Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch peppers roasting on an open fire,

Options
They have arrived at the Hy Vee store in Iowa.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice. I forgot to get some this year and I think its over down here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Nice. I forgot to get some this year and I think its over down here.
    Harvest just started here in NM 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I called around and most places near me in Ohio get the first shipment in next week . . I bet your ok.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good!  We absolutely Love em. How many bushels are you roasting?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Looking good.  PSA - don't try taking out your contacts after peeling!

So far I've tried these babies on grilled cheese, philly cheesesteak, eggs, burgers - LOVE THEM!

@griffin - I'm in AZ and we just started getting them here, fyi
    Phoenix 
  • johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question and ask what you do with all of these hatch chilis that you roast?  I'm not really familiar with them other than I know they only produce once a year. Are they really spicy or mild?  what all do you make with all the pounds of chilis you roast?  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @johnl350 We peel and portion. We use them in many dishes. They can be both mild and hot just like any pepper. 50# raw yields around maybe 30#-40#roasted after peeling and portioning. Here's our 2nd bushel (a bushel is roughly 25# raw). 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @johnl350 The New Mexico green chile has a ton of uses. They have a ton of flavor and depending on the variety, a mild to a medium hot heat. Most of what is commonly referred to as Hatch chile are a NewMex 4-6 or a Big Jim, both of which are a variety of a New Mexico Chile grown in the region surrounding Hatch New Mexico and both are somewhat mild or medium. The Big Jim generally comes in at about 2500 Scoville units compared to a Jalapeño which can be 5000-10000 Scoville units. As far as uses go, the skies the limit. Nearly anything Mexican of course as well as Mac and cheese, scones, green chile apple pie, salsa, sauces, stews and hundreds of other dishes. The most often consumed around my place is a simple grilled turkey and swiss on rye sandwich. Add a roasted chile or two to that before grilling and it takes a basic sandwich up several levels.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
     Most of what is commonly referred to as Hatch chile are a NewMex 4-6 or a Big Jim, both of which are a variety of a New Mexico Chile grown in the region surrounding Hatch New Mexico and both are somewhat mild or medium. The Big Jim generally comes in at about 2500 Scoville units compared to a Jalapeño which can be 5000-10000 Scoville units.
    Can the varieties be grown elsewhere successfully or does it flavor come from the specific soil/climate combination? 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a source for great green chile recipes.  I got on their mailing list a few years back and every week or so a new recipe appears.  Have also bought products from them since the chiles never make it to Florida fresh.

http://denvergreenchili.com/category/recipes/
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Satch_Q  said "simple grilled turkey and swiss on rye sandwich. Add a roasted chile or two to that before grilling and it takes a basic sandwich up several levels." . . . never had that, but I love that already.  This will be in my belly soon, thanks for idea.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    johnl350 said:
    Can I ask a dumb question and ask what you do with all of these hatch chilis that you roast?  I'm not really familiar with them other than I know they only produce once a year. Are they really spicy or mild?  what all do you make with all the pounds of chilis you roast?  
    They have a big range in heat, like many peppers, depending on growing conditions and strand. I've had very mild to some really hot ones. Just as @NPHuskerFL mentioned, I also portion and freeze the chiles after de-seeding, de-stemming, and peeling. Lots of uses year round, many things I can't imagine making without them: queso, burgers, burritos, spanish rice, green chile dip (amazing), rellenos, mac n cheese, sandwiches, tacos, anything involving eggs, etc. Basically the combination of green chiles and cheese can make anything amazing.

I'm originally from Houston, TX, and now living in Albuquerque, the green chiles have almost replaced jalapenos in many of my cooks (other than ABTs).

Ragtop99 said:
    Satch_Q said:
     Most of what is commonly referred to as Hatch chile are a NewMex 4-6 or a Big Jim, both of which are a variety of a New Mexico Chile grown in the region surrounding Hatch New Mexico and both are somewhat mild or medium. The Big Jim generally comes in at about 2500 Scoville units compared to a Jalapeño which can be 5000-10000 Scoville units.
    Can the varieties be grown elsewhere successfully or does it flavor come from the specific soil/climate combination? 

I've had friends buy and grow plants in many different conditions for a single season. However starting from seeds, I'm not sure how they'd do. I know for a fact the soil nutrient levels and climate will affect how hot the produced chiles are too.

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Ragtop99 They can be grown elsewhere. I'm in northern Utah and have no problems whatsoever. I would assume the climate and soil need to be similar and both will have an effect on the flavor/heat. They grow so well here we stopped shopping around years ago.

Here's one day's harvest of our Big Jim's. We start all of our plants from seed, indoors about mid-February.

• Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    @blasting Where in AZ are you?  I'm in PHX this week for work and was hoping to pick some up.  I tried looking around Atlanta and couldn't find any.
  • johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks fo all the helpful info. I'm definitely going to look for son this year to try!
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    NDG said:
    I called around and most places near me in Ohio get the first shipment in next week . . I bet your ok.
    I picked up 29# at Lucky's Market on North High St. Near Clintonville last Thursday. They were $1.99 lb on sale. Drove over from Newark. Produce manager said they would be having them for the next four weeks or so. Give them a call 614 447 0248.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    blasting said:
    Looking good.  PSA - don't try taking out your contacts after peeling!

So far I've tried these babies on grilled cheese, philly cheesesteak, eggs, burgers - LOVE THEM!

@griffin - I'm in AZ and we just started getting them here, fyi
    A pound of ground beef , an onion , some garlic and potatoes and 6+ hatch chiles makes for some good green chile stew 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Jcacavias said:
    @blasting Where in AZ are you?  I'm in PHX this week for work and was hoping to pick some up.  I tried looking around Atlanta and couldn't find any.

Phoenix.  It's unfortunate you have to be in Phoenix in August.  Without a doubt the very worst month to spend time here, but welcome to you anyways.

So far I've bought 2 batches from two different grocery stores.  Food City will probably have the freshest ones I'm thinking.  I'm going to buy a more substantial amount from them before the season is done.

Phoenix