boos board off Craigslist for $40. The previous owner decided to go with a smaller size after purchasing this one. I can't find a mark on it. Definitely worth a peek....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    All the instructions I've read is that you have to oil these boards periodically.  Is that the case?  Seems like that would be a bit of trouble.

Use food grade mineral oil - it's sold as board oil. A few drops across the board and wipe it in. It only takes a minute and it's no trouble at all.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    I got a Catskill one off Amazon for less than $100 and it's pretty massive. I say it's a good deal
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looking around, Boos appears to be one of the few who offers an end grain board as big as you want. Other vendors ask about as much in $.

I've been wanting and end grain board for some time, and have looked at some made from "Lyptus," a Eucalyptus hybrid that is generally cheaper than other hardwoods. Couldn't find any as big as you want.

When I started buying better  knives, I bought a "Sani-Tough" rubber board, a restaurant standard. Its heavier than wood, and not pretty at all. A 1/2" thick one in the size you want costs about $70. They are very durable, easy to clean, and can be sanded smooth in necessary. The rubber is not as ideal as end grain wood for very fine knives (why I'm looking for an end grain board.) But for better than average knives, its fine.

For the brands you mention, a side grain board should be fine.

Plastic is not so bad for the blades, but it is harder to clean than wood. Because the fine cut lines hold water, bacteria can grow. And plastic does not have anti-bacterial properties like wood, which has an acidic nature that discourages bacterial growth.