Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome / hinge alignment problem

Laker
Laker Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large that I have been using about 2 months as a newbie. Last night when I used it, I observed smoke coming out of the left rear side, never had problem before. Tonight, when I raised the lid, it would not balance and stay open. As I opened and closed it several times, the dome continued to shift to the right.

There is now a gap of 1/2' on the left where the dome does not close and has shifted to right. Bands seem tight, but have not checked.

Do I loosen the upper band and adjust or how do I do that. The springs seem okay, but the connections for the upper and lower band are no longer aligned.

Help? and thanks.

Comments

• trackman
    trackman Posts: 47
    I have an XL and a mini and I have this problem from time to time as well. What I am not doing and you may not be doing it either is periodically tightening up the bands. The nut and screw loosen up from time to time and you need to re-tighten. Otherwise you get your egg knocked out of alignment.

I'm assuming that you don't have a wavy dome that is causing the gap but if you haven't checked for that you might want to do that. Someone posted something several months back that their dome lip had a wave in it and they could never get it flush with the lower half. I would check that to make sure.