Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Over nighter need help!!!

Options
amhobbs
amhobbs Posts: 51
Hello I'm currently smoking two pork butts overnight and I've got a water pan underneath them. My problem is the grate temp is at 190 and dome around 260. The grate probe is not touching the meat or anywhere near it. I am looking to get a temp around 250. Should I go with the dome thermometer or the grate one? Thanks.

Comments

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    How long has it been going? Mine are usually off from one another for the first hour or so but then they settle in. I'd say to be patient. Are you using digi q or any temp control aide?
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    amhobbs said:
     Should I go with the dome thermometer or the grate one? 
    Makes one ponder doesn't it? However due to the water pan, the grate temp will be lower for a while. In time, this temp will almost even out. I use a water pan here and there myself and have seen this many times. As such, go with the dome. Again, in time these two temps will come together or at least very close to evening out.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• amhobbs
    Options
    It's been on for 5 hours. I'm just using a maverick thermometer, no digi q I wish I had one.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The water pan will lower the grate temp - it's a huge heat sink.  You can't get water past 212F.  Go with dome.  Between 250 and 300F you're fine.
    Options
    amhobbs said:
    It's been on for 5 hours. I'm just using a maverick thermometer, no digi q I wish I had one.
    If it's been 5 hours, something sounds amiss. With that said, have you checked the calibration of both thermometers?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• amhobbs
    Options
    Great thanks I was worried it won't get done in time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    amhobbs said:
    Great thanks I was worried it won't get done in time.
    If you have a Thermopen or any instant read thermometer, stick in the daisy wheel opening on top of your egg and see what it reads just to get a estimate.  

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Just make sure it's stable.  Once that water evaporates, the temp will go up on the grate and, less so, the dome.  You don't need the water pan, but don't worry about it.

Sounds like you're fine.
    Options
    Yeah, that's a while for it to be that far off. Calibrate one of em just to see. I mean, since you're up
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I agree check the dome thermo, but especially if the water pan is close to the grate thermometer it sounds normal to me if there's water in the pan.
    Options
    Yeah I calibrated the dome thermo yesterday. I think I may have used to big of a water pan it's one of the large roasting pans.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Makes sense.  The water slows down the cook.  You'll be fine.  Get up in the morning and check the temps.  You can adjust hotter if you're behind schedule, no worries.  I don't really worry about temperature.  Just as long as you pull it off when it's done you'll be fine.  You can keep it hot all day after cooking. Or you can serve immediately.  If you're serving within an hour or two of it being done, let it cool in the open uncovered.  Otherwise put it in a cooler to keep warm.
    Options
    Awesome thanks Nola.