Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite Bob Dylan tune?

Options

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Buckets of Rain, My Back Pages, Bob Dylan's Dream - How could anyone choose just one?
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    My former boss turned me onto Dylan about 6 years ago.  Dude is a phenomenal songwriter, his voice is honest and isn't an over produced smooth sound, to me that's what makes him so authentic.  I love all of his old stuff, but to me it isn't old, I've just been listening to him recently.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If you guys love Dylan, then I'm guessing you go crazy for a Springsteen.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'm not getting this parallel.  They have different musical styles, different generations.
    Options
    keener75 said:
    I love Girl from the North Country with Johnny Cash. 
    The Colaboration on Girl From. The North Country is classic. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'm not getting this parallel.  They have different musical styles, different generations.
    Yeah. More like Dylan, Guthrie, and Pete Seeger. Folk is folk, homie.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Like a Rolling Stone!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Dylan and Springsteen have a direct correlation, as like Dylan, Springsteen has a social conscience and like Dylan is able to pen his thoughts on paper, set music to them, which makes these two men almost the same. Spend an evening with Springsteens 'River' album and I think you'll agree. That.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    The connection is obvious, Manfred Mann covered both of them.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Dylan and Springsteen have a direct correlation, as like Dylan, Springsteen has a social conscience and like Dylan is able to pen his thoughts on paper, set music to them
    That's what about half of all songwriter/singers do.  Dylan wrote about civil rights, social unrest, anti-war, and had a folksy style.   Springsteen is more humanitarian working class with a real energetic stage performance and a big-band sound.

But I'm sure there are many parallels also.
    Options
    @BuckeyeFork .. Too funny.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Dylan and Springsteen have a direct correlation, as like Dylan, Springsteen has a social conscience and like Dylan is able to pen his thoughts on paper, set music to them
    That's what about half of all songwriter/singers do.  Dylan wrote about civil rights, social unrest, anti-war, and had a folksy style.   Springsteen is more humanitarian working class with a real energetic stage performance and a big-band sound.

Earlier you wrote 'I'm not getting this parallel. They have different musical styles, different generations. ' now you say there are parallels, which is it? Now I'm confused?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SoCalTim said:

Earlier you wrote 'I'm not getting this parallel. They have different musical styles, different generations. ' now you say there are parallels, which is it? Now I'm confused?
    They both breathe air, blood is red, one is from Jersey, the other Jewish from Minnesota, both live on earth, sing in English, etc.
    Don't encourage me @SoCalTim, I'm that last party guest that you just met tonight and won't leave your house.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Highlands
    MBGE in Charleston

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Or, Neil Young
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Or, Neil Young
    This
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    I LOVE Neil Young! Probably more than Dylan! 
    I guess it depends on my mood. 
    Both are Legends!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I would concur if you like Dylan, you probably like Neil Young.
    And if you don't like Neil Young (count me in that group)...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm a huge Springsteen fan and many years ago journalists tried to label him as his generation's Dylan but I compare it to sports writers trying to label a new baseball player as his generation's Mantle. Springsteen has a pretty wide scope of writing and performing so you'll find many influences, so certainly Dylan is in there but so is Chuck Berry, Elvis, Seeger, but ultimately Bruce is The Boss. @SoCaTim, you can clearly tell in some of the tracks off The River that Bruce had something very important to him to say but he also had some really pop type songs as well as just rock and roll. To me Nebraska exhibits more of a Dylan vibe. I drink bourbon to both albums with equal ease.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    You Gotta Serve Somebody.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You Gotta Serve Somebody.
    ......and you may call me dilly!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Boy, that's a hard question. The 1st album I had was "Highway 61 Revisited," bought it from the straight to cut-out bin at the local supermarket for .50. All those songs stick in my memory. But probably my fave is "Its All Over Now Baby Blue," as sung by Joan Baez. After that," Knockin' on Heaven's Door," by Bob himself, w. the cover by Garcia also being much liked.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth Isn't like a law or something in Canada that you aren't allowed to hate on fellow Canucks? Do you get a pass since you're an ex-pat? Do you still need to apologize?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth Isn't like a law or something in Canada that you aren't allowed to hate on fellow Canucks? Do you get a pass since you're an ex-pat? Do you still need to apologize?
    I do have to be very careful where, when and to who I say it. Same thing with Gordon Lightfoot!
    Options
    I'm a huge Springsteen fan and many years ago journalists tried to label him as his generation's Dylan but I compare it to sports writers trying to label a new baseball player as his generation's Mantle. Springsteen has a pretty wide scope of writing and performing so you'll find many influences, so certainly Dylan is in there but so is Chuck Berry, Elvis, Seeger, but ultimately Bruce is The Boss. @SoCaTim, you can clearly tell in some of the tracks off The River that Bruce had something very important to him to say but he also had some really pop type songs as well as just rock and roll. To me Nebraska exhibits more of a Dylan vibe. I drink bourbon to both albums with equal ease.
    Finally, a voice of reason @Hokie_Smoker
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    I do have to be very careful where, when and to who I say it. Same thing with Gordon Lightfoot!
    @nolaegghead We don't need to apologize up here for what we like and don't like. Gordon Lightfoot had one good song, IMO. There isn't one song that I like by Rush. I pretty much love anything the Tragically Hip has done! 
    It's all personal preference. 
    Dylan and Neil were pioneer's tho! They paved the way!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    Way to many to pick just one.
    Read this on another site.
    "The brilliant thing about Bob Dylan's lyrics is you will probably never understand them but they sound so interesting and inviting, you can't help but plunge into them."
    Niceville, Fl
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Don't Think Twice It's All Right. Love his version and the Peter Paul and Mary version.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC